Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Engine Noise Is On You Tube!

rambler

hi folks

well ive done it,ive managed...somehow to put a recording of my weird diesel engine noise on you tube, type in 'rav4 noise' and hopefully you can find it,i have put a small pic of engine bay.

please listen carefully as it is a little quiet

the video lasts 1 min 15secs,and 'noise' happens s few times,i really hope you folks can view and hear it,as i aint much good with computers.

please look hard for it......thank you

i look forward to your comments....as this is so frustrating trying to find out what is causing it

I wondered if it would sound like that. :rolleyes:

Can't tell you what it is but my 4.2 used to do it too and that never missed a beat.

Possibly it tended to do it more in cold weather, but not absolutely sure about that.

I recorded it for the dealer (even subtracted the engine noise for them from the recording) but they didn't have a clue either.

With so many valves and actuators, I put it down to one of those, but never found out what exactly.

TBH, occasionally I think I can here it briefly from the 4.3 as well, only much much quieter. Or perhaps it is just the ghostly spirit remains of my old 4.2 :lol:

Would be interested to know what it is too :thumbsup:

That's the EXACT same noise as on my Rav! I've been bothered with this as long as I've owned it, and it drives me insane!

The dealer never found out about it, even though we've told them every time the car has been serviced... What could it possibly be?

I'm so glad you posted that, same as mine but probably a little louder. I was starting to think the noises were in my head :huh:

Anchorman ???

I'm so glad you posted that, same as mine but probably a little louder. I was starting to think the noises were in my head :huh:

Anchorman ???

Is the air con on or off? Sounds like the compressor cutting in.

(sorry, been very busy lately and not much time to look in)

TBH, occasionally I think I can here it briefly from the 4.3 as well, only much much quieter. Or perhaps it is just the ghostly spirit remains of my old 4.2 :lol:

Would be interested to know what it is too :thumbsup:

Yep I've heard it a few times at tickover as well, I would say its more of a howl than a squeek/screech.

That makes me think its not belt/serpentine belt related.

hi anchorman

air con off (rarely use it ,even in summer) as takes to much power away from engine

Okay, I've spent £1020 on a clutch and DMF, managed to recently do £300 worth of damage to the back of my rav4 and lately that exact sound has been driving me to distraction!

So much so I was thinking of getting shut as the thought of any more expense is too much to take!

Doesn't happen all the time, can't really be provoked either, seems to happen when changing from 1st to 2nd gear and sometimes when turning slightly. I thought one of the serpentine belts was slipping, have adjusted the power steering belt with absolutely no difference better or worse, cleaned both belts and applied belt dressing, which makes them slip for a while until it is spread evenly and that's a definite slipping sound, so maybe the odd noise isn't a slipping belt?

Will be watching this thread avidly for a possible cause!

I take some comfort that I ain't on my own and others have lived with it all ownership!

Regards Dave.

hi anchorman

air con off (rarely use it ,even in summer) as takes to much power away from engine

Very carefully slacken the radiator cap (so it relieves the pressure) and try again.

hi street moto

oh dear ,have you spent all that money trying to solve the 'noise'

i kind of hoped members would view the video,and responce would be 'mine does that'

seems its quite a big issue with mk2 rav d4d engines.

seems anchorman may be the man to ask

but as most of us say,engine has never missed a beat in years,and miles & miles,good as gold

Out of circulation until at least tomorrow evening now chaps.

Cheers.

Just a thought but does the belt tensioner maintain a locked pressure on the belt or is it on spring tension ?

I havn't checked the Toyota tech docs or even looked at the belt set up but on industrial belts the belt does 90% of its stretching in the 1st hour of use and needs re tensioning after this time.

Or so I'm told by the the mechanical guys I work with :huh:

Hi Rambler, no, haven't spent that dosh on trying to get shut of the noise, clutch went not long after buying car, had a bump on Boxing Day and the noise has just been there on and off since I got it.

Just a thought but does the belt tensioner maintain a locked pressure on the belt or is it on spring tension ?

I havn't checked the Toyota tech docs or even looked at the belt set up but on industrial belts the belt does 90% of its stretching in the 1st hour of use and needs re tensioning after this time.

The alternator belt as I understand it is tensioned by a sprung tensioner with no adjustment and the power steering belt is an adjustable locked pressure type. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will let me know!

