Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Airbox Restrictor

Jp-Auris

anyone tried to derestrict there airbox? on another forum someone was talking about butterfly valve in the airbox? so i asked if there is such a restrictor in the 4ZZ-FE engine, he said in the airbox the restrictor should feel like a letterbox gap and i did the checks and there is one.

so im might give it ago in derestricting the auris unless theres a reason i shouldnt due to technical problems...

anyone tried to derestrict there airbox? on another forum someone was talking about butterfly valve in the airbox? so i asked if there is such a restrictor in the 4ZZ-FE engine, he said in the airbox the restrictor should feel like a letterbox gap and i did the checks and there is one.

so im might give it ago in derestricting the auris unless theres a reason i shouldnt due to technical problems...

Why are you going to do that? Do you believe that there will be some positive effect? What do you mean with

the airbox? Is it the box with the air filter :huh:

Best regards, Alex

yes the airbox is the where the air filter is placed, be derestricting it can give a better engine response. although i have a K&N panel filter fitted i want to find out will this give me a even sharper engine response.

yes the airbox is the where the air filter is placed, be derestricting it can give a better engine response. although i have a K&N panel filter fitted i want to find out will this give me a even sharper engine response.

Ok thanks for the info, but what do you mean with derestricting? Will you have to remove some parts or what? I have a Apex'i Dual Funnel filter and the box removed, so I think I won't be able to try this? Even if I won't, it is still interesting to hear more about it!

Best regards, Alex

when you say you removed the box did you just remove the top part of the box?

No, not only the top. The whole box is removed, and now there is a custom-made

black metal support which keeps the airpipe on the needed height and still.

The air filter is connected to the end of that pipe.

auris17ss5.jpg

auris18ix5.jpg

Best regards, Alex

auris18ix5.jpg

you know the where the sensor is on the pipe, is that off the airbox? because i have the same sort of thing on mine but i dont think mine can disconnect off the airbox. if you know what im talking about?

auris18ix5.jpg

you know the where the sensor is on the pipe, is that off the airbox? because i have the same sort of thing on mine but i dont think mine can disconnect off the airbox. if you know what im talking about?

You mean the air sensor which measures how much air is needed to take in? It is outside the airbox, it's the plug which you can see on my picture: it has TOYOTA DENSO text on it and you can see small pink, brown and green wires coming to it.

Best regards, Alex

this is from my 1.4 d4d

PIC-0104.jpg

I think that here no funnel filter can be mounted because the sensor is stuck on the airbox

Is it on the airbox, or on the plastic pipe extension going TO the airbox? Seems like the sensor

is on the plastic pipe. If it is, you'll just need an extra extension part which you will connect to the

plastic part and to which you will connect the air filter.

I think it goes that way, same as in my car. Check it one more time carefully! :thumbsup:

Best regards, Alex

auris17ss5.jpg

auris18ix5.jpg

Best regards, Alex

Alex,

Having a cone filter directly in the engine bay, must, with the heat of the engine cause problems with heat soak, or does it never get that hot in Finland?

On other modified VAG vehicles I have always used Cold Air Intakes, where the filter is placed down behind the front bumper to ensure a supply of cold dense air.

its stuck on the airbox , if you remove the tube you dont have the sensor ....

PIC-0104-1.jpg

Okay, then it'll be more difficult to install custom filter. You can always saw

the part with the sensor off from the box, but then it will be in two pieces and

you won't be able to use the original box anymore. Don't see any other options :(

Alex,

Having a cone filter directly in the engine bay, must, with the heat of the engine cause problems with heat soak, or does it never get that hot in Finland?

On other modified VAG vehicles I have always used Cold Air Intakes, where the filter is placed down behind the front bumper to ensure a supply of cold dense air.

It's not very cold in Finland even now in winter, but still too cold :lol: What you're talking about the placing the filter in a cold place as far as possible from the engine is correct, almost.

In my car the filter is taken far enough from the engine, the distance is good because the installation is made just to get sporty air suction sound.

Placing the filter far from the engine down behind the front bumper is needed only if you're willing to gain some extra power. But to do that, custom filter isn't enough, you'll have to own a car with turbo engine. The more turbo engine gets cold air, the more power increase you'll be able to get. If we're talking about Auris with 1.6 petrol engine, we can forget conversations about power increase by using custom air filter ;) It's just not possible!

Best regards, Alex

PIC-0104-1.jpg

Okay, then it'll be more difficult to install custom filter. You can always saw

the part with the sensor off from the box, but then it will be in two pieces and

you won't be able to use the original box anymore. Don't see any other options :(

Alex,

It's not very cold in Finland even now in winter, but still too cold :lol: What you're talking about the placing the filter in a cold place as far as possible from the engine is correct, almost.

In my car the filter is taken far enough from the engine, the distance is good because the installation is made just to get sporty air suction sound.

Placing the filter far from the engine down behind the front bumper is needed only if you're willing to gain some extra power. But to do that, custom filter isn't enough, you'll have to own a car with turbo engine. The more turbo engine gets cold air, the more power increase you'll be able to get. If we're talking about Auris with 1.6 petrol engine, we can forget conversations about power increase by using custom air filter ;) It's just not possible!

Best regards, Alex

Alex,

Sorry mate, I assumed you had a turbo'd car, and having come from a modified turbo'd VAG car, I know all about the benefits of dense cold air when used with a turbo.

Just looking to see if anyone now makes a cai kit for the Sr180?

PIC-0104-1.jpg

hi, the airflow meter unscrews off the airbox by removing the 2 screws....

i fitted similar set up to my corolla t sport... the k&n kit came with a pipe and mounting point to fit the airflow meter in..

hope that helps. ;)

PIC-0104-1.jpg

hi, the airflow meter unscrews off the airbox by removing the 2 screws....

i fitted similar set up to my corolla t sport... the k&n kit came with a pipe and mounting point to fit the airflow meter in..

hope that helps. ;)

Well that should be helpful information. If the installation is possible, I can help by posting link to the K&N filter for 1.4 Auris. Don't know whether it's only for petrol engine or not... But it's for 1.4 at least! Hope that this helps too!

Best regards, Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Does the 2.0 Diesel suffer with the same butterfly? If so, then has anybody removed this? And does it have any real gains by doing so?

• 5 years later...

Hi, I was thinking about installing a cone filter for quite some time now on a 1.4D4D Auris (mostly for the noise :P) The main problem I am concerned about is that when I wash my car or drive it in the rain I find water on most of the engine bay cover, Airbox, fuse box etc. and was thinking, that if I would install a cone filter I would end up doing a mess beacuse the filter would absorb some of the water and suck it in and hence that mine is a diesel (as seeing from the picture your's is also) I would damage the engine pretty bad. I was thinking that in order to avoid doing damage I would install a K&N panel filter and hopefully having the same result regarding noise. Any thoughts or help ???

Thanks

Normally the new filter has a metal shroud to keep the heat off so that should also keep the rain off.

If you are handy with tools you could fashion one yourself.

I think Raistlin is talking about heatshield. Those are sold as an extra option not included with the filters I guess.

I don't mind doing one myself but the problem is tools and time. It would be cheaper for me just to buy one of the shelf. Will do a search on the net and see what i'll find. Do you know someone that has fitted one on his auris so maybe I could ask him from where he bought it ?

Thanks