Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D4d T3x Rattle

psijones

Hi Everyone,

I have a diesel T3X upon which over the last 4 years I have put about 100k miles (London - Sussex commute). I have religiously serviced it every 10k, replaced cam belts etc, but recently though, it has started making a pretty loud rattle when idling, or when the revs drop sufficiently. A tiny increase in revs is all it takes to stop it, and performance of the car is unaffected otherwise (or appears to be) - I can still get 60mpg over the life of a tank of fuel.

My regular mechanic is a little stumped, although he believes the noise does appear to be coming from either the air con pump or powered steering pump.

Having read loads of the threads on this forum though, I am beginning to wonder if it isn't the dreaded and somewhat costly injectors... I was just hoping someone could help - just in case it has all the marks of something else.

In summary - the noise is a rhythmic rattle that gets more constant as the engine warms up. It subsides as soon as the revs have increased a bit and the noise, whilst very loud, appears to be coming from the drivers side near the front.

It is also worth mentioning that the air con hasn't worked for a long time - the pipes appear undamaged - so could it be the air con pump as cause of both?

Any help/advice appreciated

Cheers

Si

Hi Everyone,

I have a diesel T3X upon which over the last 4 years I have put about 100k miles (London - Sussex commute). I have religiously serviced it every 10k, replaced cam belts etc, but recently though, it has started making a pretty loud rattle when idling, or when the revs drop sufficiently. A tiny increase in revs is all it takes to stop it, and performance of the car is unaffected otherwise (or appears to be) - I can still get 60mpg over the life of a tank of fuel.

My regular mechanic is a little stumped, although he believes the noise does appear to be coming from either the air con pump or powered steering pump.

Having read loads of the threads on this forum though, I am beginning to wonder if it isn't the dreaded and somewhat costly injectors... I was just hoping someone could help - just in case it has all the marks of something else.

In summary - the noise is a rhythmic rattle that gets more constant as the engine warms up. It subsides as soon as the revs have increased a bit and the noise, whilst very loud, appears to be coming from the drivers side near the front.

It is also worth mentioning that the air con hasn't worked for a long time - the pipes appear undamaged - so could it be the air con pump as cause of both?

Cheers

Si

hi psijones

do not be in panic

1. what maintenance has been done each 10k?? (just list);

2. as I understood when reved the engine stops' does not it?

3. you state noise comes from an A/C (but the engine is idle ????)

4. we're not talking about yr milage now, but about stoppage + rattling;

------

now my questions are:

1. How is it started??? Within 1/4 rev? 1/2 rev? 1 rev? What are your observations?

2. list all maintenance works during last service;

3. do you keep your log boog up-dated? and can be refered to an old works have done?

4. how does it work once an A/C is engaged?

5. is yr engine equipped with T/C ?

thanks + revert

cheers/Igor

Hi Everyone,

Cheers

Si

hi psijones

do not be in panic

1. what maintenance has been done each 10k?? (just list);

2. as I understood when reved the engine stops' does not it?

3. you state noise comes from an A/C (but the engine is idle ????)

4. we're not talking about yr milage now, but about stoppage + rattling;

------

now my questions are:

1. How is it started??? Within 1/4 rev? 1/2 rev? 1 rev? What are your observations?

2. list all maintenance works during last service;

3. do you keep your log boog up-dated? and can be refered to an old works have done?

4. how does it work once an A/C is engaged?

5. is yr engine equipped with T/C ?

thanks + revert

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

I'm not sure when it started - a few months ago anyway (I know, I know, I should have tried to sort this sooner) but it just came from nowhere and has got slowly louder and more angry over time.

My services are pretty much standard oil, filters, lights etc - plus he always gives it the once over checking brakes etc - I will get a full list off him tomorrow.

My log book shows each service - but since I stopped using the main dealer (when it went out of warranty) I have used a somewhat cheaper mechanic - barring the replacement of my headlamps, which were covered by the extended warranty and recall (although I didn't discover this until I'd had one done at my own expense). Said cheaper mechanic is not as thorough with paperwork and just tells me what he has done. I must stress that I trust him explicitly - apart from the fact he is a mate, he has saved me a fortune on sorting out a replacement bearing and a cam belt.

