Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turns Over 3-4 Times Before Starting

aquaaddict

Hi All :-)

Just got an Avenis 1.8 ('99) to replace our otherwise perfect Corolla that got written off just before xmas :unsure:

Anyway I just serviced the Avensis 1.8 7A FE engine (non VVTi) and all seems well, except that it always turns over about 3 times before it fires, does this every time regardless of whether its hot, cold, just been run etc.

Sounds like it turns over at a normal speed, not sluggish. Done a compression test on all cylinders and they all came out about 120psi, so seem ok, plugs look ok etc.

Only done one long run it in it so far, but it seemed to drive ok with ok fuel economy etc.

So all in all seems to run fine except this slow to start business. On one hand I am tempted to just leave it on the basis that it does work, on the other I would like to know why it doesnt fire up quicker. Just wondering if it somthing like a non return valve in fuel line or similar, i.e. it take a few seconds to prime the fuel pressure, or does it do this when the ignition is turned on before it gets turned over?

Oh only other thing I have noticed is a screech at very high revs whislt driving (doesnt do when revving in neutral), which was hard to tell if it was a belt or a bearing, I am hoping it was a belt noise (although none seem worn or loose) and choosing to ignore it for now as it wont get driven at those revs and if its a bearing I couldn't afford to repair it! (plus I thinks it unlikley to be related to starting).

No engine warning light coming on whilst driving; I tried my laptop based OBD2 reader but it cant communicate with the Avensis, although it works fine on our Honda, so not sure if any codes stored.

Any thoughts?

thanks Anthony

Between us the wife and I have owned a total of 9 Toyotas (2 Avensis, 7 Corollas) over the past 20+ years, all petrol-engined, and I can honestly say that none of them have been absolutely brilliant at starting without having to churn on the starter for a few seconds. Generally though they were all better when stone cold.

So I assume that the starting/churning issue is just a Toyota characteristic. Then again, it could of course be my start-up technique.....?

However, we've also owned 2 Honda Civics during this time, both were superb starters first time every time, just a quick touch of the key required to fire up, hot or cold.

are you priming the engine before starting it ?

I have tried leaving the ignition on for a little while before turning it over, that makes no difference.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links