Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Problem-weird Noise

vti-chris

I have a late 07 Auris 1.4 D4D and whenever i try to go when releasing the clutch i hear a "DANG" noise, like there is a gap between the gears and they hit each other.Or when changing gears at on an uphill road most noticeable from 1st to 2nd gear.

I've seen the announcement about the drive shafts...could this be it?

I also have A LOT of road noise...has anyone else experienced this?

IS it due to the tires?

does this happen everytime you change gear?

Or does it just happen when you set off after turning the car on? When you set off you will hear a noise similar to what you described. This is the abs pump charging into action. This also happens when abs has been activated in an emergency stop or heavy breaking.

Its normal.... but if it isn't this then there maybe a problem as what you described isn't normal. I dont have a problem with road noise either.

It seems that there is a wrong meshing in the gears somewhere or drive shafts and does this sound.

I've taken it to Toyota garage today...lets see what they have to say about it.

I also want to ask...is there a simple way to check if there is a traction control system on the car besides spinning the tires?

I've tried it once but the "small" spinning didn't seem to enable the traction control.Didn't want to "push" the car.

Does it take some time in order for it to engage?

Took it from Toyota service a while ago.

They said it's the gear backlash and that is normal to these cars. ;)

Anyone heard of this before?

Nope, never heard of that one before!

if your car has traction there will be a button down near the electric mirror switch which will enable you to turn traction on and off. Unless it was fitted as an option by the previous owner then you wont have it as standard on that spec

• 2 weeks later...
I also want to ask...is there a simple way to check if there is a traction control system on the car besides spinning the tires?

I've tried it once but the "small" spinning didn't seem to enable the traction control.Didn't want to "push" the car.

With my D4D 1.4 (190 N/m) I can't even activate traction control while starting the car. It's just too heavy.

I can do it easily with lighter cars with slightly more torque but the 1.4.. well..

• 2 weeks later...

My car has developed something similar recently. I have service coming next month so I'm going to ask about it as I am not sure if "gear backslash" is something normal to these cars.

With my D4D 1.4 (190 N/m) I can't even activate traction control while starting the car. It's just too heavy.

I can do it easily with lighter cars with slightly more torque but the 1.4.. well..

You can't activate traction control while starting the car because it's too heavy? What is that supposed to mean? :huh:

What's "starting the car" and "activating the traction control" got to do with each other?

I had same answer when took mine in. Its more of a clunck mid way thru lifting clutch - was told it was normal too.

It never used to do it till had done about 10k tho :-/

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Auris owners i am new to this forum with a 08 plate Auris D-4D 3dr

the car is Fantastic BUT looking on this forum i have the same wierd noise that a few have you have noticed on there Auris's

the vehicle Has been into my local dealership in the Manchester/rochdale area (dont want to name them for legal reason) ;)

I took the car to them with this noise suspecting there was a gearbox fault ie "chatter" at idle and when the engine is swithched off also there is a "chatter" in first gear at about 1,000 to 1500 RPM :( also you can bring the noise on by dipping the clutch -noise goes lift clutch pedal up noise returns

the dealer changed the throttle butterfly suspecting that was the fault but the noise is still there

I suspect there is a gearbox problem either on the primary gear or lay-shaft what ever it is it is internal

they now suspect the turbo :( :( they now need the car for longer to look at the car further

i have a back ground in Automotive industry and i suspect its not the turbo

i though Toyota was re-nowned for quality

will keep Auris owners

I have 1.6 so no turbo and I can hear the noise. My gearbox has been already changed once and I did some research online. It looks like there were quite few Auris drivers with faults like mine (don't really know what it was as Toyota only said they were not sure what was wrong :unsure: )

Auris was developed in France so I am afraid is going to share PSA cars quality ;)

Is the noise you guys are talking about a knock/clunk type noise, typically with the car in neutral. You press the pedal and when you let it go you get the noise?

No. We are talking about a clunky sound when you change the gear and the clutch is halfway trough (the moment gear is engaged and car starts pulling). Normally from the 1st to 2nd or 3rd in my case.

You are probably talking about the spring which is rather wired too. Toyota did something to mine last time but now the "clonk" is back after few months. I have never heard that in any car I was driving before.

Hello again toyota Auris owners

the noise can be heard when at idle and more so when hot after a long run i do about 98 miles aday round trip

the dealer as told me if it is the gearbox then they will replace the parts that are defective and NOT the geabox NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GregP did you have the gearbox replaced or repaired let us know thanks

i does look like a common fault on the Gearbox has anyone been in contact with Toyota Direct regarding this problem???????????

would like some fed back before i go in with gun's a Blazin.........

GregP did you have the gearbox replaced or repaired let us know thanks

I had my car back to the dealer for brake squeak. I was told that there is a gearbox fault (200 miles on odometer) and they contact me back. Two weeks later I had a call from my dealer and they asked me to leave the car with them for a day or two. When I asked what was wrong then they said they were not sure as the gearbox was replaced and they did not looked inside it (?) :unsure:

I looked online then and I found other Auris users (most of them 1.4) with similar story.

I have service coming soon so I am going ask about it.

