• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 jeffrenee

jeffrenee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Toyota Model: 4 runner

Posted 19 January 2004 - 02:41 AM

My check engine light came on the other day while I was driving on the highway. I called a couple shops and they said check the gas cap. The gas cap was fine so I took my 2000 4 runner into the shop. Two visits, one new o2 sensor and $350 bucks later the CEL came on again after driving on the highway for about 15 minutes.

A lot of threads recommend cleaning the MAF. If that doesn't work anybody have any suggestions.

Oh yeah, the error code from the OBDCII was P0171 - System to Lean (Bank 1)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jeffrenee

jeffrenee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Toyota Model: 4 runner

Posted 01 February 2004 - 04:44 PM

I cleaned the MAF and cleared the light by pulling the Neg bat terminal. I drove for about 2 weeks including about 100 highway miles with no light and then it came on again the other day. I am also noticing poor gas mileage. I am going to replace the MAF and see if that clears the problem.

I am concerned because I am driving from Seattle to FLA in 3 weeks and don't want to see the CEL in the middle of BFN.

If anybody has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks;
Jeff

#3 MyV6Flys

MyV6Flys

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Toyota Model: Camry V6 XLE 1997 speed Auto

Posted 04 February 2004 - 01:00 PM

book show p0171 system adaptive fuel too lean.

So I would have to guess o2 or maybe a dirty fuel filter not letting enough get by, setting the fuel too lean.

Hope that helps??

#4 speedyts49

speedyts49

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Toyota Model: tacoma 2.4L 2wd manual

Posted 15 February 2004 - 01:50 AM

I recently had my check engine light come on so I bought a OBD 2 scanner and got the same code, P0171. I had recently changed back to a OEM air filter from a K&N and am thinking that may have had something to do with the lean code fault. Any thought on this?
Also I do not know what a MAF is and would like to know so that I might clean mine too just in case. :wacko:
tom
'96 tacoma 2wd 2.4L manual

#5 hydrae

hydrae

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Toyota Model: Corolla

Posted 15 February 2004 - 07:28 AM

I have a 2000 corolla and have MIL on with the code P0171. Any advice would be helpful.

1. I am first planning to add fuel additive to see if that helps.
2. If that doesn't help I am planning to clean/change Fuel pump/filter assy.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

#6 speedyts49

speedyts49

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Toyota Model: tacoma 2.4L 2wd manual

Posted 17 February 2004 - 01:13 AM

My fault was caused by a air leak when I knocked off a vaccum hose from the canester while replacing a heater hose. I heard the whoosh and found the lek.
Good luck!

#7 phasor

phasor

• Registered Member
  • 10 posts
  • Toyota Model: avalon

Posted 23 February 2004 - 08:03 PM

2000 Avalon

My Check Engine Light Came on while driving on the highway. The Toyota dealership said it was code P0171 -- Fuel Too Lean. The technician was a nice guy and he explained to me that the service manual lists a number of things but based on his experience he would narrow it down to A/F sensors. There are two sensors in the vehicle Bank 1 & Bank 2 Sensors. We drove around and recorded the voltages for the sensors -- 3.0 Volts during idle, above 3.8 Volts accelerating above 2500 RPM, below 2.5 Volts while driving above 25 MPH and tapping the gas. The readings were not consistent all the time between the sensors. We couldnot isolate between the sensors and I did not want him to guess. Each sensor costs approx. $300 and I can't afford to replace them both. So, I had him clear the code for $25.00 and so far the CEL has not come back (I have only driven approximately 100 Miles). Does an avalon have a MAF sensor, is that cheaper to replace? The service manual at the dealership did not mention any such sensor.

#8 MyV6Flys

MyV6Flys

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Toyota Model: Camry V6 XLE 1997 speed Auto

Posted 24 February 2004 - 07:58 AM

1997-1999 Avalons do, so I would guess yours does. It sends information to the computer about air coming into the motor. If it is sending wrong info it could be it.....I'm not saying I believe it's it, just that it could be.

#9 phasor

phasor

• Registered Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:55 PM

Just as an update, I have driven 500 Miles since clearing the CEL light and it has not come back on yet. I have not changed any sensors. Could the CEL be a fluke? :unsure:

#10 phasor

phasor

• Registered Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 01:51 PM

MY CEL came on last saturday (650 miles later). The DRB at Autozone indicates it as P0171 (as expected). Looks like I will have to change the A/F sensors. Any suggestions are appreciated. :unsure:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users