Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris D4d 06

ciscodisco

I have recently purchased an 06 Yaris D4D new shape 29K and am finding the fuel consumption rather poor, 49 - 52 MPG is all I can manage on all types of journey, motorway,A class, mainly long journeys. Maybe I am expecting too much so I would like to hear other users MPG figures. Otherwise the car is excellent in every way.

Thanks in advance, Ian.

++++

Unless you're hypermiling (Accel slowly, capping speed at 60 etc) that's probably about right.

I just refuelled mine and by my reckoning I got about 58mpg, and this is with me trying to get a high mpg! (I only bought my Yaris recently and the novelty of the digital dash and fuel economy vs my crappy Fiesta still hasn't worn off :lol: )

I have had my D4D since June 08 and covered 11,000 miles of mainly longish runs at an average of 63 mpg. My figures are calculated using odometer mileage and actual fuel volumes required to brim the tank.

Cruising at 70-75 on motorways and A roads I get around 55-60mpg. Using the (aftermarket) cruise control and keeping to a steady 55 I can get 70-72 mpg. I find the best compromise is cruising at 60 when I get around 65mpg.

Factors such as tyre manufacturer and inflation pressure make a difference (I inflate my tyres to the 'fully loaded' pressure). Also, hilly terrain and headwinds knock fuel consumption quite markedly, presumably because of the relatively small capacity of the engine. If you check the instantaneous mpg display over an extended period you will see what I mean.

Recent short runs in cold winter weather have increased consumption to 54 mpg over a tank-full but this is included in calculating the overall figure mentioned above.

Hi Ian. I have a 2004 1.4d4d yaris and my last tank got me 74mpg with mostly 50mph and the occasional 70mph runs. As others have said, tyre pressure makes a difference although i'm beginning to think it doesn't affect diesels as much as petrol cars. I could be wrong though.

Wheel alignment could also be causing your loss of mpg so check your tyres for uneven wear. The cold weather will also knock the hell out of your mpg which is unavoidable. :(

Best of luck.

ollie

I have recently purchased an 06 Yaris D4D new shape 29K and am finding the fuel consumption rather poor, 49 - 52 MPG is all I can manage on all types of journey, motorway,A class, mainly long journeys. Maybe I am expecting too much so I would like to hear other users MPG figures. Otherwise the car is excellent in every way.

Thanks in advance, Ian.

++++

When was your car last serviced ?

Could be a dirty air filter that requires replacing.

Serviced 1000 miles ago with new air filter.Still poor MPG ( it might be cold weather) but in the meantime thanks for all your help and advice.

Ian.

Serviced 1000 miles ago with new air filter.Still poor MPG ( it might be cold weather) but in the meantime thanks for all your help and advice.

Ian.

Hi Ian

I think you are right that the cold weather could be affecting your consumption.

I filled my car to the brim tonight and working out the MPG over the last tankfull i only achieved 55 mpg; my average up to date has been 65 mpg. :unsure:

The car was last filled up two weeks ago-so the last tankfull has been used up mainly in cold weather.

PS:- To defrost my car in the mornings i have also been letting the car idle for approx 5 to 10 minutes at a time with the heaters on full to defrost it-this will also obviously affect the consumption.

Hope this extra helps.

John

Over the New Year I got my lowest ever mileage of 52.

Due to the cold weather and a lot of motorway driving at 70 to 80mph. Driving at 70 was giving 54, 80 was giving 51.

Driving at 60mphg seems to give around 60.

I have had my D4D since June 08 and covered 11,000 miles of mainly longish runs at an average of 63 mpg. My figures are calculated using odometer mileage and actual fuel volumes required to brim the tank.

Cruising at 70-75 on motorways and A roads I get around 55-60mpg. Using the (aftermarket) cruise control and keeping to a steady 55 I can get 70-72 mpg. I find the best compromise is cruising at 60 when I get around 65mpg.

Factors such as tyre manufacturer and inflation pressure make a difference (I inflate my tyres to the 'fully loaded' pressure). Also, hilly terrain and headwinds knock fuel consumption quite markedly, presumably because of the relatively small capacity of the engine. If you check the instantaneous mpg display over an extended period you will see what I mean.

Recent short runs in cold winter weather have increased consumption to 54 mpg over a tank-full but this is included in calculating the overall figure mentioned above.

Hi.

If you do'nt mind me asking - where did you get the aftermarket cruise control; what did cost to buy and fit?

Could be interested in buying and fitting one to my D4-D if "The Price is right" :lol:

John

Hi.

