Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Else Been Called By Toyota For Ecu Upgrade

dave.m

Got left a message on my machine today from local dealer who supplied my Rav but wont ever be servicing it (ever).

They say Toyota are doing a campaign to upgrade computers (guess she mean't ECU's) and wanted to "get me

booked in ". I'm sure this was mentioned on here recently, but cant remember where. Anybody had this done ?

What was the problem ? Personally I cant see why it can't wait till the next service is due, but knowing this par-

ticular dealer I suspect its job creation time.

Anchorman did mention that his car has had an upgrade...

"They also did the ECM upgrade. I asked what it was for and they didn't know but guessed it may be to reduce the risk of EGR problems. It does seem to be running smooth but this is a very subjective comment."

If it's being done under warranty then it might be worth doing :)

If it's free of charge and under warranty it's hardly job creation as it will be costing the dealershipmoney in lost ramp time....

If you are uncertain or not happy with you dealer phone your next nearest dealer and explain that you have been approached for the upgrade and try and get booked in with them :)

If it's free of charge and under warranty it's hardly job creation as it will be costing the dealershipmoney in lost ramp time....

If you are uncertain or not happy with you dealer phone your next nearest dealer and explain that you have been approached for the upgrade and try and get booked in with them :)

Toyota will pay the Dealer for doing the work !!!

I can confirm that earlier RAV diesels (up until recent production) are having an ECM update. If they do not catch them on service or warranty they will contact the owners. I think shcm might have some further details (but not sure!). I'm also not sure if it affects D-CAT models but maybe a TSB will pop up.

Yeh here it is;

cat4mod.jpg

Affecting those with a CCO (not having D-CAT but a Catalytic COnverter) - up to XT5;

cat1mod.jpg

........and those with a D-CAT;

cat2mod.jpg

No rush as Oldsko01 says, it will be done FOC into 2011;

cat3mod.jpg

They did my T180 D-CAT under warranty when I took it in for servicing at the end of October 2008. It took about an hour to do.

When the upgrade is done you get this sticker (well, one like it) under the bonnet;

IMG_0032.jpg

They did my T180 D-CAT under warranty when I took it in for servicing at the end of October 2008. It took about an hour to do.

MarsKy

Did you notice any difference after the upgrade? And what year is your T180 as my dealer at the end of Dec 2008 said there was no upgrade available for my T180 which was pre registered about March 08

Thanks, Guy

Guess its a job for another dealer at next service then :thumbsup:

MarsKy

Did you notice any difference after the upgrade? And what year is your T180 as my dealer at the end of Dec 2008 said there was no upgrade available for my T180 which was pre registered about March 08

Thanks, Guy

My T180 is a 57 plate, registered 31 October 2007. It was Arnold Clark Toyota Bishopbriggs who did it. They offered it when I took my car in - I didn't know about it. But I just checked and don't have the sticker under the bonnet saying it's been done. But the service desk guy tried to offer an explanation about what the upgrade did - so it looks like they did make the effort. I'm getting some touch up paint tomorrow from Shields Toyota - I'll see if the upgrade is noted on the Toyota database all the dealers seem to have access to.

The car seems to run smoother, but the mpg might be lower - but that could be because it's running smoother I'm pushing it a bit more. I have a 300+ mile round trip to Aberdeen next week - I'll see whether I can get the 45 mpg I used to get.

I'm getting some touch up paint tomorrow from Shields Toyota - I'll see if the upgrade is noted on the Toyota database all the dealers seem to have access to.

Give them my regards mate, tell them I got their message, but I will be getting Arnold to do it at next service :lol::lol:

MarsKy

Thanks, Guy

If you take a look at Anchormans post, you will see a list of chassis number and model ranges. If a flash update is available on your car, it will be listed, if your car is before or after the relevent chassis number range, then your car is not affected. The update changes some settings for the injectors, it is not a recall, but something that will be done when you have your next service/dealer visit IF APPLICABLE. You will also see the sticker under the bonnet if the upgrade has been performed

Kingo :thumbsup:

Mine had its 20,000 mile service last month and they did mine while in. Told me afterwards and asked whether I had received a letter from Toyota (no was the reply).

I have to agree with the earlier T180 owner's comment in that I think I am getting a little less MPG. The instantaneous/average computer, whilst not entirely accurate does not show the same type of average no matter how I try since resetting!! - good job diesel is a bit less than it was!! :rolleyes:

Is it me or is the fuel consumption quite high? Like down to low 30s from low 40s???