I have a late 07 Auris 1.4 D4D and whenever i try to go when releasing the clutch i hear a "DANG" noise, like there is a gap between the gears and they hit each other.Or when changing gears at on an uphill road most noticeable from 1st to 2nd gear.

IS it due to the tires?

Greetings from Cyprus. I am experiencing exactly the same problem. The problem was there since day one. I got it to the dealer and reported it. They did change a few parts related to the clutch but unfortunately the problem persists. I took it back once more and made a complaint. The head of the work shop told me that this is quite normal sound. Just to convince me he showed me a bunch of new Auris and all of them had the same issue. Nevertheless i am still not satisfied even after this demonstration. I 've owned 2 TOYOTA in the past and none of them had this kind of issue. For me the sound and the feeling is more noticeable when the car is idle and releasing the clutch. I can also feel it when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. BTW i own the 1.6Lt car.

Mine does exactly what vti- chris has mentioned ,but also when changing up from second to third gear,.

I was going to wait for my first service to have it investigated, ... however, the rear brakes have started groaning again when i reverse brake, plus some of the wheel nuts are rusting again, so the car is now booked in for these faults, on the 20th october.

I also mentioned to the dealer that after a recent journey down to the dorset coast , i noticed upon arival, that the engine did'nt sound too healthy, it was making a kind of loud rattling noise, which gave me great cause for concern, as it did not sound normal. The same noise was there after i returned home. But when i started the car up the next day, obviously the engine had cooled down, the noise had gone, and has not returned , but i mentioned it anyway, as at the time it did'nt seem right . Has anyone else experienced something similar after a long journey ?

I appreciate that the engine will sound louder after a long journey, but that sound was not normal, and yes i made all the usual pre journey checks i.e oil, water e.c.t

IS it due to the tires?

Greetings from Cyprus. I am experiencing exactly the same problem. The problem was there since day one. I got it to the dealer and reported it. They did change a few parts related to the clutch but unfortunately the problem persists. I took it back once more and made a complaint. The head of the work shop told me that this is quite normal sound. Just to convince me he showed me a bunch of new Auris and all of them had the same issue. Nevertheless i am still not satisfied even after this demonstration. I 've owned 2 TOYOTA in the past and none of them had this kind of issue. For me the sound and the feeling is more noticeable when the car is idle and releasing the clutch. I can also feel it when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. BTW i own the 1.6Lt car.

It's the clutch and somehow related to improved economy in the car apparently.

Better economy means this noise.

Guys this "thing" needs to be solved!!

I mean, is it really a problem or is it normal?

Who can we ask?

If it's not a problem then we are bashing Toyota for no apparent reason.

But if it is a problem then it will not ruin the gearbox i suppose, at least not in the first 3-5 years...it will go out of warranty...and then we will pay for it!!!

The comment above sounds to me like yet another explenation from the toyota dealerships school of lame excuses when in truth they simply don't know !

So they resort to the school of thought that bulls--t baffles brains

Toyota will be runing the rule over my car on monday , so i'll be sure to post part 123432564 of lame excuses , later that day.

As chris has said, the answers will probably out , in the long run. And then we will pay for it !

The comment above sounds to me like yet another explenation from the toyota dealerships school of lame excuses when in truth they simply don't know !

Toyota will be runing the rule over my car on monday , so i'll be sure to post part 123432564 of lame excuses , later that day.

As chris has said, the answers will probably out , in the long run. And then we will pay for it !

Well i guess i owe my dealership an apology for my cynicism, after taking the car out with a technician this morning, to show them when the noise happens, and then leaving the car with them to investigate , they have just told me on the phone that they are going to have to change the CLUTCH PRESSURE PLATE , the work cannot be carried just yet because they will require the car to be left with them for a couple of days, as the rear brake callipers require changing as well, and i will require a courtesy car, so the car will have to be booked in at another date.

• Like 1

Well i guess i owe my dealership an apology for my cynicism, after taking the car out with a technician this morning, to show them when the noise happens, and then leaving the car with them to investigate , they have just told me on the phone that they are going to have to change the CLUTCH PRESSURE PLATE , the work cannot be carried just yet because they will require the car to be left with them for a couple of days, as the rear brake callipers require changing as well, and i will require a courtesy car, so the car will have to be booked in at another date.

Keep us posted. If they manage to completely eliminate the problem and not partially that would be great news. Also try to get some info from your dealer. Did they have any update and instructions from TOYOTA Europe on how to tackle this problem?

I will keep the forum informed as ever, however i have some doubts as to wether or not they have got the diagnosis right ?

To my mind, and i have to stress that i am obviously not a mechanic, but i would have thought that the clutch pressure plate would only be replaced in the event of the clutch slipping, or have i got this wrong ?

If there are any mechanics among us, or someone who has a working knowledge, please could you let me know

My dealers have stated that the time required to change the pressure plate is roughly 7 hours,

I am now feeling a bit nervous about letting them loose on my car, which has only done 2,800 miles, so if there is someone out there who can allay my fears, your comments would be most welcome !

Thanks in advance ....... P.S the work is due to be carried out next monday