Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Tried Chip Oil On Their D-4d ?

skk

Hi I have a 2001 Avensis D-4D. i was wondering if i'd be able to run it on chip fat vegi or sunflower oil. Has anyone here tried it on their D-4D's before??? thanks

Hi I have a 2001 Avensis D-4D. i was wondering if i'd be able to run it on chip fat vegi or sunflower oil. Has anyone here tried it on their D-4D's before??? thanks

do not even try !!! otherwise be ready to purchase the new engine instead.

both lubrication properties and alcalinity index are very important for diesel engine.

the veg oil you stated has neither first of second.

cheers

People have done it, and will tell you how good it is but the D4D fuel system is a very high pressure pump and injectors made to very fine tolerences, for which chip fat is not best suited! It may run on it, but long term you may be doing severe damage. It is tempting due to cost etc but do you want the engine to go bang at some stage? :no:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Dont bother unless you want a new engine.

vegetable oil work perfectly fine in some diesel engines with out modifications, mainly older indirect injection engines. It is possible to run any engine on vegetable oil but it will require more time and effort and technology then you probably have.

If you do want to run your car on straight veg oil go to http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php and do some reading and see what is involved. BUt since the d4d is direct injection it will have to be twin tanked to run with minimal possibility of damage to the engine. I think a company call smartveg has had some experince twin tanking with high pressure diesel engines running them on veg so they might be another port of call.

BUT since your car is D4d and an direct injection engine most of the damage is caused inside the cyclinder during cold operation on start up, basically the veg oil gets past the pistons/values due to build up and once the veg oil is in the engine/lube oil it polymerises and turns to jelly destroying the engine. That is assuming the cold vegetable oil doesnt break the fuel pump.

There are also some doubts about running on biodiesel due to the 5th injector for cleaning the particular filter possibly causing biodiesel to get in to the engine oil and cause damage. But most reports ive seen of people runnning on it has been positive, all bar some injector issues probably caused by poor quality biodiesel containing soap or water.

Hope that helps?

I did a post on biodiesel earlier in the year, you'll be able to find it from my profile. As for just chucking chip fat/veg oil in...you're a braver man than me for even considering it! Can't see how that works at all? Anyway, that's my 2p worth.

Well this is probably totally irrelevant, but I have been running an Isuzu Big Horn import 1992 3.1 TD on 50% chip/veg/second hand restaurant fryer oil for a little over 2 years, back in the days when you had to register and fill in a return to HM Rusty and Exhorcised!

Up to 50% in spring/summer/autumn and around 20% in winter. I have a heater in the fuel line which comes on at 10deg C. I have ane electric heater which consists of 2 glow plugs in an alloy block, which can be manually switched on in cold weather, just before filter next to engine and a line water heater in the fuel line just prior to this.

In cold weather I switch to my second tank, which contains just Diesel, flow and return, with a 20 second delay switch on return, to minimise veg oil contamination. About 1K mile from home, switching it over to my main tank again, when temperature guage reaches about 1/2 max running temp. About 2K on the road. I have never had any trouble at all with this set up, but I don't think you wanna go this far and spend this much do you?

If anyone does try it, better to use well used and filtered oil, which combusts and pumps better 'cos its thinner etc. and for similar pumping reasons, the cheapest, poorest quality, thinnest veggie cooking oil.