Regards Dave

i have an o4 d4d it has made this noise on and off from new.

i find it is more common after a fast run ie driving down the motorway it's fine but pull in to a service area a the noise starts as you drop to idle.

The tension on the belt varies significantly depending upon engine load and throttle position and for this reason the risk of using a spring loaded tensioner would be too great. The tension is usually set with a new belt and if done correctly caters for the stretching of the belt in service. However, to allow repairs to be done the manual gives 2 tensions, one for a new and one for an old belt but the tensioner is locked firmly in position.

Just listening to the belt it sounds like whatever is causing the noise is cycling as the engine idles. The things that can cycle are;

aircon (which you said is switched off)

Water pressure (regulated by the pressure cap

Battery voltage (as the regulator cuts in and out)

EGR (which is controlled by an electro pneumatic valve)

These all need to be isolated to take them out of the equation but they also need to be done individually to identify the cause. So! it means slackening the pressure off the cooling system (but don't scald yourself). Remove the alternator belt and run the engine without the alternator and finally disable the EGR valve which may put a warning light on but that can be sorted by disconnecting the Battery afterwards.

If all that fails then the surgery gets more serious. Those kind of noises can come from harmonic vibrations. This is produced when the frequency of two noises or vibrations overlap each other and are amplified. The timing belt is matched to the pulleys but the relative positions of the teeth only match every so many revolutions and maybe some wear in a bearing inside the cover is allowing just the right amount of play to promote the noise. However, we now know that there are lots of examples of this noise so I would prefer to check out those things above before I started tearing things apart.

Its up to you on how you want to proceed but there are a few things to think about.

Cheers

Just listening to the belt it sounds like whatever is causing the noise is cycling as the engine idles. The things that can cycle are;

aircon (which you said is switched off)

Water pressure (regulated by the pressure cap

Battery voltage (as the regulator cuts in and out)

EGR (which is controlled by an electro pneumatic valve)

These all need to be isolated to take them out of the equation but they also need to be done individually to identify the cause.

What about the thermostat? I'm assuming the D4D has a thermostat in the cooling system? To me the sound resembles some type of valve opening and closing. I've heard something similar when shutting a car off as the refrigerant pressure in the aircon equalizes.

Have you tried putting the steering over in full lock on tickover to see if it is the PS pump going into relief?

hi ,no unfortunatly the noise seems to to be assocciated with quite a few d4d owners accross the country.

maybe even world wide,toyota beleive it to be 'water pumps' under 'belt stress'.

i believe the power steering pump is at the front l/h side of engine bay,but this noise according to anchorman comes from the 'serpentine' belt,one of the major belts on the engine.

i believe him,and may shortly be contacting toyota head office customer services about these so far and as yet unsolved 'noises' my rav makes.

Have you tried putting the steering over in full lock on tickover to see if it is the PS pump going into relief?

hi ,no unfortunatly the noise seems to to be assocciated with quite a few d4d owners accross the country.

maybe even world wide,toyota beleive it to be 'water pumps' under 'belt stress'.

i believe the power steering pump is at the front l/h side of engine bay,but this noise according to anchorman comes from the 'serpentine' belt,one of the major belts on the engine.

i believe him,and may shortly be contacting toyota head office customer services about these so far and as yet unsolved 'noises' my rav makes.

Both the timing belt and the serpentine belt are down that side of the engine. The serpentine belt is under constant spring pressure from a tensioning pulley so although they are capable of making a real racket of a squeal or squeak I don't think it would cause that resonating. The timing belt (which drives the water pump) does have a fixed tensioner and so the belt could get to a level of tension that could cause it to resonate. The question is why it only does it intermittently.

The fact is you have 2 different noises and in getting to the timing cover the serpentine will have to come off. The chances are they will change both belts and the water pump and we won't get to know what caused it if they cure it by doing these.

All the best.

The chances are they will change both belts and the water pump and we won't get to know what caused it if they cure it by doing these.

All the best.

Which is exactly when mine started to make the noise :huh:

The chances are they will change both belts and the water pump and we won't get to know what caused it if they cure it by doing these.

All the best.

Which is exactly when mine started to make the noise :huh:

Sounds like they made a bggr of it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links