Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Much Power Does Your T3x D4d 2.0 Have?

Egibberate

Hi,

I bought my 55 plate Avensis T3X D4D 2.0 with around 2000 miles on the clock. The missus burnt the clutch out in a traffic jam but apart from that it's been OK. This is my first deisel engine car. I have always had doubts about the performance I get from this car. I have had the use of a variety of deisel engine vehicles at work over the year & almost every one of them has more power than my car (even Berlingo vans!) I just put it down to the fact that it's a big heavy car & that's the way it is. At work, about two months ago, I was given the use of a brand new Freelander 2 (2.2 deisel engine) and it has terrific performance. Loads of power & my car doesn't come close to comparing with it. I'm starting to think my car is underpowered for some reason.

How do you rate the performance of your 2.0 deisel Avensis. Very moderate?

Thanks for your input.

yeah, the avensis feels slow to me compared to the Passat i had for a while. Once you learn how to drive it though i think its a pretty good balance of economy & performance. I found if you try and push it hard it just doesn't work, but smooth careful driving works well. theres certainly some torque there!

See other thread on the pros and cons of the tuning kits you can add to free up some more hp...

yeah, the avensis feels slow to me compared to the Passat i had for a while. Once you learn how to drive it though i think its a pretty good balance of economy & performance. I found if you try and push it hard it just doesn't work, but smooth careful driving works well. theres certainly some torque there!

See other thread on the pros and cons of the tuning kits you can add to free up some more hp...

Thanks for the reply. You've put my mind at rest. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy driving the car & I've had it since 2006 & I'm no boy racer but I just wondered whether my individual car was not comparing with what the specification should be. Like you say, I guess they pushed economy in front of performance when they set up the engine management system for this engine. I've wondered recently whether I was getting what the manufacturer intended I should be getting from a car with 20,000 miles on it.

What was your opinion of the passat?

i dont understand ??? how can you burn a clutch out in a traffic jam??????????not being cheeky , just a bit baffled

i dont understand ??? how can you burn a clutch out in a traffic jam??????????not being cheeky , just a bit baffled

Couldn't answer that one precisely but I recall the time my 1st wife (we don't talk about her) came in & asked why there was a red light on the dashboard, having driven round the North Circular in London. I examined the motor vehicle - "It means the Handbrake is on" was my reply.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. You've put my mind at rest. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy driving the car & I've had it since 2006 & I'm no boy racer but I just wondered whether my individual car was not comparing with what the specification should be. Like you say, I guess they pushed economy in front of performance when they set up the engine management system for this engine. I've wondered recently whether I was getting what the manufacturer intended I should be getting from a car with 20,000 miles on it.

What was your opinion of the passat?

I think also that part of the reason the reliability is sooo good in this car, is that everything is tuned down a little. Nothing is being pushed too hard. personally the passat was not for me. it was hard and a little crude, the turbo was set to 'neck-snap'. There were also electrical issues - passenger door not locking, a few other minor bits. The main sway for the avensis is the hatchback - loads of space yet not quite an estate.

have you driven it on the motorway much? at speed you should have some power for sure!

Her passenger (a friend of ours) explained some time after the event that they were sat on an uphill incline in virtually motionless traffic & instead of simply stopping & putting on the parkbrake Her Majesty preffered to simply ride the clutch & ultimately burn it out. I hadn't had the car 5 minutes when she killed it. If the friend had come clean about what caused it on the night it happened, Her Majesty would have been packed off back to her Mothers :ffs:

Footnote; HM is instructed to go straight to her Mothers if she burns it out again.

have you driven it on the motorway much? at speed you should have some power for sure!

I've done maybe 20 long Motorway trips since I bought it & for sure, without doubt it's a far happier machine doing these trips (and a pleasure to do long trips in it!)

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy with it, and like you say, the boot is cavernous. I really just wanted to know how it compared with others & whether I needed to have it looked at. My mind is at rest.

I've done maybe 20 long Motorway trips since I bought it & for sure, without doubt it's a far happier machine doing these trips (and a pleasure to do long trips in it!)

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy with it, and like you say, the boot is cavernous. I really just wanted to know how it compared with others & whether I needed to have it looked at. My mind is at rest.

Hi I had a 2003 T4 model and fitted a power boost chip from Lindop Toyota and it transformed the car also improved the fuel economy by around 10%.

I have now moved it to my 2.2 TR model 150BHP now up to 180 BHP and again improved fuel economy

revband - how much more is your insurance with the mod?

Hi I had a 2003 T4 model and fitted a power boost chip from Lindop Toyota and it transformed the car also improved the fuel economy by around 10%.

I have now moved it to my 2.2 TR model 150BHP now up to 180 BHP and again improved fuel economy

I'm interested in what you are saying, I just don't understand any of it (my fault, not yours)

The 2.0 engine only had 116BHP on tap, compared to most other contemporaries running 130+ When I was choosing mine I compared to the Mondeo, Passat and the Mazda 6. Whilst the other cars were more powerful, the 'vensis was better equipped, more comfy and, when on the motorway, just as fast. All in all I never regretted my choice!