Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Aircon Be Bypassed/isolated ?

konrose

I hava a 2.0 D4D model, 04(53 plate) 83000 miles.

Does anyone know, if the air con can be bypassed ?

My aircon compressor is "rattling" on idle, but if I turn on the aircon the "rattling" stops.

My mechanic tells me that its something to do with the pulley/ flanges on the aircon unit and the clutch mechanism then cuts out the rattling when it has "engaged".

I have tried locally and found that this is a sealed unit and the pulley/flange that I require cannot be bought seperately.

Toyota Dealer are quoting £800 + VAT for it, then theres the re-charging of the system and the mechanics time for fitting it.

Secondhand prices are averaging £300 + recharging etc.

I dont really fancy paying this amount of money for something that I rarely use

What I am trying to find out is ; Can the belt be replaced with a belt for a non-aircon engine ?

Will the pulley of the aircon unit have to be removed?

and is it as straightforward as it sounds ?

Does anyone have any diagrams showing the differences in the belt layout ?

Thanks in advance

I removed the entire aircon system from my Celica GT4 compressor fans radiator cabin heat exchanger and all pipework and just ran a shorter accesory drivebelt so I would say its possible to do the same on an avensis.

I removed the entire aircon system from my Celica GT4 compressor fans radiator cabin heat exchanger and all pipework and just ran a shorter accesory drivebelt so I would say its possible to do the same on an avensis.

Thanks for that - did it affect the cars engine management system at all ?

did not effect engine at all

you may need to leave certain sensors attached to the loom though one on the celica if removed meant the radiator fan ran constantly so be aware also the Gas needs to be removed proffesionally as it is under quite high pressure

Just a note regarding above FORUM USERS POSTING. The Air-Con gas is absolutely deadly, make sure system is discharged via air-con machine.

thanks.

I dont intend doing it myself - just checking if it can be done before giving my mechanic the headache !!!!