Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High Revs When Cold

jsg

I have high (2,000) revs when starting from cold in my 2003 petrol verso. This is a recent development and my local Toyota garage says not a problem! I disagree. Have changed air filter and checked sensor in air filter feed pipe (it's hell without manuals isn't it!). When warm, no problems but when cold the revs can fluctuate by as much as 2-300 revs (going from say 1,500 - 1,800) when stopped at traffic lights shortly after cold start. Any ideas? The car has 35,000 on clock and owned by us from new.

That sounds ok, in the recent cold weather mine is the same, as soon as the temp rises to the first marker on the gauge its then ok. I wouldn't worry if the revs are stable when its warm.

Bumley

• 3 weeks later...

Relax! Everthing is fine, every Avensis and indeed most cars do this. The choke automatically comes on on every car engine after starting from cold for a period until the engine's brain (ecu) decides it's at the correct temperature to turn off, at which point i'd bet any money your revs level off to around 700-900 rpm. And the explanation for your car fluctuating while stopped at traffic lights is your car is beginning to get warm because the engine isn't being cooled by air passing through the engine as is what happens whilst moving. So your fan on your radiator kicks in to blow cool air on the engine. However, this fan doesn't run on thin air, it needs electricity which will be generated by your engine. But this naturally puts a healthy load on your engine. Similarly you would notice the same happening when you turn on your full headlights with your engine running, this does the same doesn't it? It's perfectly natural for your car to do this and i wouldn't worry about it in the least bit.

From cold 2000 RPM sounds wrong to me, way to high plus fluctuating. D4D 2 ltr from cold for example will rise to 1200 RPM if heater switched on before car fully warmed. If you did not have this raised idle speed (plus fluctuating high idle ) from new, sounds odd to me.

From cold 2000 RPM sounds wrong to me, way to high plus fluctuating. D4D 2 ltr from cold for example will rise to 1200 RPM if heater switched on before car fully warmed. If you did not have this raised idle speed (plus fluctuating high idle ) from new, sounds odd to me.

I agree with Beagh. Although it is normal for the revs to increase when cold, 2000 rpm is way too high. For example, my 1.8vvti, this morning at 4.40am at -2 c, engine revs were at 1400. When fully warmed up, temp gauge smack bang in the centre, idle drops back to 750rpm when stationary. Possibly an air leak in the induction system?

Maybe others can post figures for theirs.

P.S. Mine is a 2002.

Sounds OK to me.

I have a 2003 petrol 1.8.

Mine is around 1800revs or so on a cold morning. Done it since I had it in 2005. The jumping up and down when stopping at lights during the first few minutes happens due to the extra electrical load as described by AvensisMolester. I also leave it to warm up a bit too before driving off. Turning off the heating during the warm up period makes it warm up a touch faster too.

Settles down nicely once warmed up to the 800 mark I think.

I've had this on all my cars, not just Toyota...

Cheers

Mike

I have high (2,000) revs when starting from cold in my 2003 petrol verso. This is a recent development and my local Toyota garage says not a problem! I disagree. Have changed air filter and checked sensor in air filter feed pipe (it's hell without manuals isn't it!). When warm, no problems but when cold the revs can fluctuate by as much as 2-300 revs (going from say 1,500 - 1,800) when stopped at traffic lights shortly after cold start. Any ideas? The car has 35,000 on clock and owned by us from new.

hello

No worries

Mine gives 1800-1900 rpm at cold starting.

cheers/Igor

My 2005 54 plate 1.8 petrol also revs 1800 ish when very cold. Soon settles to 7-800 when warm . Give Toyota engineers some credit for allowing warm air from those face level vents after only a couple of minutes starting from -3deg C.

my y plate (2001) 1.8petrol on a cold start goes to about 1800-2000rpm then will rest at between 800-900.

2000 rpm when cold sounds perfectly normal. Especially in cold weather.

