Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Overdrive Light Flashing

takriti

I have a 1999 estima with 30k on the clock, recently after 5 min of driving the engine management light comes on with blinking OD light. Car still drives ok. Anyone there can explain that went wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 1999 estima with 30k on the clock, recently after 5 min of driving the engine management light comes on with blinking OD light. Car still drives ok. Anyone there can explain that went wrong.

i have the same problem with my 1998, 30k as well. after the light comes on the transmission slip when it is not in over drive. taking it for test tomorow.

did you find out what was wrong?

i have the same problem with my 1998, 30k as well. after the light comes on the transmission slip when it is not in over drive. taking it for test tomorow.

did you find out what was wrong?

I have a 1993 4wd Esti, which has the same problem, and has had for the last 4 years but with no gearbox problems. There, i believe, could be 2 problems, the first could be the sensor on the gearbox the second and more likely is a frayed/broken wire from the gear lever, usually at the bottom of the gear lever where the wires emerge before going into the loom

test came back with code 42, - defective no.1 speed sensor ( in combination meter ) - a severed wire harness or short circuit.

garage reckons it must be from the conversion to miles, suggest having it redone. will contact dealer and post back.

good to know that yours has worked fine DenB.

and it still drives fine when not in overdrive?

the garage said that ours is going into " Fail safe " mode? which is why it feels like it is slipping when just going steady at anything above 40mph. it will shift when you put your foot down. but no problem when in overdrive, just the warning lights.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
test came back with code 42, - defective no.1 speed sensor ( in combination meter ) - a severed wire harness or short circuit.

garage reckons it must be from the conversion to miles, suggest having it redone. will contact dealer and post back.

good to know that yours has worked fine DenB.

and it still drives fine when not in overdrive?

the garage said that ours is going into " Fail safe " mode? which is why it feels like it is slipping when just going steady at anything above 40mph. it will shift when you put your foot down. but no problem when in overdrive, just the warning lights.

cheers

you could try a full autobox flush with new oil, this may solve the gearbox issues but not the light.

Just back from the dealer, with the estima sorted. it was a wiring problem. they took the chip out and wired it back to km/h, and it worked fine, no light or " fail safe " mode. So after speaking at length with the company that they get their chips from, they tried a different way of wiring and that did it. :) quite happy.

• 5 years later...

Hi folks,

Have the same problem like yours. Thanks for this forum and to all of you. I will apply to my Lucida what you did to yours. Hoping to fix this sooner.

Many thanks!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links