Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help With Buying A Gen7

sipowell85

Hi all.

Joined a while back now as was looking into buying a Supra, but I ended up buying a Civic SiR...somehow!!! lol

Anyway I'm now wanting to buy a Gen7 Celica as I've wanted 1 for ages!! Want some advice on weather to go for the 140 or 190 model?? My mate and my Dad both have 140's and love em! bearing in mind my Civic is very revvy I was thinking I'd prefer the 190 but after speaking to some people, the general consencus of opinion is that there is precious little difference between the 190 and 140.

Just want some of your guys views to help guide me! Also when buying either model, is there anything I need to keep an eye out for??

Cheers in advance and sorry for the long rambling post!!! :rolleyes:

Hi all.

Joined a while back now as was looking into buying a Supra, but I ended up buying a Civic SiR...somehow!!! lol

Anyway I'm now wanting to buy a Gen7 Celica as I've wanted 1 for ages!! Want some advice on weather to go for the 140 or 190 model?? My mate and my Dad both have 140's and love em! bearing in mind my Civic is very revvy I was thinking I'd prefer the 190 but after speaking to some people, the general consencus of opinion is that there is precious little difference between the 190 and 140.

Just want some of your guys views to help guide me! Also when buying either model, is there anything I need to keep an eye out for??

Cheers in advance and sorry for the long rambling post!!! :rolleyes:

How much do you want to spend? :rolleyes:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=85373

Unfortunately not that much bud!! Nice car but I've got to keep to what I can get for the Civ really!!

Upto the 'Lift' kicks it at about 6k revs, the 190 is the same as the 140. So if you want a car that you don't have to heavy rev, then get a 140.

I've seen them going for about 4-5k, depending on year, spec etc. Be carefull of pre-face lift models due to the engine oil problem, though saying that I've got an 02 pre-facelift with no problems.

Other things to look out for are: Weak boot struts and alloy wheel bubbling.

I wouldn't be too worried about high miles either, as the engines are sound. I've got 85k miles on my clock and still runs like a dream.

Good luck.

Upto the 'Lift' kicks it at about 6k revs, the 190 is the same as the 140. So if you want a car that you don't have to heavy rev, then get a 140.

I've seen them going for about 4-5k, depending on year, spec etc. Be carefull of pre-face lift models due to the engine oil problem, though saying that I've got an 02 pre-facelift with no problems.

Other things to look out for are: Weak boot struts and alloy wheel bubbling.

I wouldn't be too worried about high miles either, as the engines are sound. I've got 85k miles on my clock and still runs like a dream.

Good luck.

OK thanks. I have heard of the oil problem but surely its only a problem if you don't check your levels regularly though?? I meticulously maintain my cars anyway so should be OK, or is it a fault that is just there and will eventually blow the engine??

It's an inherent fault so it's pot luck if you buy a pre face lift. The sensible buy is a face lift 140 even if your heart wants a 190, so choose carefully. Even the 190/T Sport can have problems with the Lift Bolts wearing and eventually shearing off into the Engine, but they are easily replaced with uprated Bolts. Like the 140, this fault was addressed when the face lift was introduced in autumn 2002, but a face lift T Sport is likely to be above your budget.

Thanks thats a really helpful piece of info! I shall have a look around as and when I've sold the Civ!

The oil problem is supposedly confined to the pre-facelift model, the easy way to tell this model is the toyaota Badge on the front is inset in a grill, later models move the Badge to the brow of the 'nose'

I might be corrected on that though.

My previous car was a cliosport 172....i currently have the 140 pre-facelift gen7 and there are times when i miss the power of my clio. That said i really do love my Celica and the 140 has enough kick to it, i just like a bit of power. So to answer your question it depends on if you like to have lots of power or if that doesnt worry you too much.

IMO i would probably get the 140 and save yourself the extra insurance and the extra to buy it in the first place.

Whatever you do, dont regret buying one, they are very good cars :)

BFM

The easiest way to spot the difference in the 140 models, is the grill.

Pre-face lift have a small grill, while facelift models have a long slit grill.

As for spotting the oil problem, I think it's pot luck. If you look at any, check the oil level first. If it's low, walk away. It might just be low, but it might have the problem but it's not worth the risk. Make sure it has a good service history as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links