Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Sr180 Diesel Tuning Chip

speedbird350

Hi,

I've had my Auris SR180 for just under a year now and I am tempted to get the car chipped.

There are SO many chips on the market these days that it's left me a little confused! I guess another important question is whether getting my car chipped in the very first place is ok to do???

The chip I am keen on is at the following URL:

http://dieseltuning.co.uk/ (you can search for Auris 2.2 sr180)

This company seems to offer the most impressive gains, with a lot of technological info about the chip that does leave you quite impressed! (but thats the idea right!).

So in conclusion:

Are these chips safe to get installed? (of course the manufactuer's will say they are, but are they REALLY?)

Anyone here had their SR180 chipped? If so, have you noticed better mpg, a smoother drive, more power? Which company did you select?

When it comes to getting the car serviced, would Toyota kick up a fuss in anyway?

Your thoughts/answers are most appreciated!

Cheers

Jason

Hi,

I've had my Auris SR180 for just under a year now and I am tempted to get the car chipped.

There are SO many chips on the market these days that it's left me a little confused! I guess another important question is whether getting my car chipped in the very first place is ok to do???

The chip I am keen on is at the following URL:

http://dieseltuning.co.uk/ (you can search for Auris 2.2 sr180)

This company seems to offer the most impressive gains, with a lot of technological info about the chip that does leave you quite impressed! (but thats the idea right!).

So in conclusion:

Are these chips safe to get installed? (of course the manufactuer's will say they are, but are they REALLY?)

Anyone here had their SR180 chipped? If so, have you noticed better mpg, a smoother drive, more power? Which company did you select?

When it comes to getting the car serviced, would Toyota kick up a fuss in anyway?

Your thoughts/answers are most appreciated!

Cheers

Jason

Our resident moaning mini (he's really dissapointed with his underpowered engine and underperforming MPG) has had his avensis t180 chipped with a venom kit and he's reported a 6mpg increase. Think the avensis was quoted at 44mpg combined, he got about 40-41 but now gets 47 odd mpg and over 50 on a run. So yes mpg improvements there. Also repoted a nice power increase, likened to a BMW 330i which is an impressive engine indeed.

There are quite a few chips out there

venom

p-tronic

tunit

tunit liked by a lot but not sure if any owenrs here have it on their t180. P-tronic a good chip but more expensive and needs to solder a sensor on the throttle.

Problems, yes, if you drive pedal to metal its going to cause increase stress on the injection system, fuel pump, gearbox, clutch/flywheel. All of which are expensive parts to replace. A chip will void a 3 year warrenty but providing the chip is removed most garages are fine with chipping some even advise to remove the chip for service. I'm not qualified to say but i would guess that all the parts mentioned above that could fail are stilling within operating tolerances with a chip installed. The only thing that could happen is these parts wear quicker if used hard with a chip but they shouldn't be over stressed or fail because of a chip.

T180 chipping - this engine has been harder to chip. The t180 engine is a higher pressure fuel injection across the rail and therefore overfueling safetly is / was harder to achieve and because from what i believe, the t180 engine protects itself from anything that isn't in the standard tolerances.

Some tuners have found the engine hard to chip. That makes me weary. I would definatly only chip based on a review of someone that has run a chip without fail on their t180 for a good year. The fact that a dealer that posts on here has not yet released a t180 chip despite trialing it earlier this year makes me weary. They stopped testing the chip because it caused some problems. Thats not the say other manfacturers have the same problems.

Personally i'm just going to wait a bit and see how people get on. I don't fancy paying out 2 or 3k for a new set of injectors or fuel pump.

Don't chip it, just make the re-programming. There will be no chip at all, only the new software which your Toyota dealer won't even be able to recognize during the service...

Here in Finland we have a lot of companies who can make this kind of re-programming. So after a fast search using Google you should find something useful I think!

• 1 month later...

i wouldnt make any kind of modification to the engine management console at all. Speaking to my friend who works in toyota servicing in liverpool he says the 2.2 DCAT engine should not be modified because the stresses imposed on an engine that already runs on a high compression cycle will cause "monumental and expensive failures" just appreciate that the engine already is a very good peice of kit.

just appreciate that the engine already is a very good peice of kit.
That was my feelings too. You don't see any 2.2d engines beyond 180bhp.

I have the 2.0 D-4D and when I tried to chip that the engine warning light came on and a high idle revs. The advantage of 2.0 engine is the horse power is only 126bhp (lowest in class) so I thought I could safely chip it however...

Having driven my brother's lighter 140bhp Golf GT in both normal and sports mode I can safely say the Toyota appears to be allot faster work the gears between 2100 – 3200 revs.

Apart from the new Mazda 3 (and 6) that delivers 183hp, and the TMS Auris sport study with 200hp (not production though).

The BMW 123d 2.0 version with its biturbos produce as much as 201hp, so even more impressive.

