Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parking Light Bulb Replacement

trbj

It's allways nice to see a bulb blown occationally, - then one knows that the Battery voltage and consequently the charging circuitry is in good condition!

However, while I never had a problem changing any bulb on any car I ever owned I'm a bit stuck on this one.....

How is it possible for anyone with normal size hands to get in behind the parking light bulbs on a RAV4 (if that is what it takes) and change them?

Or, - do I have to take the entire headlamp unit out, - if so; how is it secured in the bottom, - on top there is just the two screws I presume?

Or, - do I take the glass out and change the bulbs from the front? If so how do I get the glass out, - I can see the three plastic clips on the top!?! What more?

Thanks for any help, - my hands are still !Removed! following the first attempt!

Hi trbj

I tried changing the bulb some months ago, and had to go to my local toyota garage to get it done. I claimed that toyota must have used children workers to assemble the car, cause no adult hand could possibly change that bulb!

The guy at the garage changed the bulb with no problem, so I had to ask what he did... basically just turn the bulb socket against the clock to release (if you can fit your hand of course).

folk in Norway must be blessed with hands that swell in winter.

I removed the headlamp unit today - fastened by 2 bolts on top and 2 more below hidden by a bit of metal fascia. No blood altho some swearing did happen after 1 bolt dropped in below the bumper....but as itsa raining I'll leave it til its dry. The connectors are a bit of a pain so I'll wd40 em when I fit the new headlamp units. The original headlamp unit was required for RAV number 2 to pass its MOT. Kingo let me down by not having cheap replicas in below his desk. So I had to purrchais them from a seller in Stockport - ah mean - Kingo could have run along there in his lunchtime surely??

Tried again the St Thicket methology, - more blood, - no way I can get my relatively nomal hands in to get in touch with the parkinglight bulb socket!

May well have to consult my grandchildren on this one.

Alternative is to take out the entire lightunit following the boothwell_buyer methology, but I am still uncertain as to how to identify and loosen the two bottom screws.....! Appreciate som further advice!

Unfortunately the headlight has a fixing at the bottom and for that the bumper has to come off.

The instructions for doing that are here but if you can wait until tomorrow (hopefully) I will have a look at a 4.2 and see if there is an easier way.

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/legacy/To...15-X0950-02.pdf

I had a look at my mates 4.2 and yes, you have to either take the light unit out or cut your hands to bits. I could get at the LH one Ok but the RH is behind the ABS pump and window washer bottle spout.

It seems that you have fallen across one of the more awkward jobs on a RAV.

You could try taking the grill off and see if that bumper reinforcement will come off seperately. It might allow easy access to the headlight lower bolt;

headlight.jpg

You will need a small screwdriver to remove the infil panel shown above there are lugs either side that you have to gently ease.

Also the bottom of the headlamp is held with a screw on one side and clipped on the other you have to ease the lamp out from the clip if I remember right it's the small round bit which you ease forward.

• 3 months later...
You will need a small screwdriver to remove the infil panel shown above there are lugs either side that you have to gently ease.

Also the bottom of the headlamp is held with a screw on one side and clipped on the other you have to ease the lamp out from the clip if I remember right it's the small round bit which you ease forward.

It's been a long winter up here in Norway, but the snow eventually has started melting and the sun is getting us quite a bit warmer, - spring is on it's way.

As to the damn right hand side parking light bulb I just left it to now, - i.e. deceided not to take the effort of taking off the bumper and headlight.

Yesterday in bright sun and beautiful weather I again tried to get my hand around the connector. Impossible as before!

Then rolling up my right hand sleeve and applying liquid soap halfway up to my elbow I easily got my hand all the way in and on to the connector, then turning it anticlockwise, - out came the whole thing. Then replaced the bulb with a nice whiteshiny LED, - beautiful.

Then to the other side, left hand now, soap not necersary, out with the bulb and in with the LED.

All done in less than 5 minutes.

Thanks to all of you for good advise, - but the winning point was the one made about norwegian hands swelling in winter, - it's obviously very true, but can becompensated by applying liquid soap....!!

It's been a long winter up here in Norway, but the snow eventually has started melting and the sun is getting us quite a bit warmer, - spring is on it's way.

As to the damn right hand side parking light bulb I just left it to now, - i.e. deceided not to take the effort of taking off the bumper and headlight.

Yesterday in bright sun and beautiful weather I again tried to get my hand around the connector. Impossible as before!

Then rolling up my right hand sleeve and applying liquid soap halfway up to my elbow I easily got my hand all the way in and on to the connector, then turning it anticlockwise, - out came the whole thing. Then replaced the bulb with a nice whiteshiny LED, - beautiful.

Then to the other side, left hand now, soap not necersary, out with the bulb and in with the LED.

All done in less than 5 minutes.

Thanks to all of you for good advise, - but the winning point was the one made about norwegian hands swelling in winter, - it's obviously very true, but can becompensated by applying liquid soap....!!

Ever thought of training as a Vet ? They get their hands in tight, inaccessible places :eek:

Vet? Guess I ought to consider, - yes, - I'm kinda proud to be able to change the front right hand parking light bulb on the worlds most fantastic car.

On the other side, - would I really like to stick my hands into more lively animalish environments? I guess no.

Anyhow, - if anybody needs advise as to changing parking light bulbs on a 2002 RAV 4, - normal hands or smaller with liquid soap is the solution....!

• 5 years later...

2004 Toyota RAV4.

It's very hard to reach the right front parking light bulb. The ABS unit is right behind the headlights. About 3 inches of space between the two. I was able to reach the parking light by going underneath through the wheel well cover. I just had to figure out how to remove the front side of the wheel well. Remove a 10mm screw on the bottom of the wheel well attached to the bumper, and remove 3 plastic clips. jack up the RAV4 and turn the wheel all the way to the left to give you more room and easier access. Reach inside and remove the cable. Use a 17mm deep socket to twist the parking light socket (learned this from another how to website) counter clockwise about a quarter turn. It's almost impossible to turn the tiny light socket without using the 17mm deep socket. My hands could not put enough torque on the tiny socket to twist it off (it's very tight). Just the reverse the process to put it back on. I'm glad I only have to do this every 10 years.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All,

not sure if someone else has already advised this but I found a quicker way to change the front RHS parking light by removing the front RHS wheel housing (just 4 screws) and then you get easy access to the park light as well as the windscreen washer bottle and pump - Hooray!!

• 4 years later...

For the right hand side all you need to do is remove the plactic iner wheelarch cover only one screw

and pull it down you can then get your hand in to replace the parking light bulb.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links