Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ipod, Tns700 Satnav, 37 Playlists – Ipod Connection Kit

2912pwil

Elsewhere in this esteemed (and very helpful, thanks guys, ) site people are be-moaning the limit of 6 playlists with the Toyota iPod connection kit with the TNS700 Sat/Nav, colour screen, that comes with the Avensis TR (and others probably – anyone know which models??)

In my experience you can have 30+ playlists running off your iPod using Toyota's surprisingly expensive and function-lite connection kit. However it does work, albeit I hope whoever designed the connection kit is now happy working elsewhere now.....

You can flip up/down the tracks IN a playlist (and can have 100+ tracks in a playlist) either from the front of the Sat/Nav (Seek Track up/down) or with the steering wheel remote buttons ˅ ˄ - just a wee touch - ..

See...

gallery_66938_744_119652.jpg

You can also flip up/down the PLAYLISTS with the steering wheel remote buttons ˅ ˄ - press and hold for a second-ish. Alternatively, pressing any of the 1-2-3-4-5-6 screen-shown buttons on the SatNav TNS700 display, but that only gives you access, initially, to the first 6 playlists: So for all the other playlists you need to use the steering wheel remote buttons ˅ ˄ - press and hold for a second-ish – as well . Nope, I couldn't find that described in the Toyota Manuals anywhere either: Anyone seen this written up sensibly by Mr T??

(PS Anyone found where Toyota tell you where the horn buttons on the steering wheel are in the manual? Dumb Q I know (keep pressing things till it works..****-head) but an odd omission - unless I'm going blind..no, an evil slur sir!..)

Once past the “Last Selected” playlist (#1 in the list in my experience) you get the Playlist name on the TNS700 display and the track names.. WHEN PLAYING: i.e. You have to get to the playlist or track to find out what it is (Grrr..). So worth re-editing all those Track0xs...to sensible names

Using my iPod in the Avensis required a change of thinking/usage on my part with my iPod. The connection kit only knows about the “Last Selected” Playlist & then all the other Playlists you've set up. So largely I've made a playlist for each Album/CD.. but it is great for e.g. multi-CD operas.. (yup, 12 hours+ of Wagner's “Ring Cycle” on one Playlist can be yours..).

So, If you have say 37 playlist (Yup, me..) and want to get to playlist 27, “Quincy Jones”, then the quickest way – starting from a just-connected iPod is get listening to your iPod, press “6” on the Sat/Nav screen, then ˄ press and hold for a couple of seconds, then “6” (with me??) etc 4 times then find it slowly... Or, keep doing ˄ press and hold for a couple of seconds.

PS My playlists are in alphabetic order – no idea if there is a choice, I'm a simple (getting simpler) minded 60 year old bus-pass holder.

Written from my experiences with a 2008 Avensis TR and an iPod Classic, 120Gb (sixth generation). Seems to work the same with a 1Gb Nano (1st Generation).

btw I find from time-2-time the system only gives a screen with track 1 of playlist 1 and won't do anything else. It SEEMS to be related to being in iPod connection mode when switching everything off: Anyone any suggestions please?? Only fix I know is switch everything off, physically disconnect the iPod then switch it off (if on), then reconnnect all again. Weird!

Any corrections/additions/other experiences anyone??

Anyone else got any hints, please? I've one for Mr T.

1.Design the kit.

2.Write the manual.

3.Let punters play with it and feedback.

4.See what the opposition have just let out...

5.Re-Design the kit.

6.Re-Write the manual.

7.Let punters play with it again and feedback.

8.See what the opp....

9.…

This one feels so like it was released (escaped?) and never tested/improved, particularly the instructions. Ho hum. No doubt 'twill be faultless in 2 years time with the next set of kit....

NB - Diagnostics menu on TNS700...

Hold the Info button and switch your lights on/off three times.

You get various boring things including speed in KM/hr

Press and hold the Info button to get out of it

• 3 weeks later...

I had a TNS600 in my Corolla with the iPod connector. It drove me crazy just the same way you are explaining here. Now I got a Avensis with the TNS700 and thanks to someone it plays mp3-cd's because I really wont buy the iPod connector before these "problems" are fixed. In the American version of the new satnav they have the XM-radio built-in and connecting the iPod to the unit will get you full iPod control through the XM-radio menu. In ours it's the cd-changer connector that limits the functionality because it's meant to connect to a changer that works quite primitively.

Hoping for better functionality though, really liked to connect my iPod classic or iPhone to the car system :)

Not much help, but some info anyway...

• 2 weeks later...
Once past the “Last Selected” playlist (#1 in the list in my experience) you get the Playlist name on the TNS700 display and the track names.. WHEN PLAYING: i.e. You have to get to the playlist or track to find out what it is (Grrr..). So worth re-editing all those Track0xs...to sensible names

Same unit in my T180 (I think, flip colour screen), but I can't get it to show playlist or track names... Can you offer any more on how to display them?

Same unit in my T180 (I think, flip colour screen), but I can't get it to show playlist or track names... Can you offer any more on how to display them?

Just plugged the iPod in and up they came... certain I didn't selecct any options.. 'twas an ex-Enterprise rent-a-wreck car but the connection kit was fitted for me so must (?) have had the standard default settings. Gets playlist & track names for both Classic iPod & Nano.

Next time I'm out (2009.) I'll see if there are any options to set...

Nope, no options I can see...

Herewith a snap of the display

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33920896@N02/3160635364/

and another

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33920896@N02/3160635358/

Playlist is shown as "Disc" (in this case "Quincy Jones")

Track is shown as "Track" (in this case "Birdland")

top of display shows Disc 1 Track 9 - 'tis track 9 in that Playlist..

What do you get on the diisplay??

Cheers!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links