Gradually, the numbers creep up, whether Toyota will ever squeeze more out of their 2.2 is debateable as they have not really committed to a diesel hot hatch.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-R...gna-motor-show/

I have the 2.0 D-4D and when I tried to chip that the engine warning light came on and a high idle revs. The advantage of 2.0 engine is the horse power is only 126bhp (lowest in class) so I thought I could safely chip it however...

Having driven my brother's lighter 140bhp Golf GT in both normal and sports mode I can safely say the Toyota appears to be allot faster work the gears between 2100 – 3200 revs.

What did you do with the chiptuning - what values did you have before the warnings? I know people in here who raised their power on the 2.0 D-4D engine up to 162 BHP and 402Nm...

Link - http://forum.4tuning.ro/showthread.php?t=54739

I don't know if they kept the same values for everyday driving or if it was just the peak value... Anyway, with the Unichip programmable computer, you can alter lots of parameters. I will go with them once I will get to performance tuning - stage 1 - but will choose some middle values - such as a max. of 150BHP and max. 360 Nm of torque... My car (Auris with 1AD-FTV engine) still runs of stock components - fuel injectors, clutch, turbo etc. - and each of them is expensive to replace too prematurely :).

About Golf 5, my girlfriend drives a TDI 2.0 140 BHP and 320 Nm... I can feel the difference - her car revs quicker but its also smokin' a lot, and it has about 55,000 km on board.

The engine in the T180 was tunned down due to the power factor, when it was in trial it was making nuts and bolts loosen, its a pity, i want to moddify mine but not sure what to do, had a bit of a step down, did have a focus st, and they are quite easy to moddify

• 1 month later...

Hi

Have a look HERE the one I fitted to my 2.2 D4D is excellent and only £100. The car is much quicker, more economical and smoother too.... and you can remove it in 2 mins flat.....

Pete

Hi

Have a look HERE the one I fitted to my 2.2 D4D is excellent and only £100. The car is much quicker, more economical and smoother too.... and you can remove it in 2 mins flat.....

Pete

Took a chance and bought one, opened it to make sure it was the same as yours, and not just a 50p resistor in a box, fitted it and there is a real noticable difference, the engine is smoother and pulls a lot stronger from lower in the rev range, and holds torque for longer.

Forget first and seond gears, but third onwards the car really pulls the way it should have from the production line, fuel consumption has improved a bit, but might get better when I start driving it sensibly.

He will take offers on the buy it now, and I paid £90, but might be worth a punt at a bit lower, with five day recorded delivery to your door.

Having looked at those on Google, this is the same as the dearer ones, and it even comes with the blanking testing plug to make sure you have wired it correctly, although a five year old kid could wire it in without any mistakes, two plugs and a live and negative to the Battery, its that easy. The one for the SR180 is the six wire plugged one.

Just now trying to get the wiring diagram to see which jumpers can be altered to modify the programme,

Now need to now get it on rollers.

Hi

Pete

Took a chance and bought one, opened it to make sure it was the same as yours, and not just a 50p resistor in a box, fitted it and there is a real noticable difference, the engine is smoother and pulls a lot stronger from lower in the rev range, and holds torque for longer.

Forget first and seond gears, but third onwards the car really pulls the way it should have from the production line, fuel consumption has improved a bit, but might get better when I start driving it sensibly.

He will take offers on the buy it now, and I paid £90, but might be worth a punt at a bit lower, with five day recorded delivery to your door.

Having looked at those on Google, this is the same as the dearer ones, and it even comes with the blanking testing plug to make sure you have wired it correctly, although a five year old kid could wire it in without any mistakes, two plugs and a live and negative to the Battery, its that easy. The one for the SR180 is the six wire plugged one.

Just now trying to get the wiring diagram to see which jumpers can be altered to modify the programme,

If it had 6 wires, does that mean it plugs into each injector? It must adjust injector timing then, which if its done right is defiantly the right way to go about it.

Better than over fueling imo by increased pressure on common rail or whatever it is.

Hi

Pete

If it had 6 wires, does that mean it plugs into each injector? It must adjust injector timing then, which if its done right is defiantly the right way to go about it.

Better than over fueling imo by increased pressure on common rail or whatever it is.

Not too sure how it does it, but unlike the Steinbauer ones that take a separate lead to each injector, this replaces the plug with the six wires with its own, the one you unplugged then plugs into the supplied loom,.

Been out trying it today, and how ever hard I try, it will not drop into limp mode as some have done, and it does not smoke, so I assume the fuelling is running correctly, but boy does it now pull through the gears, as a Civic Type R found out, and if only you could lose some of the weight in the car it would be a contender, lets all agree it will never be a traffic light racer as the first two gears are a waste of time, but when third and fourth come into play with this box, its something else.

Having seen the 50p resistor jobs that just over fuel the engine before, I can assure you this is not one of those, get one and open it up for yourself.

Early days I know, but at the moment its ticking all the boxes and a lot more.

Just need to replace the air filter, and was looking for something along the lines of ITG or Pipercross, but at the moment nobody seems to do them.