My mate shcm keeps good records - any thoughts?

Hello All... :lol:

Is this only affecting the diesel engines??? :unsure:

Regards

Rob

B)

Hello All... :lol:

Is this only affecting the diesel engines??? :unsure:

Regards

Rob

B)

Yes, diesels only.

Mart.

Is it me or is the fuel consumption quite high? Like down to low 30s from low 40s???

My mate shcm keeps good records - any thoughts?

My EMS ECU s/w upgrade came about 2/3 through a tank. At this time of year, with my normal usage pattern, I'd only expect to be getting about 42 to 43mpg (45 to 46 in summer) calculated from the full tank method. I've since re-fueled and that tank came out at about 42.1 mpg (calculated not instrument pack reported). Reasonable as that tank was used in some very cold weather.

100 or so miles into the next tank and the on board mpg thingy is showing 45ish mpg, where I'd normally expect it to show something like 48 to 50.

There's been a number of TSBs (EGR clogging, momentarily sticking SCVs etc), that have involved ECU s/w changes. I'm just wondering whether they've also done something to tackle that high instrument pack mpg calc error a lot of us are seeing. The EMS ECU is almost certainly passing on what it thinks is the fuel injection volume figure to the instrument pack.

However, also have to consider NMaria's comments, who is very good at observing these things:

The difference between computer read outs and actual consumption is probably only marginal; the main difference is probably more geared to your mode of driving.

Errr, actually, the difference is around 8mpg - not so marginal. Or, even whackier, when it has just been serviced the difference is just a few mpg, but as the next 10,000 miles pass, the anomaly gradually increases to 8 or 9mpg. No, I am not making it up or figuring it out from vague notions as to how many miles I do before the fuel light comes on; I note the miles per tank on the trip meter and do the straightforward calculation - mileage/litres*4.54. Now someone will probably tell me to go back to school...

I agree that mode of driving makes an enormous difference! But that subject has been discussed ad tedium in this forum.

A EMS ECU re-flash could sort of constitute a service......and/or maybe there's some adaptive algorithm in there, which has an effect on the injection volume reported to the instrument pack. The algorithm's parameters stand a good chance of getting reset when the ECU gets re-programmed. i.e. the error goes back to being small, but then gradually grows again as the algorithm adapts.

All wild speculation at the moment, 'cause I don't think I have enough data yet with the new s/w, to come to any sort of conclusion. Will report back after a few more tank fulls.

Anchs - Would I be right in thinking a lot of your journeys are fairly short, without the engine getting up to full working temp? Just wondering whether your pack is now reporting something closer to your actual consumption, or have you actually calc'ed low 30s mpg on reasonably long journeys? :(.

Cheers

Yes - shortish journies and in cold weather but even so if I cancel the trip it soon settles back to low 30s where it seemed to always indicate low 40s. If they have corrected the trip then I will have to wait until the first fill and do it manually.

The trouble is that when something is changed you home in on it more and when the mod was done I cancelled the reading so maybe it was falling anyway due to the conditions.

It does seem very smooth since the mod but that is subjective and I don't like making such comments unless I can measure something.

Now then, my car is coming up in the next couple of months for its 2yr 20,000 service, however i doubt it will actually have done 10,000mls so does it need a big service, assuming 20000 is a big service :unsure: also it is chipped so will it still need this ECU upgrade? and if so will it make any difference :unsure: Something for Lindop to decide i suppose :thumbsup:

Stew

The 20k service is transmission oil so they will want to do it on age rather than mileage. I think its a good idea anyway. It should need brake fluid but I understand that is extra.

I don't think the chip will make a difference. All affected RAVs will get the upgrade.

• 1 month later...

had the ecu upgrade done enging seems smoother also fuel consumptions gone up frm low 30s 2 low 40s !

Stew

The 20k service is transmission oil so they will want to do it on age rather than mileage. I think its a good idea anyway. It should need brake fluid but I understand that is extra.

I don't think the chip will make a difference. All affected RAVs will get the upgrade.

Well Anchs got my Battery trickled at local Mr T alls well now, However asked them to do my ECU upgrade thought I'd better tell them my car is chipped, after much debate + sharp intakes of breath they decided not to do it as it may Damage my ECU, Damage my Chip, or Damage the engine, so phoned Lindop who said no problem they will do it + my brakes, which may need skimming (I'd prefer replacement) on my next service, they also said as its a 2yr/ 20,000 service (its done 9000mls) they can do a 2yr low mileage service :unsure: weren't sure of the price but between £150 + £200.. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links