Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Misfire/ Badly Running 2.0 Rav4

MvZ

Hey all,

I have a 1995, 3 Door 2.0l GX manual, bought in July this year. Great little off roader and hasnt missed a beat til this passed weekend. Firstly bad knocking noise from offside front turns out to be a coil spring snapped in half!!! Then a bad misfire,stumble on acceleration, that is worrying me a bit. The coil spring is easy enough to replace, but nothing wrong with the basics on the engine. Timing, plugs, leads, cap and rotor arm all seems fine. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

If you read my posts over the Xmas you will see I am not hot on maintenance....however, my 1996 GLX started to falter and misfire on acceleration earlier this year and I replaced the HT leads ( complete set) which certainly helped. The old ones seemed fine but presumably they start to degrade in some way or other. I think one of the answers to my recent problem (engine not firing at all) was to check the condition of the exhaust. I know from experience on other makes of car that poor exhausts can give running problems.

However, I am sure there are lots of other reasons why a misfire can occur so hopefully you will get some more suggestions before you spend any money.

Good Luck

Hey all,

I have a 1995, 3 Door 2.0l GX manual, bought in July this year. Great little off roader and hasnt missed a beat til this passed weekend. Firstly bad knocking noise from offside front turns out to be a coil spring snapped in half!!! Then a bad misfire,stumble on acceleration, that is worrying me a bit. The coil spring is easy enough to replace, but nothing wrong with the basics on the engine. Timing, plugs, leads, cap and rotor arm all seems fine. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Welcome to the club.

Have you checked the condenser or coil pack?

Yep also check the exhaust is intact.

Air filter clean?

Put a bit of redex through it and see if that clears any jets/injectors etc.

In terms of the spring. Don't forget they are usually a matched pair so you will be better off to replace both sides to keep stability.

Anchorman will probably have some thoughts around the misfire lok out for his posting.

check with your local Toyota garage as most of the 1995 RAVs had a recall to fit new springs as a manufacturing fault was found. They will tell you if your car falls within the range.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links