Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Member Looking For Advice On (56 Plate) Avensis 2.2 D-4d T-spirit

Dazmatazz

Hi there, just after some advice and information (owner experience ect) on this car Avensis 2.2 D-4D T-Spirit.Its on a 56 plate and got 24,000 on the clock.

Would you reccomend this as a decent family car, i also have to travel 70 miles a day (total milage) to and from work :angry: .

So is it as economical as suggested ?

All opinions, experiences and advice welcomed.

Regards

Daz

I have a new 2.2 D4D T-Spirit and it does indeed make an excellent family car. I have young granchildren and all their gear fits in the boot with no trouble. The seats are comfy for long trips. I do about 15k a year and the Avensis is a comfortable place to be.

Downside is the fuel consumption which is not as good as the VW 2.0 tdi which I had in an Octavia Elegance and heater takes a long time to warm up, particularly in this weather. Climate control is a bit wayward as well.

On balance defintely worth considering but I would try something from the VW group with the 2 litre diesel as well. The Octavia has a huge boot.

Hi Daz,

I have 2 Avensi 06 2.2 D4D's. One tourer and a hatch for the wife.

I am a family man myself with a 2 year old and one more on the way. We can travel 3 hours up the road to see the wife's folks with everything incl 3 wheeler buggies, travel cots, clothes, toys - you know what i mean - traveling circus. To be fair, this is in the tourer, but then that's just habit cos its mine and I do the driving... I am sure with some similar packing arangements I could do the same in the hatch.

Driving is always pleasureable, comfortable, quiet, relaxed, got the poke when you need it for overtaking, got the stability control if you need it, one of the best accident ratings if you need it (hopefully never), huge rear seat leg room should you need to give some bulky rugby player a lift, reasonable fuel economy. I feel really happy knowing my wife and kids are in a pretty solid car if things went wrong - 9 airbags and 5 a star rating.

My economy is 38mpg winter and 44mpg summer on a total 25mile work to/from cycle - so not really much out of the cold cycle before switching off. You should get better being a longer cycle. On the 3 hour trip up the A9, I can average about 50mpg. One summer I even averaged 78mpg on 15 miles of freeway just after I filled up with fuel! I even took a photo of it I was that impressed... sadly, that tank went on to average its usual 44-46mpg.

All in I think the car is huge internally, has a nice presence externally, good economy, excellent reliability, reasonable service costs and very safe. I've never looked back since getting both of mine.

Also, I used to own a 94 Celica (coupe) before the kids, and I find a lot of things that I like about that are still to be found in the Avensis - like power, accelleration, tight gearboxes, solid feel. The only thing I miss about my Celica is the fabby aftermarket stereo I installed and the beutiful shape on the car. Oh, and for it being a 14 year old car when I sold it, it cost me very little to own - so far the Avensis continues that tradition (eg 30k service was £135 incl collect/return and courtesy car)

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Regards

Shaun

Hi there, just after some advice and information (owner experience ect) on this car Avensis 2.2 D-4D T-Spirit.Its on a 56 plate and got 24,000 on the clock.

Would you reccomend this as a decent family car, i also have to travel 70 miles a day (total milage) to and from work :angry: .

Regards

Daz

Not as economical as a vw but the upside is you will have no flywheel or timing belt problems. one tip though, to get good mileage stay in the gears longer before you change up. you can safely stay in 3rd until 40mph before changing and same in 4th etc. enjoy it is a fast enough car and i taxi usually with a full load.

24,000 miles how much are you paying??? £8-10,000.

Hi there, thank's for all the replies.

I collect the car tomorrow, it was on the forecourt for £8999 and i managed to get it for £7750.On top of that i got 12 month's road tax, a year's MOT (it needed it's 1st one in July) 4 month's manufacturer's warranty and 14 month's Toyota approved used warranty and some new Avensis carpet mats. As well as all the other stuff that comes with buying 'Approved used' from a main dealer.

It has also had the facelift with the new grille and indicators in the mirrors ect.

The only thing it doesn't have is the new sat nav, it is the one on the dash. Is this actually anygood as it looks quite dated ? (i didn't use it on my test drive although it does work.)

It has only had one owner and is absolutley mint.

Also, do you think i got a good deal ?

Regards

Daz

sounds like a pretty decent deal to me.

I have a new 2.2 D4D T-Spirit and it does indeed make an excellent family car. I have young granchildren and all their gear fits in the boot with no trouble. The seats are comfy for long trips. I do about 15k a year and the Avensis is a comfortable place to be.

Downside is the fuel consumption which is not as good as the VW 2.0 tdi which I had in an Octavia Elegance and heater takes a long time to warm up, particularly in this weather. Climate control is a bit wayward as well.

On balance defintely worth considering but I would try something from the VW group with the 2 litre diesel as well. The Octavia has a huge boot.

WRONG! stay away from the new 2.0 Diesel VW'S there have been loads of problems on the Passat and hardly any Taxi Drivers use them in Sheffield now, the electronic HB switch fails often too. IMO Avensis is a sensible buy but regrettably it to has deteriorated in reliability, there have been a lot more cases of problems with Taxi's.

Regards

Daz

Not as economical as a vw but the upside is you will have no flywheel or timing belt problems. one tip though, to get good mileage stay in the gears longer before you change up. you can safely stay in 3rd until 40mph before changing and same in 4th etc. enjoy it is a fast enough car and i taxi usually with a full load.

I've know alot of people that have suffered with the duel-mass flywheel and have even had solid ones fitted back on to stop it failing in the future, it's a hell of a job and costly if it goes, generally it's like it on most cars now.

I drive a Mondeo (the new shape) but i'm gonna revert back to a Honda Accord tourer soon, although this new Mondeo is a cracker of a car the Honda's reliability and build quality shines through.

Not relevant to this thread any more but I am surprised at your comments. Not a fault I was aware of but my Octavia did 60k in 4 years with no problems at all. Now being run by a colleague who bought it from me and and yet again, no trouble at all and average over 60!!! mpg

Not relevant to this thread any more but I am surprised at your comments. Not a fault I was aware of but my Octavia did 60k in 4 years with no problems at all. Now being run by a colleague who bought it from me and and yet again, no trouble at all and average over 60!!! mpg

Actually i was referring to the new 2 litre VW engine was the Octavia that one? wouldn't of thought so.

Actually i was referring to the new 2 litre VW engine was the Octavia that one? wouldn't of thought so.

The very same! the PD 140 has been around since 2004 at least.

The very same! the PD 140 has been around since 2004 at least.

there's a new version of the VW 2.0 litre & I'm pretty certain that the Skoda doesn't have it (yet, no doubt given time it will).

• 1 month later...

The Octavia's robustness is now doomed as it will be released with the new common rail engine in a month or 2.