Engaging the A/C makes no difference whatsoever. I did get someone to charge it up a while ago, and it did work, but only briefly and within a day it was useless again. Switching on the A/C makes no difference to the noise - neither does it change when you turn the wheel and make the steering pump work a bit.

As for T/C - I assume that is traction control - and if so, I have no idea. If it needs manual engagement, then no - if it engages automatically, then I don't know. Sorry - how do I find out? (I'm aware that this is probably amazing to you, but although I love my car, it is a bit of a mystery to me most of the time... indeed, I think my wife knows more about cars than I do!)

Anyway - I don't know if this provides you with the info you need?

Let me know what else you need to know

Thanks for all your help

Si

Hi Igor,

I'm not sure when it started - a few months ago anyway (I know, I know, I should have tried to sort this sooner) but it just came from nowhere and has got slowly louder and more angry over time.

My services are pretty much standard oil, filters, lights etc - plus he always gives it the once over checking brakes etc - I will get a full list off him tomorrow.

My log book shows each service - but since I stopped using the main dealer (when it went out of warranty) I have used a somewhat cheaper mechanic - barring the replacement of my headlamps, which were covered by the extended warranty and recall (although I didn't discover this until I'd had one done at my own expense). Said cheaper mechanic is not as thorough with paperwork and just tells me what he has done. I must stress that I trust him explicitly - apart from the fact he is a mate, he has saved me a fortune on sorting out a replacement bearing and a cam belt.

Engaging the A/C makes no difference whatsoever. I did get someone to charge it up a while ago, and it did work, but only briefly and within a day it was useless again. Switching on the A/C makes no difference to the noise - neither does it change when you turn the wheel and make the steering pump work a bit.

As for T/C - I assume that is traction control - and if so, I have no idea. If it needs manual engagement, then no - if it engages automatically, then I don't know. Sorry - how do I find out? (I'm aware that this is probably amazing to you, but although I love my car, it is a bit of a mystery to me most of the time... indeed, I think my wife knows more about cars than I do!)

Thanks for all your help

Si

==========

hi again

how yr engine is started? smoothly? or not?

do the revs play or not when started?

re A/C -- all is clear;

re T/C -- means turbocharger

please revert with full maintenance works list given off from yr mechanic.

please revert shortly

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

Thanks for all your help

Si

==========

hi again

re A/C -- all is clear;

please revert shortly

cheers/Igor

================

Hi Igor,

Engine starts first time, every time - no problem at all

No noise when started - it generally builds up as the engine gets warm - a couple of minutes

AC doesn't work - not sure if there's a crack in the pipe or the pump not working - having that checked later this week

No - no turbocharger

Will get the full maintenance history to you tomorrow.

Cheers

Si

Hi Igor,

Thanks for all your help

Si

==========

hi again

re A/C -- all is clear;

please revert shortly

cheers/Igor

================

Hi Igor,

No noise when started - it generally builds up as the engine gets warm - a couple of minutes

AC doesn't work - not sure if there's a crack in the pipe or the pump not working - having that checked later this week

No - no turbocharger

Cheers

Si

hi

we exclude the A/C from the problems chain then :)))

cheers

Igor

Hi Igor,

Thanks for all your help

Si

==========

hi again

re A/C -- all is clear;

please revert shortly

cheers/Igor

================

Hi Igor,

No - no turbocharger

Cheers

Si

hi

cheers

Igor

Hi Igor,

Spoke to my mechanic - he says that he follows the handbook, so each service (at 10,000 mile intervals) has;

All brakes checked

Oil, Air, Pollen and fuel filters changed

Gear box checked and level

Lubricates all linkages

Check screen wash, wipers etc

Lights

Tyres and wheels checked, pressures done

Complete oil change (because of the mileage I do - 25,000+ per year)

Over the last couple of years I've had a new cam belt, new bearing on front right wheel, discs and pads, plus plenty of tyres.

That's it - the car is due another service about now (it's coming up to 120,000 miles).

Is that what you were after?

Simon

Hi Igor,

Thanks for all your help

Si

==========

hi again

re A/C -- all is clear;

please revert shortly

cheers/Igor

================

Hi Igor,

No - no turbocharger

Cheers

Si

hi

cheers

Igor

Hi Igor,

Spoke to my mechanic - he says that he follows the handbook, so each service (at 10,000 mile intervals) has;

All brakes checked

Lubricates all linkages

Lights

Over the last couple of years I've had a new cam belt, new bearing on front right wheel, discs and pads, plus plenty of tyres.

