Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lost In France

sjn

Hello,

Hope someone can help with advice.

I have owned a Hiace Supercustom for about four years & have driven extensively round France during this time. Earlier this year it had an overheating problem whilst in Alsace & was diagnosed as a thermostat problem by a French mechanic. Thermostat was removed in France & replaced on my return to UK, although it improved the overheating it still did overheat on steep inclines on the return journey. Two weeks ago I went to Brittany & it overheated again (12km from our destination). This time a mechanic said it was head gasket & 'something else inside'. It is still in France awaiting repatriation with my breakdown company.

It is a 1992 diesel with 112000 on the clock, it has always been very reliable & I have had immense fun with it. Can anyone advise on repair costs, where to repair & if it is worth doing. I would like to continue my treks around France & so need a similar vehicle but when I look at alternatives they just don't live up to the Hiace (apart from mpg that is).

Hello,

I have owned a Hiace Supercustom for about four years & have driven extensively round France during this time. Earlier this year it had an overheating problem whilst in Alsace & was diagnosed as a thermostat problem by a French mechanic. Thermostat was removed in France & replaced on my return to UK, although it improved the overheating it still did overheat on steep inclines on the return journey. Two weeks ago I went to Brittany & it overheated again (12km from our destination). This time a mechanic said it was head gasket & 'something else inside'. It is still in France awaiting repatriation with my breakdown company.

It is a 1992 diesel with 112000 on the clock, it has always been very reliable & I have had immense fun with it. Can anyone advise on repair costs, where to repair & if it is worth doing. I would like to continue my treks around France & so need a similar vehicle but when I look at alternatives they just don't live up to the Hiace (apart from mpg that is).

Hi there, i broke down in Spain in my royal lounge townace, and I like yourself had done many miles abroad

It took my repair company 10.5hrs just to get to me and then 6 weeks to get my vehicle back home

Unfortunatly I had to strip her for parts as she was not repairable without spending an awfull lot of money

I have since brought a townace super extra with only 68,ooo miles on the clock and have done the cambelt, oil and fuel filter, new glow plugs etc

and put in my royal lounge interior

I took mine for a spin yesterday and covered 285 km's averaging 36.4mpg

I really want a super extra only because its a tad longer on the body

Mine is now up for sale at a very respectable £1700

I think yours is probably going to be quite expensive to repair unless you can do it yourself

Is yours the 2.4 or 3.0 turbo diesel?

Regards

Ian

Hello,

Hi there, i broke down in Spain in my royal lounge townace, and I like yourself had done many miles abroad

It took my repair company 10.5hrs just to get to me and then 6 weeks to get my vehicle back home

Unfortunatly I had to strip her for parts as she was not repairable without spending an awfull lot of money

I have since brought a townace super extra with only 68,ooo miles on the clock and have done the cambelt, oil and fuel filter, new glow plugs etc

I think yours is probably going to be quite expensive to repair unless you can do it yourself

Regards

Ian

Hello,

Regards

Ian

Hello Ian,

It's the 2.4 & I have just taken a call from the breakdown people saying it is in Ipswich & will be delivered tomorrow morning! hows that for service?

Hello,

Regards

Ian

Hello Ian,

It's the 2.4 & I have just taken a call from the breakdown people saying it is in Ipswich & will be delivered tomorrow morning! hows that for service?

The only advantage about bieng left for so long is that the rescue company paid for car hire for a month, give me a brand new car to come home in and £150 compensation

Not bad for a £45 policy

HI

I HAVE GOT A VERY NICE E REG TOWNACE SUPER CUSTOM HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR TOURING AS IT IS VERY SPACIOUS, LIKE A BEDROOM REALLY :)

MY CAR HAS COVERED GENUINE 99000 KM NOT MILES - PERSON BEFORE ME LET IT ROT IN HIS GARDEN FOR 7 YEARS BEFORE I GOT MY HANDS ON IT, ONLY PROBLEM WITH IT WAS 1 DODGY INJECTOR

I CAN HELP ON PARTS, IS IT 2.4 OR 3.0 LITRE I CAN GET YOU GENUINE PARTS IMPORTED, USED BUT IN EXCELLENT CONDITION

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I have had the repairs done by Japcars in Hythe Kent, needed head replacing, all seems ok now. Very good service & friendly people with a no quibble return policy if needed. however may be upgrading to something newer & am considering a Previa. Can you sleep in them; do the seats fold flat as in the Hiace?

Simon

Hello,

I have had the repairs done by Japcars in Hythe Kent, needed head replacing, all seems ok now. Very good service & friendly people with a no quibble return policy if needed. however may be upgrading to something newer & am considering a Previa. Can you sleep in them; do the seats fold flat as in the Hiace?

Simon

Depends on which Previa you are talking about. The old Mk1 shape is by far the best both in terms of comfort and size and indeed if you get the 8 seater the rear seats fold down into a double bed. The newer shape are much better looking, are subtly smaller in size BUT have sliding doors on both sides which is far more convenient.

Both new and old come in a 2.4 petrol which is NOT good on fuel 25MPG tops but the MK1 is rear wheel drive and so don't suffer from expensive CV joint issues (NOTE however that some MK1's, like mine, have independent rear suspension which does have CV joints but they pretty much last forever as the only move in one plane of direction.)

Now the Mk2 (2001 - 2007) comes in a diesel form called the D4D and in my opinion this is the one to go for. It is good on gas 40mpg+, is good looking, has dual sliding doors and road tax for 2010 is only £245 per year vs £410 for the petrol version. Early petrol versions of the MK2 have an expensive issue with the catalytic converters/ignition coils/lambda sensors. Diesels are known for turbo issues but these are typically down to the actuator getting stuck open.

Coming back to the MK1's there are a lot of diesel imports around known as the Estima Lucida's and Emina's. They look pretty much like a Previa from the outside but have a 2.2 diesel engine. They are well known for cracking cylinder heads and are not so great on consumption either. So if you don't want to have the same experience you have just had with your Hiace you'd be better off giving them a wide berth.

• 8 years later...

re Mk2 lambda....The engine Management System used to display a fault for the lambda sensor but when you do the emissions test it always passes (my experience anyway). Seems the problem is not with the sensor but the software. BUT Toyota won't tell you that and will happily rip you off the £1500 that many owners paid apparently,