Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Avensis

Ben565

Well the new Avensis has already been panned by the motoring press for being dull and having no steering feel.

I noticed that Toyota are using an Electric Power Steering system. Just a thought but the amount of feedback / kickback through the wheel is electronicly damped / controlled, so in theory it ought to be possible to improve steering feel and feedback by just tweaking the software?

There must be some clever bods out there who could do just that, there's no shortage of choice when it comes to fiddling with the engine managment.

What would the motoring press know about steering feel?

The system is already dampened/adjusted through speed, you cant please all the people all of the time. I am sure it's fine for 99% of people, apart from motoring Journo's :angry:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I must be in the 1% minority of enthusiasts then :unsure:

Seriously though even on a sensible family car like the Avensis you should be able to get some feel through the wheel as to what the front wheels are up to, extreme example if you go over a sheet of black ice the steering should go light, not artificially compensate and tell you everythings ok. From a safety point of view if nothing else you should be able to feel whats going on.

I dont like the sound of this steering assist either which automaticly assists the steering in the event of a skid, I'm quite capable of dealing with it without any intervention on the cars part, I'm a bit skeptical on whether it does actually help or just corrupts the useful feedback you would otherwise get.

Having said that I havent driven it yet so I'm making no conclusions, the proof is in the pudding as they say and I will find out come March when I get one, I can't imagine it's any worse than the Vectra I currently have :)

Just an interesting technical discussion on whether it could be done.