Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Auto Box.

hissingsid

I've a 2006 1.8 T3x Auto. When changing from drive to manual selection what gear should it change to. ie If I am stopped in Drive and change to manual select what gear should show up? Thanks for any help.

I've a 2006 1.8 T3x Auto. When changing from drive to manual selection what gear should it change to. ie If I am stopped in Drive and change to manual select what gear should show up? Thanks for any help.

Well mine is a 2004 1.8 T3X auto, and its always shown up as 3rd gear, which as far as i am aware is the correct gear....

If you go from Drive to Sequential mode whilst you are driving you will go from 4th to 3rd. See under a copy of a post I did a while back - dont know how to send a link - hope it helps:

I own a 1.8 Auto on a 56 plate.

My understanding through observation whilst driving is as follows:

If you select sequential mode then the display in the instrument panel changes from D to 3. All the 3 denotes is that 3rd gear is the highest gear the auto box will select. So if you are driving and in 4th gear and then select sequential mode the car will change down to 3rd gear.

So now you are in 3rd gear, you can use the kick down facility and the car will surge forward (well perhaps not as its only a 1.8) changing down to 2nd gear. However the display still only shows as 3.

You now come to a stop at lights, still in sequential mode. The display still shows 3. When you pull away its not in 3rd gear but it will go through the sequence 1st, 2nd and then 3rd gear. It will not go higher than 3rd gear, unless you manually select 4th gear or switch to full auto.

If when you are in sequential mode and manually select 2nd then the display will change to show 2. The 2 now denotes that this is the highest gear the auto box will select. If you want a higher gear than 2 then you will have to manually select it or alternatively select full auto mode.

I can’t say how intelligent the box is in respect of a road speed that was too high for a selected gear?

Hope the above helps.

• 2 weeks later...
If you go from Drive to Sequential mode whilst you are driving you will go from 4th to 3rd. See under a copy of a post I did a while back - dont know how to send a link - hope it helps:

I own a 1.8 Auto on a 56 plate.

My understanding through observation whilst driving is as follows:

If you select sequential mode then the display in the instrument panel changes from D to 3. All the 3 denotes is that 3rd gear is the highest gear the auto box will select. So if you are driving and in 4th gear and then select sequential mode the car will change down to 3rd gear.

So now you are in 3rd gear, you can use the kick down facility and the car will surge forward (well perhaps not as its only a 1.8) changing down to 2nd gear. However the display still only shows as 3.

You now come to a stop at lights, still in sequential mode. The display still shows 3. When you pull away its not in 3rd gear but it will go through the sequence 1st, 2nd and then 3rd gear. It will not go higher than 3rd gear, unless you manually select 4th gear or switch to full auto.

If when you are in sequential mode and manually select 2nd then the display will change to show 2. The 2 now denotes that this is the highest gear the auto box will select. If you want a higher gear than 2 then you will have to manually select it or alternatively select full auto mode.

I can’t say how intelligent the box is in respect of a road speed that was too high for a selected gear?

Hope the above helps.

I have a 1.8 Auto 07, if the speed is too fast for the selected gear there'll be a beep and the gear won't change. Found this out trying to engine brake on a steep wet road that went bendy.

regards,

Jezza