Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr-s Race Car Project

Louie028

Thought you may be interested in a little race car project we are working on here in New Zealand.

Take one of these...

YellaMR-S002.jpg

...strip it down...

MRS-on-spit-2.jpg

...BARE...

pic8080.jpg

Buy one of these as an engine donor...

GSX1300R.jpg

Make a few cuts to make it all fit...

pic004.jpg

...fabricate up some engine, diff and suspension mounts...

Hayabusa-rear-diff.jpg

...add some super lightweight fibreglass & carbon fibre panels...

Fi-Glass-front.jpg

Fi-Glass-rear.jpg

Fi-Glass-parts.jpg

...and hopefully end up with something that looks similar to this. Turbo Hayabusa powered, hopefully arounf 450 hp, somewhere close to 600 kgs...and a whole heap of fun!

MR-S004.jpg

Thats a lovely looking car :thumbsup:

So nice to see a project that gets finished :thumbsup:

I am not jealous :lol: ;)

Very nice effort but have you been able to find a roll cage compatible with any race series?

Paul.

If there is some interest I will keep updating the thread as the build progresses.

Cabcurtains, unfortunately that is not the finished car, just our goal. We are currently at the stage of building the front & rear subframes to mount the engine/drivetrain & suspension.

PaulT, we are building this project 99% in-house so are designing and building our own chrome-moly cage.

The project will get finished, a few of our other projects we have built include;

Ford Falcon XR6 turbo powered 2006 Ford Focus and 2x 2JZ Supra twin turbo powered 1992 Toyota Corolla's plus many others...

a few of the pics can be found here.... http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/Louie028/

Chris.

nicee. looks like an awsome project! definatley keep this updated if you can! :)

looks like loads of work went into that focus too! sweet!

If there is some interest I will keep updating the thread as the build progresses.

Cabcurtains, unfortunately that is not the finished car, just our goal. We are currently at the stage of building the front & rear subframes to mount the engine/drivetrain & suspension.

PaulT, we are building this project 99% in-house so are designing and building our own chrome-moly cage.

The project will get finished, a few of our other projects we have built include;

Ford Falcon XR6 turbo powered 2006 Ford Focus and 2x 2JZ Supra twin turbo powered 1992 Toyota Corolla's plus many others...

a few of the pics can be found here.... http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/Louie028/

Chris.

Interested in the rollcage - as am looking to get 1 built thats lightweight for the RAV I have. Putting a rollcage into it is an objective, but I want it lightweight to minimise the effect on the centre of gravity which is high enough already!!! I've tried a few sites but haven't managed to get info so any details on your plan would be helpful, thanks.

• 1 month later...

The rollcage will be our own design, due to restrictions with space & where the engine is mounted.

Not much visable progress on the project at this stage. Have the subframe that holds the engine etc, all made & mounted. It will also be used to mount the suspension pick-up points. The suspension points have been designed & drawn by a top race car engineer in NZ, so we are just making sure they are all 100% correct.

Recently had the car on the scales and bodyshell, engine, gearbox & "diff" weigh a total of just under 250kg, which is pretty much on track considering there is still some weight to come out of/off the Shell itself...

250kg-MRBusa.jpg

What else can you possibly get rid of?? - the car is looking somewhat bare, what time scale you looking at until completion? I'm waiting patiently. :P

• 1 year later...

Not sure where I was up to with this, as progress has been slow up until recently.......anyway......

Meanwhile, engine wise, we were converting this

GSX1300R.jpg

into this

Hayabusa-rear-diff.jpg

And with Carillo rods, JE Pistons & a whole load of other goodies from APE raceparts in USA, we are aiming for 400hp from the Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo engine.

pic040.jpg

to go in here

pic8196.jpg

we added in a roll cage

pic006.jpg

a very comprehensive one

pic037.jpg

and a quick mock up of body panels to weigh the car. Bodyshell incl. rollcage, most panels, engine, gearbox, diff, seat & controls, suspension arms, shocks etc = 416kg (still needs wheels, brakes & all plumbing etc etc)

pic026.jpg

Finally about a year down the track it finally sits on its own wheels & suspension for the first time

pic022-1.jpg

pic023-1.jpg

Then another mock-up with its bodypanels including BA Falcon V8 Supercar front splitter etc. We are aiming for 400hp & 600kg once finished

pic061.jpg

pic060.jpg

More enthusiasm is generated as it gets closer & closer to being finished, so I will try to keep the thread updated regularly....

More enthusiasm is generated as it gets closer & closer to being finished, so I will try to keep the thread updated regularly....

YES PLEASE Chris :thumbsup:

Stunning effort and looking good ;)

Les

That is frigging awesome!!

I absolutely love projects like this.

Is it aimed for racing in any particular class, or just a very fun plaything?

• 2 weeks later...

That car is already looking way beyond awesome, bet it'll go like a well known farm animals excrement off a particulaly warm and/or shiny shovel! top bombing!! :D

• 2 months later...

Not a lot of visable progress on the car at this stage. One engine is away having all the go-fast internals bits installed, the other is away having the exhaust manifold & intake/plenum finished. Brake parts & adjustable sway bars at at the engineers having final modifications completed. Most of the welding on the chassis is finished, roll cage all finally approved & the chassis is not far away from being ready for painting.

Meantime all the body work has been completed & moulds made etc. The wheel arches in the guards have each been raised about 50mm & widened about 35mm (per side) but we have kept them standard looking. The front splitter/air dam is from a BA Falcon V8 Supercar, the bonnet vents to let the radiator air out are from a Ford GT40. The spare body has just some back from the signwriters yesterday....

pic115.jpg

pic114.jpg

Absolutely stunning car and an amazing project! I wish I had the space to get my car stripped down to that level!

Honestly amazing work done there mate. :thumbsup:

In those latest pics, the 'car' is actually just all the bodywork 'plugs' put together to look like a complete car. We have had it painted up to look like the race car will look, and have used it as a sign on a pole outside our business... Hence why it looks odd & has a massive front screen banner.

pic118.jpg

pic129.jpg

• 1 month later...

We are still waiting on some parts from the engineer before we can paint the bodyshell. The engine is still also away being prepped.

We have just had some of the final lightweight panels arrive for the car...

pic119.jpg

The total weight of the front guard is under 800 grams (just over three quarters of a kg)

As always thanks for keeping us up to date on this Louie :thumbsup:

I'm spoiled now because I can keep track on both forums ;)

Les

• 1 month later...

Well we have finally had some time to make progress on the car finishing the sway bars & plumbing on the car

Have finally got the sway bar parts, so are mounting them to the chassis.

pic137.jpg

Finishing the exhaust manifold and external wastegate piping

pic139.jpg

Mounting the liquid intercooler & the turbo piping & sorting where the exhaust will go

pic130.jpg

Mounting & plumbing up the Dry sump tank

pic138.jpg

And are also finalizing all the plumbing for the engine & intercooler radiators which run from the engine& intercooler at the back of the car through to the radiators at the front. The intercooler pipes run along the top sill in the pic, the engine radiator pipes run through the tunnel in the centre of the car

pic136.jpg

Great work mate, looks amazing. Keep us updated as it goes on. When are you hoping to have her on track?

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links