• 7 years later...

hii,

my t27 diesel 1.8l avensis  build 2013 , i bought a 2nd hand very new... today is my first cold -1c experience. only today i experienced high rev when idling.. 

this morning, when i start and even after i went for a short journey, not enough for the engine to reach normal operating temp - (middle) of the temperature range, the rev is still normal at less than 1k rpm (that's normal for this car as what i have noticed), but as soon as i turn on the internal fan (even with temperature setting all the way down to "low" which is the lowest i can set, the fan on with lowest possible setting, nothing else is set to on) the rpm will immediately to up to 1200rpm..

now this idle at 1200rpm is my first time with this car... i first thought something peculiar  about it.. later i noticed you all have such issue, i am all the more convinced it is just ok.. since 1200rpm is not that high, and since my engine is not at normal temperature.

before these, the weather is not so low till -1c , it never happened like this.. the rpm only went up a little bit when i turn the heater on to 19- 21c when blower fan on almost max.. then the rpm goes up at idle..

today , outside temp is -1c, the idle temp goes up as long as the internet climate control unit is not "off", doesn't matter if your temp setting is lowest, or fan speed is lowest.

ok.. hopefully all good guys..

however 2000 rpm sounds a bit over... just my opinon.

andrew

anybody know the both side windows of toyota avensis (under manufacturer warranty), when the plastic can't wipe off the water droplets that stick all over (until i have trouble turning corner) even after i slide open and close the windows.. is it under manufacturer warranty ?

is it an issue or is it just normal for all toyota ?

previously i drove bmw, when i open and close the power windows, the rubber strip at the windows will wipe all the water off my window glass, so i can see clearly when i am doing a corner or turning.. ** who know if there are some idiot trying to cross the road in rainy weather thinking they have the right of way without even consider come car driver might not able to notice them early enough*** 

now i don't mean i am so rude and careless, just that my windows are full with droplet of water in rainy day, (apparently toyota didn't design good glass that prevent excess of droplet staying on glass till can't see thru under low light environment.

anybody know if this rubber strip is under manufacturer warranty ? or they warranty never cover this issue ?

thanks.

andrew

1 hour ago, andrewysk said:

hii,

my t27 diesel 1.8l avensis  build 2013 , i bought a 2nd hand very new... today is my first cold -1c experience. only today i experienced high rev when idling.. 

this morning, when i start and even after i went for a short journey, not enough for the engine to reach normal operating temp - (middle) of the temperature range, the rev is still normal at less than 1k rpm (that's normal for this car as what i have noticed), but as soon as i turn on the internal fan (even with temperature setting all the way down to "low" which is the lowest i can set, the fan on with lowest possible setting, nothing else is set to on) the rpm will immediately to up to 1200rpm..

now this idle at 1200rpm is my first time with this car... i first thought something peculiar  about it.. later i noticed you all have such issue, i am all the more convinced it is just ok.. since 1200rpm is not that high, and since my engine is not at normal temperature.

before these, the weather is not so low till -1c , it never happened like this.. the rpm only went up a little bit when i turn the heater on to 19- 21c when blower fan on almost max.. then the rpm goes up at idle..

today , outside temp is -1c, the idle temp goes up as long as the internet climate control unit is not "off", doesn't matter if your temp setting is lowest, or fan speed is lowest.

ok.. hopefully all good guys..

however 2000 rpm sounds a bit over... just my opinon.

andrew

anybody know the both side windows of toyota avensis (under manufacturer warranty), when the plastic can't wipe off the water droplets that stick all over (until i have trouble turning corner) even after i slide open and close the windows.. is it under manufacturer warranty ?

previously i drove bmw, when i open and close the power windows, the rubber strip at the windows will wipe all the water off my window glass, so i can see clearly when i am doing a corner or turning.. ** who know if there are some idiot trying to cross the road in rainy weather thinking they have the right of way without even consider come car driver might not able to notice them early enough*** 

now i don't mean i am so rude and careless, just that my windows are full with droplet of water in rainy day, (apparently toyota didn't design good glass that prevent excess of droplet staying on glass till can't see thru under low light environment.

anybody know if this rubber strip is under manufacturer warranty ? or they warranty never cover this issue ?

thanks.

andrew

Andrew,

I think you have mixed up your engine description - t27 diesel 1.8l avensis  build 2013 - but at least your profile is correct. It is a 2litre diesel. I cannot say if the cold starting rev's are normal or not. On petrol, 2000 rpm is normal, and the revs drop quickly if the car is driven. That is why I start up and drive off immediately. The car warms up very fast when driven.

