Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting Prolems

contractor130

Hi all I have an Avensis 1998 1.8 GLS (inter-galactic mileage) that seems to need to be cranked over a few times to get it started during everyday use.

You should see the faces of some of my passengers the look of relief when the engine eventually fires up.

However if the car is left for a few days, no matter what the weather conditions it starts perfectly first touch of the key.

It gives me confidence that there cannot be much wrong with the car being as it always manages to start.

But surely with everyday use it should start better with every day use, than when it is left for a few days?

Can anyone help with a cheap fix to my starting problem?

Hi all I have an Avensis 1998 1.8 GLS (inter-galactic mileage) that seems to need to be cranked over a few times to get it started during everyday use.

You should see the faces of some of my passengers the look of relief when the engine eventually fires up.

However if the car is left for a few days, no matter what the weather conditions it starts perfectly first touch of the key.

It gives me confidence that there cannot be much wrong with the car being as it always manages to start.

But surely with everyday use it should start better with every day use, than when it is left for a few days?

Can anyone help with a cheap fix to my starting problem?

hello

is yr car equipped with computer as self tested?

i have been suffered frm the similar issue connected with error belong to spark plugs signal from ECU.

The symptons look the same but only when hot started.

I only see two problems of yours as ECU error + accumulator Battery.

Wait for another posts on here.

Cheers/Igor

Are you saying it's just hard to crack or is it like dead when you turn the ingnition key? Current on, dashboard on, but no reaction from the starter engine?

Same question as above...

Read this tutorial:

Changing ignitionswitch

(http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44971)

I've had the same problem; ignition works, everything acts as normal, radio works, but nothing happens on the last turn of the key.

In my case, it was the backend of the switch that was worn out.

Not sure what he means. I just asked, because i had problems with some lock or connection to the starter engine. As did my brother, so not uncommon for Gen. 1 Avensis. However if the engine actually cranks, but has a hard time starting up, it's something intirely different, like fuel supply or ingnition trouble

I'm not too sure either....

From his story, I should say that it's the ignition switch.

Everything works but you get nothing or occationally clikcs when you're supposed to here the starter instead..

Then on 3, 4 or even 20'th attempt it starts as nothing has happened.

Everything works but you get nothing or occationally clikcs when you're supposed to here the starter instead..

I presumed that it was cranking over but not firing.

Quoting his first line " seems to need to be cranked over a few times to get it started during everyday use."

Sounds like same problem that i had. Mechanic said it was some kind of lock, but not excactly sure what he meant. Whatever the reason, the starter engine didn't engage. At first it was only once in a while. Then it got more frequent and i had to try a couple of times. Just before having it fixed, it was common to try 15 or 20 times to get any response. As i said, my brother had the same problem. Same kind of car, same year, only not same engine. Mine is 3S-FE, his is 7A-FE

Quoting his first line " seems to need to be cranked over a few times to get it started during everyday use."

Yes. If that's the case, it's something else. Ingnition, fuel supply or something like that. Too much fuel at startup maybe, drowning the engine. If it was bad sparkplugs or something else related to ingnition, he should suffer powerreduction as well

Ahh.. yes of course. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply's. The engine does turn over just takes a long time for it to fire up during everyday use.

It can be turning the engine over for about 10 seconds then it fires up.

I know that 10 seconds doesn't sound long.

But it is when you are a passenger thinking will this car get me home.

Thanks for the reply's. The engine does turn over just takes a long time for it to fire up during everyday use.

It can be turning the engine over for about 10 seconds then it fires up.

I know that 10 seconds doesn't sound long.

But it is when you are a passenger thinking will this car get me home.

Agree, 10 seconds is too long. What about when you got it running? Rough idle, decrease in power or anything like that? When did you last have your sparkplugs replaced? Or sparkplug wires for that matter.

After it starts up it runs fine, never cuts out & is responsive once it is going.

I have changed plugs and leads as I thought these could be a root cause and easally changed.

No improvement.

The service history with the car is great. I have changed oil every 5000 etc etc.

I may taake it to Toyota dealer to see what they come up with.

After it starts up it runs fine, never cuts out & is responsive once it is going.

I have changed plugs and leads as I thought these could be a root cause and easally changed.

No improvement.

The service history with the car is great. I have changed oil every 5000 etc etc.

I may taake it to Toyota dealer to see what they come up with.

That's probebly the best solution. Get it in a diagnostic tool. Sounds like it's not getting enough fuel or something, but question is why. Probebly engine management failure, but difficult to determine the origine. Some sensor malfunction, but which one?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and hello all, rather than start a new thread I will continue on this one as it seems to be a similar problem to mine.

I purchased a 2007 1.6L petrol Avensis Strata last week.

My problem is that the car does not start upon immediate turning of the key, the starter kicks in but I have to wait 10+ seconds, occasionally nothing happens and I have to start the simple procedure of turning the key again.

The dealer I purchased off is an independent so not sure of they would have the Toyota technical knowledge, whereas this forum seems quite informative.

My queries....

1. Anyone experiencing this and have a solution to the problem

2. With a 3 year warranty, is this covered, in which case I could ignore the independent garage (bit of a trek to get to) and head straight to my local Toyota dealer.

Thanks in advance

S1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links