If you do'nt mind me asking - where did you get the aftermarket cruise control; what did cost to buy and fit?

Could be interested in buying and fitting one to my D4-D if "The Price is right" :lol:

John

My cruise control unit is a Gold Cruise AP800 and was supplied and fitted by Conrad Anderson www.conrad-anderson.co.uk 0121 247 0619. As far as I'm aware it interfaces directly with the car's electronics and does not have a separate actuator. In addition to the cruise unit, you will need a T-harness, clutch switch and stalk command module. The total cost was £510 inc VAT.

If you search the forum you will see that some owners have been able to get similar units fitted quite a lot cheaper than this. My experience with Conrad Anderson was that they could not have been more helpful and I would certainly use them again. I'd advise a sat nav to avoid getting lost, unless you know Birmingham well!

I'm getting 55 from mine but thats about 70 / 30 country road / motorway commuting. I get maybe 58 on a long motorway between 75 - 80mph. The best I've ever had is a run to from Sheffield to Norwich where I spent half the journey stuck behind a lorry doing 55mph, I got 62mpg then - frustrating as hell though

I don't generally drive for economy, or thrash the car either so I probably could improve my figures a bit.

I am getting betwen 510 and 550 miles to the tank.

Quite varied driving from towns to M ways.

But on the whole pretty steady. I dont hang arround but keep speeds under 80.

I put on the 15" alloys from the standard 14" alloys and this made a real change to the handling and general driving. Although no noticeable mileage difference.

I find in this weather, start engine and then scrape the screen and door glass, then drive off 3 mins max. Dont leave to idle its cold your cold so get going.

R

04 D4D

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, for all the advice and info. Since posting this the weather has improved considerably from around freezing to 9- 11 degrees C and guess what I am now getting a steady 65 MPG on the daily commute, so it looks like my Yaris likes the milder weather.

Can't wait for the summer. Perhaps 75 MPG here's hoping.

Again many thanks Ian.

++++

I get about 50mpg if i am not trying.

The yaris isn't that fuel efficient at Motorway speeds and that maybe why the new model has a 6speed box for a taller cruising gear!

Makes me think there's something wrong with mine then!

On a run at 70 - 75 best I achieve is 45mpg, and around town i've been getting a shocking 32mpg!

Hoping its because the engine has only done 2500 miles, and will loosen up over time... hopefully...

Over the last 3 years my 2003 Yaris diesel has averaged: 57mpg.

Mainly town driving.

Summer/winter/drive hard/soft makes little difference.

Air con on all the time.

Long runs? approx 62... very short journeys 52.

All calculated from miles and litres...

• 2 weeks later...

I have kept a record of fuel used and miles covered between fill ups since the car was new, (sad I know), over that 14 months it has done an average of 55mpg. The worst consumption has been 49 mpg, best 63mpg. The car has done 14,000 miles to date. Mainly motorway driving. I'm happy with that, it is better than my Smart ever did before the engine blew!

Hi.

If you don't mind me asking - where did you get the aftermarket cruise control; what did cost to buy and fit?

John

My cruise control unit is a Gold Cruise AP800 and was supplied and fitted by Conrad Anderson www.conrad-anderson.co.uk 0121 247 0619. As far as I'm aware it interfaces directly with the car's electronics and does not have a separate actuator. In addition to the cruise unit, you will need a T-harness, clutch switch and stalk command module. The total cost was £510 inc VAT.

If you search the forum you will see that some owners have been able to get similar units fitted quite a lot cheaper than this. My experience with Conrad Anderson was that they could not have been more helpful and I would certainly use them again. I'd advise a sat nav to avoid getting lost, unless you know Birmingham well!

Try Dave Newell from Telford

http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

He mainly does motorhome work but he fitted an AP8000 to my 2008 Yaris D4-D diesel engined car for £411 and made an excellent job of it. I must give home 100% for cost and workmanship.

As above his small industrial estate is not too easy to find so a sat nav will make life easier.

• 1 month later...
I have kept a record of fuel used and miles covered between fill ups since the car was new, (sad I know), over that 14 months it has done an average of 55mpg. The worst consumption has been 49 mpg, best 63mpg. The car has done 14,000 miles to date. Mainly motorway driving. I'm happy with that, it is better than my Smart ever did before the engine blew!

I dunno, mine does 55 mpg and I drive at 50mph pretty well everywhere. I find it farily disappointing given 2 litre Golfs and BMWs are doing 50 mpg