Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Best Place To Buy Fuel

liverpoolmiss

There's been the occassional comment on here about getting better mpg from certain garages compared to others.

This topic is an attempt to see if this is true.

1) Has anyone monitored their mpg after filling up at different garages?

2) Is it only diesel, or does it apply to petrol as well?

3) Do any differences apply across all cars?

Facts and figures would be great! Please say what car you drive, what sort of difference you think it makes etc.

Hopefully between us we'll get an idea of all the main chains and supermarkets!

I have seen a discussion about this on another forum. It seems that opinions vary, in my last car I felt that I got better MPG from Shell diesel than Tesco (these were the 2 I usually used). Other drivers were of the opinion they had no difference at all and it depended more on the types of journey and how many hills there were in their local area. Apparently Norfolk and the Fens are areas where you can get very good MPG.

Only got 5,000 miles on the Verso so far so I am expecting the figures to continue to get better until at least the 10,000 mile mark. Saying that they are matching or better than the quoted 44mpg to date using both supermarket and other branded fuel.

There are so many factors that affect the economy (weather, traffic, route, air con, weight, speed) etc etc, unless the test is conducted scientifically then getting true results will be difficult.

I have found Shell Optimax Petrol & Diesel to be better than others, however the trips were never the same so it’s not a true test.

I wonder if there has ever been a test with the same conditions but different fuel brands? That would be interesting :)

I definitely found that I got better MPG in my Hilux running BP ultimate diesel.

According t the trip computer The M3 seems to get better average mpg on Vpower and BP ultimate... Esso supreme and Tesco 99 ron don't do as well, the car also lurches a little running the latter two. (odd as the supra loved Tesco 99 Ron)

However, as said above there are huge differences depending on conditions... I try to drive as economicly as possible... I can get it as high as 30 mpg on the way to work if I try! (and if traffic is not too bad!)

From experience, get fuel from the big two, BP or Shell.

I would also suggest getting Super Unleaded/Diesel. Although it costs a few quid extra in all, you will get better mileage and it will help clean your engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links