Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery Issue

Fry-Up

Hey guys, i've had a minor issue with my Battery, minor as i've been able to put up with it for a good few months, with it only gettin worse in cold temperatures, and apparently we are due 'arctic' like wether next week, so i better be safe than screwed, lol

basically my car Battery is slowly draining when the car is off, when the car is running it charges back up and holds charge fine and i can be driving all day, so i don't think the fault lies with the alternator (thats my logical view only, so i could be wrong) and I have checked nothing is left on, theres a dry light coloured residue formed next to one of my terminals, I suspect the Battery is just at the end of its life now

if this is the case, whats a decent battery thats not expensive?

Cheers

If the Battery is charging up when the car is running, then the alternator is working to some extent.

Winter is a killer for batteries though, you've got the lights on all the time, radio/CD, heaters etc, so the power drain is considerably more this time of year. If you only travel in 15-20 minute hops to work and back then the Battery will never get fully charged. Try cleaning the terminals with wet and dry paper though - a dodgy contact here can cause problems. Also check the Battery ( if it's an openable one ) to make sure it's topped up fully with distilled water/battery acid - a shortfall here will mean the battery doesn't perform to it's potential.

I'd try these 2 things before biting the bullet and shelling out on a new battery.

( this is all assuming you don't have an electrical fault putting a slow drain on the battery - aftermarket alarms tend to do this when they develop a fault ! )

well i have had the car for 2 and a half years, and i remember the first winter it was a cold one, but it was fine, it only started when the first cold spell hit us i think november, I dunno anythin about batteries so i'll google distilled water and Battery acid levels

cheers

edit: if i leave it for a full day it doesn't like starting, but just about manages to, so i know as it is i'm gonna have problems with more cold weather

Makro batteries are cheap (half the price of halfords) and have a 3 year guarantee.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a shot of the top of my Battery, with something powdery accumilating on the top, and my Battery isn't lasting over a day now lol, can ~I fix the Battery or shud I just take the easier route of replacing it, i've also been told that Toyota may well be cheaper than Halfrauds anyway...?

post-66667-1234440698_thumb.jpg

If the Battery is older than 3 years and not holding its charge then it is probably time to get a new one. Even if you can top up the water level you will be diluting the acid in there even more than is has been over its 3 year life. A Battery that does not hold its charge will make the alternator work harder to try and keep the charge level up. So what you end up with is a dead Battery and the need for a new alternator.

If you have a garage you could put an external charger on the battery overnight, so you have a full charge when you start up in the morning, but you are just putting off the inevitable need to get a new battery.

This is a shot of the top of my battery, with something powdery accumilating on the top, and my battery isn't lasting over a day now lol, can ~I fix the battery or shud I just take the easier route of replacing it, i've also been told that Toyota may well be cheaper than Halfrauds anyway...?

post-66667-1234440698_thumb.jpg

You can clean of the gunk with boiling water and baking soda, wear safety glasses as it is acidic.

Clean all the contacts back to bright metal, tighten up and then coat all the contacts with Vaseline or grease but if this does not help then a new Battery is called for :( , short journeys kill the cell by causing local action (A continuation of current flow within a Battery cell when there is no external load) which in turn prevents charging.

cheers for that, the terminals are well greased and protected too, I don't get a lot of chance to do many long journeys which i'm sure is the reason its dying, but i'll have to fit some in, is a new Battery expensive then? can anyone recommend any good value batteries?

cheers for that, the terminals are well greased and protected too, I don't get a lot of chance to do many long journeys which i'm sure is the reason its dying, but i'll have to fit some in, is a new battery expensive then? can anyone recommend any good value batteries?

Cheap doesn't = good!

I think your best bet is to hunt around for one of the top quality ones at the lowest price you can find :thumbsup:

It is a while ago, but I think I paid about Euro60-70 For a fairly heavy duty one for my (ex) Kangoo diesel van

If you have a costco near you and have/can get your hands on card then I would recomend to go there for a Battery. Ususally have Bosch silvers in for about £50-£60

Also might be worth looking at the alternator and if you are googleing stuff have a look for Battery de sulphiificaters as these help keep the Battery in condition.

My local costco I think is also your local Costco, have no card tho, lol, I got one from toyota for £58.38 inc VAT yesterday, means I can't take my girly out 2moro nite now tho :(

I got one from toyota for £58.38 inc VAT yesterday, means I can't take my girly out 2moro nite now tho :(

You stop and home and I'll take her out for you ;) I WILL be back late, don't wait up :naughty:

Kingo :thumbsup:

mine is ace!

have the interior light on and the indicators dim it, the powersteering dims it, the city drive button is even worse, the wipers dim it, and the other day in t'snow it nearlly didn't start!

least your cars weren't made in Italy :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links