Clearing the side windows by lowering them then raising. I cannot remember with my current car, because I clear all windows before getting in and starting the car as mentioned above. My old car did partially clear the glass, so had to clear them. I did polish the windows so the water runs off quickly.

I am still trying to remember as I type this, and maybe it does clear. 

Other hopefully can answer. 

Konrad

• Thanks 1

at this time of year & particularly with aircon, demist etc. on from an overnight cold start the 2.2D will idle ~1200rpm until it warms up (5+ miles) I presume that the 2.0 D4D will be similar as it is a related design.

& my Avensis window seals don't fully clear water either - must try some RainX or similar. Mind you, my Fords & Vauxhalls didn't either.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2016 at 6:53 AM, andrewysk said:

thanks.

andrew

By coincidence a similar query regarding clearing moisture from outside glass, on the Auris page - if you read the link you will find the answer from Frostyballs (Mike).

konrad C and heidfirst

you guys are are superb.. answered my questions..

and will try to polish my glass also... let me learn from youtube first.  lol

just wish toyota will do like bmw windows... able to clear rain droplets with wind up and wind down of windows.. :=)

btw, if car windows and wipers and door rubbers become frozen.. yesterday, my windows got stuck...  rubber frozen...

what's your way of preventing it ? talcum power on the rubber (but useless as it rains.. it washes away) . or silicon light oil spray ?

thx.

andrew

Try silicone spray (not WD40 or similar) in the window channels of the door - this should provide some lubrication and enable the window to slide easier.

Could try something like these for the wipers - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vehicle-Anti-frost-cover-windscreen-wipers/dp/B013QPDV24/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480443182&sr=8-3&keywords=windscreen+wiper+covers

the one that seems to get the most recommendations for door seals etc. is Einszett Gummi Pflege but it isn't cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

a month ago, i saw this at this nigrin brand of talcum powder spray. it says prevent windows and door rubber freeze shut. 

so i bought one, 4.50 euro and after i sprayed on the rubber, it turns powdery white spots... all over.. even after i wipe the windows and paint with wet cloth, some white stain still remain... terrible. ok my bad for not taping up all the parts with masking tape..

after 1 days of raining, the white powder on the door and windows seals being washed off.. bummer. !

forgive me for saying this bad word:  this Nigrin talcum spray is doing no ****. !! wasted 4.50 for a piece of ****.

just now i was searching the link that the 2 nice guys above gave me:

and i saw this : http://shop.baumarkt-goellnitz.de/index.php?cl=details&anid=6e93d01368307395cda8dc36482ee431&gclid=CKSejdCH6dACFVRAGwodvOkDCQ

Nigrin Gummipflege mit Rapsöl ...

what !?! with cooking oil ? !! if i want to use cooking oil, why should i buy from NIGRIN ? !!

This Nigrin brand is so short of money  that it willing to get everything it can get to make all kind of !Removed! product... to earn even a small amount of extra money..

i am so ****** off.

sorry , my anger is vented.. :=)

20161210_081505.jpg

FROSTYBALLS:

I heard some youtuber said vinegar with water can be spray the night before to prevent icing  on the wind screen. just push and the frost will drop off.. 

anybody tried it ? does diluted vinegar stain left behind after water dried causing harm to rubber parts and paint >?

On 11/29/2016 at 7:12 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Try silicone spray (not WD40 or similar) in the window channels of the door - this should provide some lubrication and enable the window to slide easier.

Could try something like these for the wipers - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vehicle-Anti-frost-cover-windscreen-wipers/dp/B013QPDV24/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480443182&sr=8-3&keywords=windscreen+wiper+covers

i have bought slicon gleit spray.. it is a very thin coat of silicon spray .. very thin.. i hope it won't ruining the rubber seal of door and window...

anybody any idea ?

15 minutes ago, andrewysk said:

i have bought slicon gleit spray.. it is a very thin coat of silicon spray .. very thin.. i hope it won't ruining the rubber seal of door and window...

anybody any idea ?

Silicon is designed to be used on rubber and not affect rubber properties. I used this to help electric windows on cars - http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p21983

• Like 1