Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Intermittently Loses Power

ClubMem

I would like to know the solution. I also have a 53 plate T3X D4D. Only done 50,000 miles but have had had the problem for the last 10,000

My problem has been similar in that the engine goes into "safety mode" when accelerating above 2,500 revs and I have to turn off, wait 5 secs and turn on again. The engine management system light comes on. Usually happens when the engine is cold. Initially when accelerating hard, e.g. up a hill, but now happens any time/any temperature, but intermittendly. I also get a drone in the exhaust.

Two dealers said it was a fault with the wastegate. I had the Turbo reconditioned but still have the problem. I have also used Injector cleaner.

I will get my mechanic to look at the suggestions above, but any other thoughts for hie to look at?

Have duplicated this entry on: http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88506

just to let you know i have still not got problem sorted

mechanic is working on another avensis with same problem and has tried several things, that he and other mechanic's have discussed but to no avail.

has anyone had any luck

my car is currently parked up for almost 3 weeks now, because i am afraid of doing harm to the engine by driving it? plus the fact that is going extremely badly even on the flat now, and i do not want to break down somewhere.

I would like to know the solution. I also have a 53 plate T3X D4D. Only done 50,000 miles but have had had the problem for the last 10,000

My problem has been similar in that the engine goes into "safety mode" when accelerating above 2,500 revs and I have to turn off, wait 5 secs and turn on again. The engine management system light comes on. Usually happens when the engine is cold. Initially when accelerating hard, e.g. up a hill, but now happens any time/any temperature, but intermittendly. I also get a drone in the exhaust.

Two dealers said it was a fault with the wastegate. I had the Turbo reconditioned but still have the problem. I have also used Injector cleaner.

I will get my mechanic to look at the suggestions above, but any other thoughts for hie to look at?

Have duplicated this entry on: http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88506

Can you stop linking your thread

we are trying to help you diagnoise the problem.

just to let you know i have still not got problem sorted

mechanic is working on another avensis with same problem and has tried several things, that he and other mechanic's have discussed but to no avail.

has anyone had any luck

my car is currently parked up for almost 3 weeks now, because i am afraid of doing harm to the engine by driving it? plus the fact that is going extremely badly even on the flat now, and i do not want to break down somewhere.

Hi Aidy if you get any information on your car can you please let me know my own avensis has been going like this for months now!i am a taxi driver in antrim northern ireland and i have had to take my avensis off the road because it would not pull the cap off your head,i had to buy another car to keep me going untill i can find out what is wrong with my own what pain,whatever happend to the car in front is a toyota not anymore its not.Shame on Toyota. :angry:

Hi,

I've got an Avensis 53 reg D-cat which has been losing power intermittantly and blowing out blue smoke, usually on speeds over 60mph but recently the problem has become more general. Over the last year it has been back to the dealers quite a few times and they have not been able to find anything wrong with it. the pipes have been cleaned and all they have done is reset my engine management system. This while being under warrenty , now its been back in again and they are saying the turbo needs replacing costing £1750. :angry:

But given the amount of problems you guys have had, surely the dealers should have an idea from these symptons that the turbo is goosed!

Well, i am still off the road, although there may be a bit of hope.

I was having no luck on this forum (the avensis one), but i assumed that the rav 4 was probably having the same problem with their d4d engine, which they are (see rav4 forum on this site). Here i found that one chap has fixed his problem by changing the scv valves on the fuel pump. I have not tried this yet but am going to, will keep you posted.

Does anyone here think this will work???

See link below

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87986

ok guys,

Since you are all on about faulty "turbos" let me give you some facts.

Turbos dont work intermitantley

They work on the gas produced by the engine and circulate it via the turbine.

To check your turbo - do the following

1 - turn engine off

2 - remove airbox

3 - Remove airbox pipe

4 - Look at the turbo - you will see a fanblade

5 - Turn the fan blade

6 - Does the fan blade spin without making noises

7 - Now grab the nipple of the fan

8 - Pull it and push it gentaly.

