Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Fuel Gauge

AdamN

Hi,

I had the fuel tank replaced recently on my 98 Avensis CDX. The fuel gauge will only go up to 2/3 when there is a full tank and hits empty when there is about 1/3 of a tank left. (Obviously) The garage thought they had damaged the sender and put a new one in. The same problem still exists with the new one. Otherwise the car is working fine.

Sorry as a side note, fuel is more likely to spray back at you when filling the tank now. My wife has been sprayed with fuel a couple of times.

When the sender is not in the tank but connected, moving the sender will have the fuel gauge move the full range. It does not feel like it is a resistor issue in the sender.

Also, I had the garage check all breathers in case a build up of pressure was causing a problem.

All I can think now is the sender must be mounted incorrectly.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance .. AdamN

Hi,

I had the fuel tank replaced recently on my 98 Avensis CDX. The fuel gauge will only go up to 2/3 when there is a full tank and hits empty when there is about 1/3 of a tank left. (Obviously) The garage thought they had damaged the sender and put a new one in. The same problem still exists with the new one. Otherwise the car is working fine.

Sorry as a side note, fuel is more likely to spray back at you when filling the tank now. My wife has been sprayed with fuel a couple of times.

When the sender is not in the tank but connected, moving the sender will have the fuel gauge move the full range. It does not feel like it is a resistor issue in the sender.

Also, I had the garage check all breathers in case a build up of pressure was causing a problem.

All I can think now is the sender must be mounted incorrectly.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance .. AdamN

My guess is that this is a pattern fuel tank and not a genuine Toyota part. If so, you may have to do a bit of bending to the rod that mounts the float, trial and error as to how far to bend.

The fuel spray back is down to poor filler neck breathing, either from poor manufacture or possibly a trapped venting pipe from the tank top to neck.

Other option is to have a genuine tank fitted if this is the case.

Thanks Q.S. I think you are right. I am pretty sure it is not a genuine toyota part looking at it. Trial and error it is! and I will check the venting pipes around the neck. Thanks again!