Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T-sport Coolant Leaking Problem

vip

Hi there,

I have a 2001 T Sport Celica - I have noticed that I am having to top up the coolant pretty much every week . Sometimes it last for 2 weeks or so ...

I have had the radiator pressurised to check for any leaks - one garage replaced some rubber seal. Yet I am still facing the same old problem with the leak.

I can't see anything too obvious - one of the garages suggested that there is a common water pump problem with the 7 gen celicas and can leak over night in drips and drabs ... which is pretty much what I am getting ..

Has anyone gone through anything similar ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Vip

• 3 months later...

I am having the same problem, 2001 celica 190, topping it up regularly and had the radiator tested (no leaks), but still losing coolant. Garage replaced clips on two heater pipes which were loose.

As of yesterday its a matter of minutes before it empties the coolant bottle, with no sign of an obvious leak. Am getting it booked back into have it looked at, but off the road at the minute.

Is there anybody that can help please?

Thanks.

Perhaps head over to celica-club.co.uk? May be a number of answers over there.

I too have heard of water pump issues on them.

I'd suggest having the whole system pressure tested. :)

i had this problem with my tsport corolla when i had it, little drips here and there resulting in the loss of fluid, in the end i had the water pump and the heater pipe clips replaced and that sorted it

• 1 month later...

Hey!!!

I'm having the same problem with my Celica 190. The car started getting hot and no hot air coming through the heaters. I replaced the thermostat and it solved the problem for a few months but now its doing the same.

Have just been out having a look at it and making sure there are no air locks in it. I wreckon I have a water pump problem (even though there are no visible leaks) as the heater pipes arn't getting hot and it takes a while for the pipe off the thermostat to warm up even with engine hot.

Having just read that there are pump problems on these cars, thats where im going next.

Hope this helps

Hey!!!

I'm having the same problem with my Celica 190. The car started getting hot and no hot air coming through the heaters. I replaced the thermostat and it solved the problem for a few months but now its doing the same.

Have just been out having a look at it and making sure there are no air locks in it. I wreckon I have a water pump problem (even though there are no visible leaks) as the heater pipes arn't getting hot and it takes a while for the pipe off the thermostat to warm up even with engine hot.

Having just read that there are pump problems on these cars, thats where im going next.

Hope this helps

If you take the drive belt off you can spin the waterpump by hand. It should spin freely with no noise. If you push and pull on the pulley you should not feel any free play. If you feel free play it needs replacing and is probably leaking.

Waterpumps are pretty common. If you turn your wheels on full left hand lock and look into the rear of the engine bay through wheel arch, you can sometimes see a trace of pink. We've pressurized the system before and found no leaks from pump even though there is a trace of coolant leak visual to the eye around pump. Remember to always check coolant when cold and on a level surface. If its leaking, keep an eye on the level until you get it repaired.

Mines doing this very slightly too, I've tried what you suggested. Where are you looking exactly, below the pulleys or on the rear of the block? Slight oil down the side which might disguise it, but completely dry down the back of the block

-----------------

Waterpumps are pretty common. If you turn your wheels on full left hand lock and look into the rear of the engine bay through wheel arch, you can sometimes see a trace of pink. We've pressurized the system before and found no leaks from pump even though there is a trace of coolant leak visual to the eye around pump. Remember to always check coolant when cold and on a level surface. If its leaking, keep an eye on the level until you get it repaired.