Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My New Company Car - Vw Passat 2.0 Tdi Highline

cabcurtains

Hi Folks,

So on Sept 1st, the new wagon arrives and the crappy 308 goes after 4mths of averageness :yahoo: bar the fuel economy ;) , i wonder how the legendry (in some quarters) VAG quality will get on during its time with me. It will be doing at least 150k in the next 3yrs.

Just incase anyone is wondering, Toyota isnt on my car list :( .

How do you reckon she will do?

Cabcurtains: i wonder how the legendry (in some quarters) VAG quality will get on during its time with me

I'm afraid that in my experience, VAG quality is just as you say, a legend, not of good quality but of perceived quality. They are not without there own issues

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on

Kingo :thumbsup:

I've always preached on during my 11yrs in the motor trade about German & Japanese cars being superior, however i havent ever ran a german car long term so it will be intersting to see how she does.

This thread will go on :thumbsup:

French Vs German

I know which i'd prefer! :lol:

4 months with the 308? That's quite good going! :lol:

You'll probably go through a few afm's but other than that - regular services and it should top 150k trouble free miles..

Rash :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

She's arrived (Tuesday) with 1 mile on the clock, have now done 600, only 149,400 to go :lol:

Pros - Engine amazingly Quiet & Punchy (already)

Very solid feeling about every part of it

Cons - Rattle behind the dash

Squeaky brakes

More to follow :)

Passats will go to the moon and back :)

Had one in my last job and it was a lovelly car, bar it was the 2.0 FSI and had the DSG auto box which is just diabolical :lol:

Rest of it was nice though, a decent manual 6 speed and it would have been a damn good car all round :) Would have concidered one for my next motor if it wasnt a huge saloon, as i just dont warrant the need for such a large car :)

The dedicated taxi driver at my work is on his second new shape Passat, the oily bits haven't caused any problems but the cabin quality has left a bit to be desired... Too many rattles and the LHS rear window handle came off in one drivers hand! :lol:

For some reason the RHS headlight has now failed 3 times on his latest car :wacko:

Hope you have many miles of happy motoring :thumbsup:

The dedicated taxi driver at my work is on his second new shape Passat, the oily bits haven't caused any problems but the cabin quality has left a bit to be desired... Too many rattles and the LHS rear window handle came off in one drivers hand! :lol:

For some reason the RHS headlight has now failed 3 times on his latest car :wacko:

Hope you have many miles of happy motoring :thumbsup:

This car is a tool, hopefully she wont let me down :(

Watch out for the fuel pump!!!!!!!

Shes CR rather than PD, so hopefully there wont be an issue with this! Will just be the Guinea Pig other potential issues! :lol:

Has it got the mad 'handbrake'

She has yeah, but they all now come with Autohold so once pressed the handbrake applies itself automatically every time you stop (then releases when the clutch bites, for those who dont know), there still a button on the dash but I never use it. I didn’t really like it to start with but now I think its excellent :) Whilst being a bit unnecessary, I leave her in gear at all times, as the button isn’t as reassuring as a good old ratchet handbrake :lol:

Has it got the mad 'handbrake'

She has yeah, but they all now come with Autohold so once pressed the handbrake applies itself automatically every time you stop (then releases when the clutch bites, for those who dont know), there still a button on the dash but I never use it. I didn’t really like it to start with but now I think its excellent :) Whilst being a bit unnecessary, I leave her in gear at all times, as the button isn’t as reassuring as a good old ratchet handbrake :lol:

It is quite good, bit of a nanny aid though but then things do advance in such ways.

Took me about 20minutes to figure the damn thing out when i first go in the car :lol: Worked a lil different with being an auto aswell, but still similar concept of what you just said, automatically clicked on when you held the brake for a couple of seconds at a stand still then released when you touched the go pedal.

• 2 months later...

Early update, passed 10,000 mls last week, the glovebox still rattles and the seat creaks under my 18+stone bottom, other than that nothing to mention not even oil usage! :)

Funny you should say that , one of our company cars is a Passat. Last week the fuel pump went . :o

Yup we had another go this week too!!!!

Luckily Veedub have supersceded the part now, so when they go, they get replaced with something a little more reliable!

• 4 months later...

Service & Front Tyres at 20k

Dash and Glovebox still rattle like bu*gery!

Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor replaced at 24k today after the EML came on.

Life MPG 48.9

• 9 months later...

Been a while on this one!

Mileage has slowed down a bit with the economic situation but almost 50k now.

Additional Issues:

Central Console now rattles in addition to the glovebox and N/S A Pillar

Rear Tyres are original and are totally out of shape which causes a constant drone like a wheel bearing is on the way out

Both headlamp bulbs popped

Front Tyres replaced again at 45k

Auto Handbrake wont always come off on the first attempt

Cars like new inside and out, nice thick paint :D

Warranty will be gone in the next 2 months

MPG Steady 48/49

• 1 month later...

Almost a year after the last EML, its back :o along with another one flashing away, the warranty has nearly finished now. In with Mr VW tomorrow to find out whats wrong this time...... :unsure:

Yup we have had a week of it with our engineers passats too.

EML light /exhaust sensor x2 this week. Radiator failure, Every single one has had the handbrake failure :D One had the particulate filter fail/clog what ever goes wrong with htem, that was a grand!

Obviously tyres and brakes have worm, but you can't really count them!

Edit: this is Karma Supra!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links