Do Not Sell My Personal Information

04' Avensis Lost Power - Increased Noise From Engine

del_76

Hi Folks,

I'm new to posting on this forum so if I've duplicated earlier entries a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

3 months ago I bought a 2004 T2 Avensis D4D via a private sale currently with 90,000 miles on it and due a service now.

Yesterday evening when returning from home while climbing a hill the car lost power and at the same time an increase in engine noise (similar to a hole in exhaust sort of noise).

I was able to drive the remaining 10 miles home but car felt like the turbo was gone (on the flat was able to get into 5th and revs climbed gently) - there were no engine management lights coming on to indicate an issue. The car is turning over fine also but going up any hills I had to drop into 2nd as in 3rd would've cut out due to low revs. Coming up a gentle slope towards the house grey smoke was coming out.

Once home I listened to the engine and turbo under a few thousand revs - nothing to be heard from the turbo but that rough sound persisted coming from underneath the turbo itself - almost sounded again like the exhaust.

Has anyone had similar issues? - I'm hoping it's pneumatics to the turbo rather than the turbo itself!

Thanks in advance,

Del.

Hi Folks,

I'm new to posting on this forum so if I've duplicated earlier entries a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

3 months ago I bought a 2004 T2 Avensis D4D via a private sale currently with 90,000 miles on it and due a service now.

Yesterday evening when returning from home while climbing a hill the car lost power and at the same time an increase in engine noise (similar to a hole in exhaust sort of noise).

I was able to drive the remaining 10 miles home but car felt like the turbo was gone (on the flat was able to get into 5th and revs climbed gently) - there were no engine management lights coming on to indicate an issue. The car is turning over fine also but going up any hills I had to drop into 2nd as in 3rd would've cut out due to low revs. Coming up a gentle slope towards the house grey smoke was coming out.

Once home I listened to the engine and turbo under a few thousand revs - nothing to be heard from the turbo but that rough sound persisted coming from underneath the turbo itself - almost sounded again like the exhaust.

Has anyone had similar issues? - I'm hoping it's pneumatics to the turbo rather than the turbo itself!

Thanks in advance,

Del.

hello DEL

any previous services logs available?

- how the engine is started? smoothly or not?

- what is condition of an engine air filter?

- unscrew and blow thru the vacuum tube connected to the T/C.

-------

check the above first before next steps.

cheers/Igor

Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance,

Del.

Del

As an additional: in case an air filter is blocked then the T/C suction line has got a surging, in other words it is the air flow burble -- resulting a sharp power drop. it is understood sometimes a noise is heard from T/C.

cheers/Igor

Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance,

Del.

Hi, I had a similar problem with my last car, Mondeo 2,0 Tdci. When I took it for repair it was found that the delivery air hose to the turbo had split. A new hose and it worked perfect. Possible you have the same problem?

Hi Del,

I had a similar problem on a Mondeo Tdci, it turned out that the delivery hose after the turbo was split. After a new pipe was fitted it was ok.

• 2 months later...

I would like to know the solution. I also have a 53 plate T3X D4D. Only done 50,000 miles but have had had the problem for the last 10,000

My problem has been similar in that the engine goes into "safety mode" when accelerating above 2,500 revs and I have to turn off, wait 5 secs and turn on again. The engine management system light comes on. Usually happens when the engine is cold. Initially when accelerating hard, e.g. up a hill, but now happens any time/any temperature, but intermittendly. I also get a drone in the exhaust.

Two dealers said it was a fault with the wastegate. I had the Turbo reconditioned but still have the problem. I have also used Injector cleaner.

I will get my mechanic to look at the suggestions above, but any other thoughts for hie to look at?

Have duplicated this entry on: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/lof...php/t85695.html

I would like to know the solution. I also have a 53 plate T3X D4D. Only done 50,000 miles but have had had the problem for the last 10,000

My problem has been similar in that the engine goes into "safety mode" when accelerating above 2,500 revs and I have to turn off, wait 5 secs and turn on again. The engine management system light comes on. Usually happens when the engine is cold. Initially when accelerating hard, e.g. up a hill, but now happens any time/any temperature, but intermittendly. I also get a drone in the exhaust.

Two dealers said it was a fault with the wastegate. I had the Turbo reconditioned but still have the problem. I have also used Injector cleaner.

I will get my mechanic to look at the suggestions above, but any other thoughts for hie to look at?

Have duplicated this entry on: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/lof...php/t85695.html

When you had the turbo reconned, did they actually do anything with the wastegate? maybe they only reconned the turbo itself and simply refitted the wastegate cylinder etc.

what code does it throw up ?

what code does it throw up ?

I don't have a note of the code but it was non-specific - they based their diagnosis on the symptoms.

Describe the noise ?

Similar to an exhaust blowing.

Should also add that fuel consumption has increased

hello

check - may be the gasket before turbocharger is burnt out resulting exhaust sound?

it's understood the turbocharger can not reach its RMP according to engiine load?

it is understood the fuel consumption will be increased.

cheers/Igor

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Igor

Nothing found. Dealer now suggesting Suction Control valve on the Fuel Pump. Am taking it in for inspection next week

Thanks Igor

Nothing found. Dealer now suggesting Suction Control valve on the Fuel Pump. Am taking it in for inspection next week

hello

the problem is this SCV either works or not due to winds burnt out.

in case the engine is started well - this means this SCV works otherwise the engine could not be started at all.

cheers/Igor

Thanks Igor

hello

in case the engine is started well - this means this SCV works otherwise the engine could not be started at all.

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor

We are back to the turbo being the problem. It is a Variavle Vane Turbo and they claim that it is being restricted from proper operation by a build up of Carbon. But as the turbo has been reconditioned I would have expected this all to have been cleaned up. I see that this appears to be a common problem with this type of turbo, on all makes of car. I have seen a cleaner advertised that you soak the turbo in and thought it may be worth a go.

Will advise the outcome when I have had it done.

Thanks Igor

hello

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor

We are back to the turbo being the problem. It is a Variavle Vane Turbo and they claim that it is being restricted from proper operation by a build up of Carbon. But as the turbo has been reconditioned I would have expected this all to have been cleaned up. I see that this appears to be a common problem with this type of turbo, on all makes of car. I have seen a cleaner advertised that you soak the turbo in and thought it may be worth a go.

Will advise the outcome when I have had it done.

hello again

the problem is not in turbo (the turbo is the result) but in injectors that pour diesel instead of good injection resulting cargon residues.

it is understood the turbo must be regulary maintenanced to prevent carbon collection. but the problem is above.

good luck

Igor

• 2 months later...

Problem seems to be sorted (been a week without a re-occurence - so fingers crossed!)

Wastgate has been repaired (needed a new part). I now know that the wastegate is seperate to the turbo. I'll be going back to the dealer who advised me the car did not have a wastegate for an explanation and hopefully a refund of the money paid to my mechanic for the unnecessary refurb of the turbo itself.