I like the idea of rechipping the engine and I doubt it affects the longevity too much but what is the extra you pay for insurance?

I like the idea of rechipping the engine and I doubt it affects the longevity too much but what is the extra you pay for insurance?

It depends on your own individual company, I have had customers declare the chip with a zero fee, others are charged up to £50 extra. Some people never declare it, which obviously I could not condone :!Removed!:

Kingo :thumbsup:

If your not a bad risk with a bad accident record, then most insurers will not load you, and if like some us us, your near your sell buy date, with perfect track record, then they dont worry about you at all, and do not load the premium.

Re the longevity of the car once chipped or mapped, having come from a highly modified VAG car, where nearly everything was altered, mapped, lowered etc, that never let me down in seven years of ownership, I would not worry about it at all, just stick to the service schedule with quality oils etc, and you will not have a problem.

You reckon these are clone / reverse engineered versions of the more expensive ones ?

I don't think it would be hard for an electronics expert to create PCBs and dump the eeproms with the program on.

Anyway, you got me tempted now only done 1500 mls in my SR so far, might wait till 2k then give it a go, kudos for buying it and testing it.

Cheers

Andy

You reckon these are clone / reverse engineered versions of the more expensive ones ?

I don't think it would be hard for an electronics expert to create PCBs and dump the eeproms with the program on.

Anyway, you got me tempted now only done 1500 mls in my SR so far, might wait till 2k then give it a go, kudos for buying it and testing it.

Cheers

Andy

We all know that it is not too hard to copy or fabricate anything in the electronics world, and all the parts are available over the counter, and unless the mapped/tuner locks the programme, it is a straight copy onto what ever clone your using.

Nobody could have been more dubious of these than I was, but having taken it to bits and seen that it is not the usual 50p resistor in a box, I fitted it, and have to admit that it transforms the car, lots, lots smoother delivery of the power, and get it in to 2000rpm third, fourth or fifth and plant it, and it really goes.

Why wait for another 500 miles, make an offer, and unlock what is already there.

Beretta

Sorry hadn't been keeping an eye on this thread, you put on the other one about getting better by the day and I have to say mine does as well, had it for over a month now and it seems to still get quicker, if you boot it the TRC light is never off in the first three gears, I have tried 0-60 times but you just can't get the traction to get a good time, tried it with the traction off and it even spun the wheels in third gear on a dry road!!!! and mine is the 140bhp model.... the 180 must be superb...

I got one for my mates Peugeot 406, there is a duel carrigeway near him where his car would get to 70 before he had to brake for the roundabout, now it gets to 85 on the same bit.... these boxes really work...

If you get info on moving the jumpers please let me know

Pete

Beretta

Sorry hadn't been keeping an eye on this thread, you put on the other one about getting better by the day and I have to say mine does as well, had it for over a month now and it seems to still get quicker, if you boot it the TRC light is never off in the first three gears, I have tried 0-60 times but you just can't get the traction to get a good time, tried it with the traction off and it even spun the wheels in third gear on a dry road!!!! and mine is the 140bhp model.... the 180 must be superb...

I got one for my mates Peugeot 406, there is a duel carrigeway near him where his car would get to 70 before he had to brake for the roundabout, now it gets to 85 on the same bit.... these boxes really work...

If you get info on moving the jumpers please let me know

Pete

PM me your e-mail address and I will share some information with you about your last sentence.

Hi

Pete

I too have bought one of these and am waiting for delivery. Hope this works as well on my 2.0d4d as your 2.2 engines.

Mine only has 3 wires though.

dsc00487xb1.jpg

Hi

Pete

I too have bought one of these and am waiting for delivery. Hope this works as well on my 2.0d4d as your 2.2 engines.

dsc00487xb1.jpg

EDIT:

Just adding that my box of tricks arrived today and I have temporarily fitted it to see if it works OK and to get an idea of where i'm gonna finally put it.

Well all I can say it wow. An instant increase it power and it is definable noticeable. And I only have the 2.0 not the SR180. Hopefully by the weekend I will have some pics of the box and where it will finally go. This gives me a few days to knock up a fixing strap out of metal and get the box painted black to blend in with the engine bay. It is a bright red one at the moment.

Finally I will add that it seems to me to rev and drive more like a petrol car than a diesel one now. Ill explain later.

T180 kit just around the corner........available from Kingo ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi

Pete

dsc00487xb1.jpg

EDIT:

Just adding that my box of tricks arrived today and I have temporarily fitted it to see if it works OK and to get an idea of where i'm gonna finally put it.

Well all I can say it wow. An instant increase it power and it is definable noticeable. And I only have the 2.0 not the SR180. Hopefully by the weekend I will have some pics of the box and where it will finally go. This gives me a few days to knock up a fixing strap out of metal and get the box painted black to blend in with the engine bay. It is a bright red one at the moment.

Finally I will add that it seems to me to rev and drive more like a petrol car than a diesel one now. Ill explain later.

I did tell you they were good.... :)