That's it - the car is due another service about now (it's coming up to 120,000 miles).

Simon

hi Simon

Friendly speaking I am seeing the following possible reasons of your head ache:

- Injection timing problem due to new timing belt installing (?);

This conclusion is grounded on your suggestions re yr mechanic --> I am in fact not sure he has adjusted injection beginning on time prior to TBC.

- Fine fuel filter clogging;

- Four injection nozzles;

--------------

All ordinary works are as per usual maintenance schedule.

I have not caught that the fuel injection system has been services duriing those lifetime.

Even the engine can be started ---> it is because the HP fuel injection pump sucts diesel thru fine filter when engine is stopped (thanks to vacuum). but after due to filter clogging the HP injection pump can not get sufficient fuel to inject -- this is common issue due to "extensive maintenance".

Besides -- poor injection adds an oil drop into the head ache fire and the engine got rattled + lose of power + smoke exhaust + waste money for tank refilling + etc

For sure the best way is to change yr "good mechanic" and ask for service in reliable garage.

Cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

Thanks for all your help

Si

==========

hi again

re A/C -- all is clear;

please revert shortly

cheers/Igor

================

Hi Igor,

No - no turbocharger

Cheers

Si

hi

we exclude the A/C from the problems chain then :) ))

cheers

Igor

Hi Igor,

All brakes checked

Lubricates all linkages

Lights

Simon

hi Simon

Friendly speaking I am seeing the following possible reasons of your head ache:

- Injection timing problem due to new timing belt installing (?);

This conclusion is grounded on your suggestions re yr mechanic --> I am in fact not sure he has adjusted injection beginning on time prior to TBC.

- Fine fuel filter clogging;

- Four injection nozzles;

--------------

All ordinary works are as per usual maintenance schedule.

I have not caught that the fuel injection system has been services duriing those lifetime.

Even the engine can be started ---> it is because the HP fuel injection pump sucts diesel thru fine filter when engine is stopped (thanks to vacuum). but after due to filter clogging the HP injection pump can not get sufficient fuel to inject -- this is common issue due to "extensive maintenance".

Besides -- poor injection adds an oil drop into the head ache fire and the engine got rattled + lose of power + smoke exhaust + waste money for tank refilling + etc

For sure the best way is to change yr "good mechanic" and ask for service in reliable garage.

Cheers/Igor

Thanks Igor - I will take your advice and get a second opinion. It's a shame you aren't local to the south coast of the UK - the Ukraine might be a bit of a push to get you to come and look at it!!

Thanks for all your help and advice. When (if) I manage to get it sorted, I will let you know the precise diagnosis.

All the best

Si

Thanks Igor - I will take your advice and get a second opinion. It's a shame you aren't local to the south coast of the UK - the Ukraine might be a bit of a push to get you to come and look at it!!

Thanks for all your help and advice. When (if) I manage to get it sorted, I will let you know the precise diagnosis.

All the best

Si

======

hi again :))

do not give up

it had to be happened - it's normal due to lack of normal maintenance.

the engine told you -- SIMON -- i am tired :)

I am about to be focused on all four injectcors changing -- it's 98% of the reply.

I do not think that the diesel is sold with bad quality in the UK.

the most probably the injectors are.

i wonna see your smile when the problem will be rectified.

CHeers

Igor

Hi Everyone,

Cheers

Si

hi

my brother has same car,same problem as you have,good news its your aircon,went to local toyota dealer,they disconnet the pulleys and fitted a new fan belt type thing to the engine,not quiet sure but result rattle gone but no aircon,talk to your dealer how to do this,forget all that bull about injectors,timing,servicing,what you had for breakfast.....

hope this helps

Hi Everyone,

Cheers

Si

hi

my brother has same car,same problem as you have,good news its your aircon,went to local toyota dealer,they disconnet the pulleys and fitted a new fan belt type thing to the engine,not quiet sure but result rattle gone but no aircon,talk to your dealer how to do this,forget all that bull about injectors,timing,servicing,what you had for breakfast.....

hope this helps

Thanks for that - I really hope you are right - will get it checked straight away as it presents a somewhat cheaper option, and it does sound like it is coming from that set up although it is hard to tell.

It does help, cheers