Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement Starter Motor - Beware

Jemmo

I got a replacement starter motor off eBay back in June last year from Alternator & Starter Motors UK - Seller Id is desm1978.

Anyways, it has gone faulty and although the part had a 12 month warranty, the guy has so far not replied to email contact.

So, if you need a new starter motor, think twice before buying off this guy.

Anyone know of a reliable source of recon parts?

I would suggest you contact eBay Customer Support. Although they would not help you to get a refund after this amount of time has passed you can request to get the seller's phone number, so you can at least contact him by phone.

Hi,

Are you sure the starter motor is faulty & not the ignition switch that is faulty? Try starting the engine & wiggling the key in the ignition lock. If it starts, it is probably the ignition switch, which costs between £ 40 to £70 I have found, depending on the model.

Check out this post http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...rt=#entry753617

Hope this helps,

Marama32

I'm pretty certain it's the starter motor.

When I turn the key, 9 times out of 10 there will be a fast grating noise. Just like the noise I had when the original motor failed.

When I took that out the dog teeth had disintegrated.

It will usually try to fire up between these bursts of grating noise.

To Jemmo,

Use your feedback to blacken his name, if you have not left feedback already. I wonder is he one of these people who have nearly 100% positive feedback, due to the fact they will not

post feedback until you have praised him. Just a thought.

Best place to buy parts is your local motor factor if they will sell to public? Other than that, try and use same car parts shop all the time, you should start to get a bit of discount when they get to know you.

Regards, Beagh.

To jemmo,

From memory the back of your ignition switch has round disc that accepts ignition wiring, these sometimes play up. Also, have you checked your flywheel ring-gear for damage whilst starter-motor was out of the vehicle? You might have a couple of sections with damaged teeth, this will not allow starter to spin flywheel, instead a grindig noise or clicking solenoid may occur.

Regards, Beagh.

Okay - the guy has got back to me with the offer of;

Buy a replacement, send the old one back, they test it and if faulty do a refund

Send the old one back, if faulty they send a replacement, if not, they send the 'faulty' unit back.

Both offers are fair so no, I'm not going to blacken the guy's reputation.

have you checked your flywheel ring-gear for damage whilst starter-motor was out of the vehicle?

As the replacement has failed in only 6 months I was beginning to wonder whether it was something in there that was causing the failure - a bit of the old dog teeth perhaps leftover from the previous failure? But how would I check and get it out - engine out job?

How would I check damage to the flywheel?

This sounds like a job for a proper mechanic.

So the burning question is, do I get a new one first, and do I get it from the same guy?

I must admit when it was first fitted it was a smooth and quiet as anything and was please as the proverbial Punch.

To jemmo,

From memory the back of your ignition switch has round disc that accepts ignition wiring, these sometimes play up. Also, have you checked your flywheel ring-gear for damage whilst starter-motor was out of the vehicle? You might have a couple of sections with damaged teeth, this will not allow starter to spin flywheel, instead a grindig noise or clicking solenoid may occur.

Regards, Beagh.

If you have had 2 starter motors eat the pinion teeth, chances are that you have a problem with the ring gear as Beagh suggests.

You need to get a visual on the ring gear teeth through the starter hole, you may need an inspection mirror similar to a dentist's mirror to see.

If you have had 2 starter motors eat the pinion teeth

Well the last one I took out it was the ceramic dog on the starter motor that was shot to pieces.

How big is the ring gear that you mention.

I'm just wondering how long it's going to take to check using a mirror, and how do I get it to turn?

If you have had 2 starter motors eat the pinion teeth

Well the last one I took out it was the ceramic dog on the starter motor that was shot to pieces.

How big is the ring gear that you mention.

I'm just wondering how long it's going to take to check using a mirror, and how do I get it to turn?

The ring gear goes around the flywheel and is the mate to the starter pinion, roughly 12 inch diameter? possibly bigger. (its just like a set of teeth all the way around it)

Turn the engine with a socket on the front pulley (the opposite end of the crankshaft to the ring gear) and if you remove the spark plugs it will make it a lot easier to turn. Should only take 5 minutes or so to check once access is gained and the plugs removed. Probably need a light of some sort too.

P.S. Check that the starter motor has the correct number of teeth on the pinion for your vehicle.

P.S. Check that the starter motor has the correct number of teeth on the pinion for your vehicle.

My life! How do I find that out?

My life! How do I find that out?

Well, initially you should have checked against the original when you first changed it (by physically counting them) but as you now only have the replacement one, I'm not sure exactly where you will find the info. Sometimes the same starter is used on different applications and the only difference is the pinion.

Chances are, it is correct so it's just a precaution. If the starter is listed for your vehicle,it should be correct but sometimes mistakes occur.

Well, initially you should have checked against the original when you first changed it (by physically counting them)

I see. Well in that case I was ****** in the wind as it was the dog on the original that failed and came out of the starter motor case in bits and pieces.

Sod's law!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have just had the s/motor out and the cog teeth look okay.

So I went to fit the new one to see if it resolved the problem but when I fitted the trigger spade terminal it just would not connect.

When I got it out and checked it it appears the spade terminal has been bent up and is pinched in the casing! Looks like a problem in assembly.

So I got to get a refund!

In the meantime I'm thinking of taking it to Toyota and get it on the diagnostics - see what they reckon.

Damned cars!

To Jemmo,

I'm not knocking eBay, as i use eBay to buy tools & certain other items. Trouble is its all based on trust which is good, the only problem is if you have a problem your sending parts backwards & forwards which can be a real pain time wise.

If your going to do general repairs on your car, your better of getting to know a good motor factor who 90% of the time will have part on his shelf. Also he will have masses of parts books & will know exactly which part is correct for your car.

Regards, Beagh.

To Jemmo,

I'm not knocking ebay, as i use ebay to buy tools & certain other items. Trouble is its all based on trust which is good, the only problem is if you have a problem your sending parts backwards & forwards which can be a real pain time wise.

If your going to do general repairs on your car, your better of getting to know a good motor factor who 90% of the time will have part on his shelf. Also he will have masses of parts books & will know exactly which part is correct for your car.

Regards, Beagh.

Yes but fortunately, I don't do that many repairs. Even the local Halfords doesn't stock the right spark plugs. And the nearest Toyota dealer is a hike.

The eBay seller is quite local and I have emailed him already. Within 10 minutes he was back to me agreeing a refund. It's not like he had a spare one lying around, recon motors is what the business is. I don't mind eBay if it looks like a reputable seller and the price is right. But yes the time factor is a bit of a nuisance.

• 1 month later...

Update: After a bit of email tennis the seller reckons the starter motor is good. Even when I point out that the car was having problems starting with the motor he sold me, and that the Toyota dealer said it sounded 'lazy', but a different refurbished motor starts the car no problem.

First of all he said he couldn't find the motor I returned, and eventually he tracked it down and says that because it tested okay he will have to get someone to take it apart, test the components and get back to me. That was over a month ago and I've heard diddly squat. I get the impression he will always deny his motors are a bit duff.

So I won't be buying off him again.

And just to confirm, his eBay user id is desm1978, and he trades as Manchester Auto Electrical.

So just beware.

To Jemmo,

I had assumed this to be a dead thread & problem sorted?

Just one QUESTION. Is he a power seller with 99.8% positive feedback & has as eBay allow automated feedback ie: you get positive feedback when seller receives positive feedback from you first, just a thought.

Regards, Beagh.

Yes problem sorted by a replacement starter motor.

I didn't put an update on because of the email tennis waiting for the final outcome....

And yes he is a Power Seller.