9 - Push the nipple to the side

Info about 8 - 9 , You are checking for "excess" play in the shaft.

It should move alittle - But not alot

If you have the following symptoms

1 - Lack of Power

2 - Black clouds of smoke

3 - Poor fuel economy

4 - Intermitant power

5 - Surges of power

6 - hard starting in cold / warm

7 - Stalling

8 - Making ticking noises.

You need to look at the following things.

You need to do this step first, before you attempt the below

1 - Service Car, Change all Filters and oil

Hard Starting Issues

2.1 - Check Starter Motor

2.2 - Check Battery

2.3 - Check Relay

2.4 - Check for ecu codes

2.5 - Check Glow Plug resistance

2.6 - Check Rail Pressure

2.7 - Check Rail Pressure sensor

2.8 - Check SCV

High Idle / No Pulling Power / Loss of Power / Black Smoke / Hesitation in pulling / Intermitant power

3 - Check for ECU codes

3.1 - Check EGR Valves ( You may have two )

3.2 - Check MAF Sensor

3.3 - Check Turbo Pipes

3.4 - Check Turbo

3.5 - Check wiring (take off engine cover and look for loose / bad connectors)

3.6 - Check Rail Pressure sensor

3.7 - Check Rail Pressure

3.8 - Check Injectors

3.9 - Check SCV

If its the fuel its probably a really dirty clogged up fuel filter. I dont know thats what guessing.

If its the fuel its probably a really dirty clogged up fuel filter. I dont know thats what guessing.

Hence why I said do step 1

Hi Guys

I have had the same problem for the last few weeks, losing power for no apparent reason, I realized Leading up to

the start of the problems I had been using diesel from Tesco. For two to three months I had only used diesel from Tesco,

losing power, black smoke, generally running crap. By chance I filled up at BP, problem solved runs like it's new.

Could be coincidence you choose. :thumbsup:

;) B)

back on the road

it turned out it was the egr valve, my mechanic fixed my car and another avensis with the same problem this weekend. took out the egr valve cleaned it thoroughly of all soot and charcoal with a small wire brush. soaked it in wd40 for 30minutes and refitted. going no problem since

there was buildup of soot and charcoal in it, which makes it stick and mess about with your car

hope this helps other people

• 2 weeks later...

Whey-hey, we gotta new turbo from toyota to rectify the problem........on warranty,drum roll please and a box of tissues, it's not sorted we had it two weeks and plumes of blue smoke come from the exhaust AGAIN aaarrrgh. :crybaby:

I'm beginning to think that there is an oil leak that is contaminating the turbo causing it to fail.

Never mind just cleaning out the pipes, whats the point, find where the oil leak is coming from, find that and your problems are solved.

Oh and for the record we were out of warranty, but because the fault was queried 3 times with the dealer starting 6 months previous to the warranty expiring, they honoured it.

Hoping now that they will delve a little deeper to see what the problem is.

Will let you guys know how we get on regarding repairs and cost........ ;)

gt2-01

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota RRG have had the car back with blue smoke problems again, they told us that we have to run the car for 200 miles to burn off what ever. When my wife told me this i was very sceptical as this fault was now 18 months old. We have now covered over 200 miles and hey we still have the blue smoke following us like the preverbial pain in the *****.

It's going back to RRG and we will not accept it back until it's fixed. :blink: :censor: :crybaby: :ffs: :unsure:

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX THE BLUE SMOKE PROBLEM PLEEEEEASE........

Hi I've been unable to drive for a few weeks but have finally got the car sorted. it was the EGR valve.

symptoms:car ok til warmed up (however once or twice was sounding like a tractor when trying to start) then loss of power felt like massive turbo lag, turbo would kick in around 3,000 revs (sometimes more sometimes less). loads of black smoke and it would pull like a train.

Problem got progressivly worse as time went on.

Got it fixed at http://www.shortsauto.co.uk/ Swansea or cardiff cost £305 plus VAT could have cleaned it up and tried it but just changed it first as last.

