• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bibbs

• 97paseo

• Jimlad

• Jamesb4uk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this possible to fit on a 2003 Corolla? I will be very happy to lose the trip computer display (and also the accelerator, I don't mind!) if I could install one of these double-din units!!!

if you have the double headunit sized hole .. then yeah ..

Take a pic of your dash .. and I can tell ya ..

Hiya koki142... a few things I'd like to bring to your attention before you make any decisions.

I had the same head unit as you have, and just thought that you should be aware that although your tape IS a double din unit, installing the HU as pictured in this thread will result in you having a gaping hole around it.

Basically, the unit will fit in the space, but because the dash has a small 'S' shape curve and is wider than standard double din, the square fronted HU will look odd. You will be left with approximately 15mm of space on either side of the HU and around 5mm of space at the top and bottom of the HU.

As yet, I have been unable to locate a double din spacer/fascia for the Corolla, but single din fascias are available.

I had taken my standard unit out and replaced it with 2 x single din HU and was presented with this gap which I could do nothing about. I went like this for around 4 months until I managed to find a place in the States that sold single din fascias. So I went for this part and installed a whole new sound system in the car :censor:

If you want to get an idea check out my pics...

This one... http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/al...1/Screen_Closed

shows my single din unit in place with the single din fascia.

And this one... http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/al.../Screen_Closed2

shows where the double din unit will fit. The double din unit will fit INSIDE the red area, and the space between red and green will be left exposed. This is very ugly and can be potentially dangerous.

Anyway, just though I would let you know about this.

If anyone does find a double din fascia for the Corolla, please let us know.

Hope it goes well for you all with the double din units.

Peace Out... Atik :thumbsup:

Hello atikali2000!

Thank you very much for your information, it is very useful for me.

But I think I have two more problems with these more-than-pretty double din units: how to get one of them to Spain, and price.... so I was thinking on installing a mp3 player maybe in the glove compartment. My problem is that I don't want to lose the trip computer display that comes with the car, but I will not pay the money Toyota pretends for a simple CD changer... Does anybody knows if this is possible? Can I maintain the trip computer display and install an mp3 player in the glove compartment? Also it would be great if I can reuse the wheel's controls....

Maybe this question doesn't go here.. sorry for that !

PD: Atikali, your photos discovers me a new audio world for the Corolla! Looking for more information, I found this: http://www.extremecaraudio.pl/Zabudowy/corolla2.htm

I think it is possible to add an MP3 player... but it may be in the form of an MP3/CD changer.

I know it is possible to add CD changers, but maybe it could be possible to add an MP3/CD changer. I know Kenwood do them (I have one :P ) but cant be certain that it will be compatible with the standard unit.

BTW - nice site there... shame I dont understand a word :(

I think that guy got a totally custom job done to the units in the dash. If you look closely, the curve on top of the screen sticks out from the front face of the screen <_<

The only thing I want fron that is the HU fitting for the storage compartment above the cigarette ashtray. I have been looking for something like that and contemplating if it will look good or not. After seeing the pictures, I might just leave it as it is. Looks too cluttered :unsure:

Atik

Thanks again Atik, I also think that is possible to add a mp3 cd-changer which will allow to maintain factory display (and also maybe audio wheel controls).

Here is what I found: (please, look at ATYS001)

http://www.add-a-cdchanger.co.uk/acatalog/...hanger_266.html

It seems it has to work, but I'm afraid I don't know how to verify the radio model... :unsure:

Does anybody install it? it works?

The CD-Changer is from Sony, at least the one I found together with the interface. :drool:

I can have the cd-changer at very good price, but nobody in "the real world" knows about the interface, I just found references on internet. If someone tells me it works, maybe I order one.

Again, thanks !

:thumbsup:

OK, good find there :thumbsup:

The standard CD player in the Corolla is a Matsu****a model 86120-02260 (I can post a picture of the rear connections on the unit), and therefore (according to the text) the MP3 changer WILL fit. You just need to find a fitter that can do the job. Handy AND cheaper if you can do it yourself ;)

One other thing I would recommend is that you get the Changer fitted under the front passenger seat. I have my changer there, and is very easy to access to change disks. Just make sure it gets fitted properly as you dont want a loose changer under the seat for all obvious reasons.

