Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loud Rattling From Exhaust 86 Celica Gt

86GT

Hey guys,

Picked up a 86 Celica GT last week, and when driving me and my dad have noticed 2 problems. Firstly, when going over a bump, there is a clunking sound from the rear of the car, we believe the boot. At first we thought it was the spare tire banging on its metal bracket, however after removing the tire and bracket the noise remains. We also tried removing the jack and tools from its compartment in the boot. Secondly, we also noticed that the exhaust has a very loud rattle to it, when accelerating. However, when sitting a constant speed, there is no rattle, only when acceleration to change gears, or pick up speed. The rattle is very loud and distracting, and by loud I mean when dad drove it past me yesterday, I could only hear the exhaust rattling, not the engine/car itself. We checked around the exhaust, but found nothing. The only thing we can think it would be is vibration of/from the metal plate (hot plate?) that sits above the muffler. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. Please note this is my first car so I'm not exactly up to speed on all the technical terms, so please put it in very basic terms.

Thanks alot, regards,

Daniel

when I got my gen 7, I had a similar problem. check the exhaust manifold for loose or missing bolts. secondly, the casing for your catalytic converter might have come apart, and that's a simple job of drilling a hole in each corner and landing a bolt there to keep it together.

as for the bumping sound, I couldn't tell you for sure. but if it's the exhaust banging against the underside of the vehicle, then it might just be worth your while to replace *cough* I mean UPGRADE the exhaust

the noise from the back would probably be the rear anti roll bar bushes mate

the noise from the exhaust probably a heat shield fallen down maybe

hope this helps

the noise from the back would probably be the rear anti roll bar bushes mate

the noise from the exhaust probably a heat shield fallen down maybe

hope this helps

Cheers. Where can I find the anti roll bar brushes? Thanks for your help to everyone who replied!