Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Rattle

pete_112smp

I have a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 (extra cab) with a rattle. The rattle occurs while driving at speeds of 45 mph to 80 mph, it is a high metallic (metal on metal) rattle. The rattle goes away with slight acceleration or stress on drivetrain/engine. Sounds like it is coming from the mid-section of the vehicle. Can anyone shed light on the problem?

• 1 month later...

I have a 1999 Tacoma 4x4 (extra cab) with the same problem. A squeaky rattle that comes from the rear of the truck. The rattle is not present during acceleration.

I have just started to search for a solution to the problem, with no luck. Have you any new information since this posting?

I also had a "noise,rattle,squeak" comming from from the mid section of my 96 tacoma. I jacked the rear end up and put the truck thru the gears till I heard the noise I then put a board on the accelerator and went underneath. I was surprised but the noise was comming from the driveshaft. I had already checked the u joints and they seem good and tight(just gear lash on both ends). I bought a tube of grease and greased the drive shaft throughly. To my surprise the noise ceased and hasan't returned-thank goodness it was driving me crazy. Hope this might help someone

Pete your problem sounds as if I wrote it. Try greasing your drive shaft especially the grease fitting to the slip joint -lay the grease to it-regards

Greasing the slip joint fitting silenced the squeak for now. I jacked the back of the truck up to get the drive shaft extened as much as possible, and then greased, with lithium and then drove for 2,ooo miles through rain, sleet, and snow, up and down mountain pases, freezing and thawing, ranging from 1 to 103 miles per hour.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think there is long term negative effects happening? Or, if there are any service reports that deal with the drive train rotational squeak?

PS. The drive was from Wisconsin to Washington.

Hi skugrud:

Boy I don't know, I hope not. I guess we will find out. Right now I'm just glad I don't have to listen to that noise- at least for a while-LOL

Regards

Dgreen103

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links