:D

Atik

Thanks again for your help!.

Question is that I don't have a CD player, just a casette. I had a reason for that, I used to hear a minidisc which I bought in Japan, so I did not need CDs. But now the minidisc makes game over... What I think, but I'm not sure, is a CD changer can be installed without having to have a CD player. Am I wrong?. I suppose it because the deck has one button which is "Tape / Disc", and also it contains all the controls for change disc and tracks.

If this is true, then the only thing I need is how to remove the unit from the Corolla for checking the model, if it matchs the requeriments, I will order it at soon as possible !

Also I read the post of Avensis and MP3 he had problems with the installation (the connection didn't as they seems).

Maybe one day I can hear my mp3 music on the car???? ( :yes::yes::yes: )

• 3 weeks later...

want mine?

Erm .. nothing MP3 I think .. I know the 3 units are on their way from Japan ..

Mine is the silver Kenwood one with about 5 pics (with the nicely bubbled silver dash).

DCP_1555.sized.jpg

what are the specs?

how much?

ill find out next week if i can afford it - get a nice tax rebate from the company i work for :lol::thumbsup:

J

Now you are asking .. it's CD/MD .. erm .. CD changer control .. 7 band equ and does all the "concert hall","disco" effects ..

think it's about 40watt .. got a remote for the steering wheel and an AUX cable too (for my Xbox) ..

Looking for a couple of hundred to pay for the alpine one I've got comming over ..

about that .. maybe a bit more for the remote and AUX cable ..

ok 95% sure its a yes - ill hopefully find out in the next few days when the moneys coming through.

how many RCA outputs does it have?

J

RCA? It's got the standard block and a single pre-out I think ..

Kenwood DPX-6100MD (ke-dpx6100md)

Dual size MD/CD receiver

It corresponds to the CD-R / the CD-RW. (We do not correspond to the MP3.)

47w x 4 high power amplifier built-in.

6 hole DSP / 7 band EQ built-in.

2 mode 13 band spectrum analyzers.

NEW sliding panel mechanism (manual).

Security cord/code correspondence for robbery prevention.

1.5v high voltage RCA1 pre- out.

Remote control correspondence (KCA-R7 and RC600 selling separately).

CD text indication correspondence (at the time of CD changer connection).

Separate power IC.

[ MD section ]

Frequency characteristic: 20Hz - 20kHz (+ 1dB)

S / N ratio: 90dB (1kHz)

Dynamic range: 90dB

Stereo separation: 85dB

[ CD section ]

Frequency characteristic: 10Hz - 20kHz (+ 1dB)

S / N ratio: 93dB (1kHz)

Dynamic range: 93dB

Stereo separation: 85dB

[ FM section ]

Reception frequency range: 76.0MHz - 90.0MHz (100kHz step)

Practical speed: 9.3dBf (0.8 mu V / 75 Omega)

Frequency characteristic: 30Hz - 15kHz (+ 3.0dB)

Stereo separation: 40dB (1kHz)

[ AM section ]

Reception frequency range: 522kHz - 1629kHz (9kHz step)

Sensitivity: 28dB mu

[ EQ ]

Equalizer - center frequency (Hz): 60, 160 and 400, 1k, 2k, 6k and 16k

Variable range: + 12dB

[ Audio section ]

Installed capacity: 47w x 4

Rated output: 29w x 4 (4 Omega, 1kHz and 10% THD)

Pre- out level: 1500mV (FM/10k Omega)

[ Common section ]

Power source voltage: 14.4v (11 - 16v)

Largest consumed electric current: 10A

Pad size: 178w x 100H x 155dmm

Mass: 2.9kg

• 3 weeks later...

got mine in the car today looks F:censor:Kin great i love well chuffed now all i need is to order the in dash dvd alpine of course the get the custom fiber glass suround made up

:thumbsup:

cheers BIBBS