Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice/ Help Please

FIAT500

Hi,

I recently scrapped my L reg 1.6 Carina EXi due to it failing its MOT and purchased a W reg Toyota Avensis estate 1.8 gs.

It has 100,000 miles on the clock, a few dents and scratches, partial service history with 1 owner.

I purchased it last Wednesday, 6th August, from a garage but I did not get a warranty with it.

I paid £1000, this included 6 months tax and 12 months MOT and half a tank of petrol.

I checked on Parkers and What Car! and they said the value of a decent one should be approx £1300, so I haven't paid over the odds.

I did a HPi check and it was clean.

I looked the car over before buying it, checked the suspension, drove it, looked underneath, lifted the bonnet, checked the tyres it all seemed ok.

There are a few scratches and dents on the car but I have had the paint made up by Halfords to cover these.

the central locking does not work, if I open the drivers door, it opens all the others but if I lock it, it doesn't close the others, not too bothered about this ideally would like it working.

The wing mirrors do not work, are these just electric or heated on this model? and looking at replacing them.

I mainly bought the car for its reliability and space, I only do about 5000 miles a year and hope to get at least 50,000 miles out of it.

The main issue that concerns me is the slight shuddering / juddering that occurs everytime I drive it.

It occurs for a max of 5 seconds a time, but sometimes its 3-4 times in one drive others it is less but it occurs when i accelerate/decelerate, change gear, slow down speed up.

I notice this type of thing is mentioned in a number of posts, fuel injection, leads are things to look at.

My main points are:

should I get my car serviced

is this juddering a bad thing how can I fix it

do I have any comeback with the garage I bought from

can the c locking be sorted relatively inexpensively

are wing mirrors easy to fit do i need electric or heated electric ones

thanks

FIAT500

Lock fault could be a faulty drivers door latch or faulty integration relay.

hi, thanks for that I will look into it

obviously as I have only had the car for a week, even without a warranty I should have some sort of comeback with the garage, before I touch it, ie get new wing mirrors, touch up scratches, get it seviced I have to decide if it is worth keeping.

The juddering is the main thing worrying me, apart from that I am definitely going to keep the car, but will this be expensive to sort out, would a service cure it, looked at service history not serviced since 2005.

advice?

regards

FIAT500

• 2 months later...

Hello again,

How have you got on with your locks? My husband has just sorted 3 of the locks on my 2.0GLi auto CarinaE Estate.

The Estate hatch:( Kept staying locked, he found that the plastic on the catch was damaged, he removed the bad section & it's worked faultlessly since.)

The Nearside front door:(would not open if the handle was touched before the C/L had opened it. He discovered a temp quick fix measure, but now has stripped it down & discovered a broken spring,he has got pics of that. Again it now works faultlessly.)

And finally the Offside Rear door:(It rarely opened or locked on the C/L, upon inspection he discovered the C/L motor was a bit "sticky". He sat with it watching the TV having sprayed WD on it first, simply twiddling with it. He then ran it on a Motorcycle Battery for a while & it too has worked faultlessly.)

He obviously lubricated everything extremely well upon rebuild.

He's previously given a brief run down of what he had done on another forum. So if you explain your problem I'll get him to post some advice on here.

We've had Carinas for about 9 years now so are pretty well upto speed on the common faults & cures. I'm sure the early Avensis aren't dramatically different.

FB

P.S .I tried to phone you earlier,no answer,

will try again tomorrow,

or you could get back to me with a suitable time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links