Thank You for your help and advice hope this helps someone else. :D

• 3 weeks later...

About 9 months ago my 2004 (80000 miles) Avensis diesel would lose power and fail to accelerate at 60-75 mph, and throw out black smoke. This problem was very intermittent, occurring about once every 4 weeks or so, and could be cured by either stopping, and re-starting the engine, or revving the engine without any load.

The garage suggested that I stop using supermarket fuel, and this seemed to lessen the problem for a while.

However the lack of acceleration and smoke persisted and worsened over the last 3 months.

Back to the Toyota main dealer, and they reported that they had seen a few similar problems which had been cured by cleaning out the fuel tank and the "brillo pad" type filter in the tank. This was done 2 weeks ago with a lot of foreign matter being removed, but the problem remained, now happening on a daily basis when acceleration was required in a high gear at about 1800 revs.

So after reading other people experiences on this forum, it was back in to the main dealer to request an EGR valve clean. The garage tried the car out for 2 days and cleaned the EGR valve.

Having driven the car for over 1000 miles since under all conditions, the problem has gone, and I am taking bottles of wine to my local T. main dealer.

To any others with this problem, best follow CMIA' s advice and go through the checks with your garage in a systematic way, starting with the cheaper possibilities, rather than diving in with their expensive possible solutions.

• 5 weeks later...

Problem seems to be sorted (been a week without a re-occurence - so fingers crossed!)

Wastgate has been repaired (needed a new part). I now know that the wastegate is seperate to the turbo. I'll be going back to the dealer who advised me the car did not have a wastegate for an explanation and hopefully a refund of the money paid to my mechanic for the unnecessary refurb of the turbo itself.

To any others with this problem, best follow CMIA' s advice and go through the checks with your garage in a systematic way, starting with the cheaper possibilities, rather than diving in with their expensive possible solutions.

always look at the cheaper option, before replacing expensive parts for no reason

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem with my 01 Corolla 1.4 VVT-i. I just randomly does it. It usually does it between 2000-3000rpm and the car just completely looses all power, slows down and then kicks all the power back in again and pulls like a dream. I have no idea what is wrong and i haven't got it looked at yet. So it seems to be the exact same problem as yours. Iv also noticed my feul consumption is suffering slightly because of it.

Anyone any ideas?

1.4 VVTI = petrol

were talking about diesel engines.

Generally, i would look at ..

TB / Airleaks Vac Leaks.

O2 / Lambada sensors.

sparkplugs

spark leads.

Make your topic, iam sure we can help you root the problem down

My 03 Avensis hatchback intermittently loses power and slows down after driving it on a motorway for around 20 to 30 minutes and at a speed of around 60-70 miles an hour. When this happens, pressing on the accelerator makes no difference whatsoever, that is, the engine does not rev up and the car gradually slows down and then all of a sudden it starts accelerating again. The problem has happened (with much less frequency) even when I have driven the car only for a short distance on city roads at a speed of 20-30 miles an hour.

My local Toyota dealership has not been able to detect the cause of this problem. They advised me that their computer does not show anything wrong with the car, and also, their mechanic has driven the car but has not noticed any thing wrong with it. Clearly, being an intermittent problem makes it difficult to detect its cause.

I would be grateful if anyone could hint at what might be wrong with the car.

I had simillar problem. It was caused by a fuel valve the did not let enough fuel through causing to much back presure making the engine management to !Removed! the ignition. Toyota know about the problem. after replacement mine runs perfect. This was with a petrol engine.

• 5 years later...

My Matrix 2007 lost power as well twice over the last six months after the engine was warm and driving at low speed. The last time it did the same thing when I turned the key, it slammed and jerked when I put it in drive, then when I pressed on the gas pedal it would only move at idling speed, with no response or acceleration. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Wheres the fuel filter?

where's the 'fine filter case' to drain water from?

Gettign similar, bit of hesitation like ive taken my foot of the accelerator

Any fixes I can do now to avoid failur ein futer (additiv eor other?)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links