Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Avensis

Masai

The old Avensis hatchback is a brilliant car. Why no hatchback on the new Avensis ? Some of us do have a lot of stuff to carry, but do not want an Estate. Estates are for kids and dogs.

If I wanted a saloon I could buy a Lexus or an Accord. The hatchback is perfect.

One other thing: Why no speed cameras with the Satnav - I have had that on the old car for 5 years.

Why no hatchback on the new Avensis ?

The simple answer is cost. It's much cheaper to produce 2 instead of 3 models, also the UK seems to be the only market that buys 5 door family cars.

There are number of Rav4 3 door owners who find the current 5 door model too big for their needs, I imagine the loss of sales is less than producing a short wheel base car :unsure:

Masai: Why no hatchback on the new Avensis

As above, plus the UK is the only European country where a hatchback is favoured. They are not as popular in Europe so I can tell you you are not going to see a hatchback anytime soon. Have you looked at the saloon? they are cavernous (as opposed to carnivorous) :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Not really many 'big' hatchback (mondeo sized) i like tbh, so glad there isnt a avensis, the old avensis hatch looked 'ok' i guess still prefered the sedan, i say the only other mondeo sized hatch back i like look of is the new mazda6, i mean the accord hatch back of the late 90's/ early 2000, oh dear what happened there!! :rolleyes: lol

The old Avensis hatchback is a brilliant car. Why no hatchback on the new Avensis ? Some of us do have a lot of stuff to carry, but do not want an Estate. Estates are for kids and dogs.

If I wanted a saloon I could buy a Lexus or an Accord. The hatchback is perfect.

One other thing: Why no speed cameras with the Satnav - I have had that on the old car for 5 years.

And what about the second part - Why no speed cameras on the Satnav, presumably too because they are not allowed in Europe. When are the marketing people going to get it - we are not Europe !

I reside in 'Europe' and here the estate certainly is the most popular version.

More than 75% of Passat's are estate, and Toyota expect the new Avensis to sell the same percentage estates.

Not only is the estate usually the better looking, and you also gives all the right signals in that you show that while you drive a proper motor with decent engine, you also have the time to play golf and take the kids for sports etc.

If you are an angry old man, you'll get the sedan.

There are no need for a 5-door in this class, as it is ugly, has less prestige and is not as practical as the estate.

I can understand the reasoning behind Toyota's decision not to produce a HB but you can't disagree with the original posters point of view. The HB is the most popular variant of all models and makes in the UK - fact!

As for Parts-King's comments re the boot size 'Have you looked at the saloon? they are cavernous (as opposed to carnivorous)' that may be but as with all saloon boots, its a real bugger to get anything in them of any bulk due to the width/depth of the opening of the boot itself.

I love my Avensis HB (2006) but I won't be buying the new variant - either the Tourer or the Salooon - as it doesn't suit my needs. I expect that stance to be common amongst current Mk1 and Mk2 Avensis owners.

TeyaDog

Just a note on SALOON & H/B.

Live right on the edge of europe in Toyota land. Would back original posting, saloon & h/back models absolutely all over the place. You could count the number of tourer models on the road on one hand.

Regards, Beagh.

Absolutely Agree. I've had an estate in the past (have an Avensis T3 hatch now) but the kids are growing up and I don't want an estate now. A saloon is just too restrictive. What if you need to pick up some furniture or take a stepladder to the mother in laws to fix something or just get a shed load of luggage and Christmas presents in?

Also, why not ditch the built in sat nav? Toyota can't possibly keep up with the quick upgrades of the stand alone models. My previous Toyota sat nav was obsolete the day I bought the car.

I'm just about at the point where I am looking to change my car and was planning to go for another Avensis, but no hatch, no sale.

Not in the Uk matey. Estates are considered old fashioned and are associated with mums dropping off schoolkids. The hatchback is a swiss army knife of a car. I've never understood why anyone would tie themselves to a saloon unless they have so much money that they never have to do anything practical with their car.

I reside in 'Europe' and here the estate certainly is the most popular version.

More than 75% of Passat's are estate, and Toyota expect the new Avensis to sell the same percentage estates.

Not only is the estate usually the better looking, and you also gives all the right signals in that you show that while you drive a proper motor with decent engine, you also have the time to play golf and take the kids for sports etc.

If you are an angry old man, you'll get the sedan.

There are no need for a 5-door in this class, as it is ugly, has less prestige and is not as practical as the estate.

Geewhy: What if you need to pick up some furniture

Have it delivered

or take a stepladder to the mother in laws to fix something

Make her use her own ladder, yours will wear out too quick if you keep using it

just get a shed load of luggage and Christmas presents in?

Don't buy any- save a fortune ;)

:D:

As said before, the hatch is a UK only thing, you just don't have the demand for it elsewhere in Europe to the levels of the UK demand. Why would they spend soooo much cash on a third model? The number of sales they get on the hatch just doesn't cut it anymore.

Toyota are really gunning for more exec fleet sales with this release. Its so easy to see. Saloons are the choice of company car drivers. BMW/Audi/Passat for examples. Whats left? Hatchback users would "probably" go for the estate.

I use a saloon now, I find it very practical for all sorts of things. I am seriously tempted by the estate version of the new release. Just because I "may" not use the space day in, day out, doesn't mean it wont come in bloomin handy on occasions. It also looks a damn sight nicer than a hatchback. I might even go for a RAV4 or a Hilux, not because I need the space or have kids etc, but because they are great all rounders!!

At the end of the day its a business decision, and the right one I personally feel. Sorry to all those hatchback lovers

:D

I had a quick look at the new Avensis in the showroom while i was waiting for the salesman to come up with a trade in price for the heap i'm currently in (Primera, but not for many more days hopefully) and the 1st thought i had when i saw it was how much like a SAAB it looked.

As said before, the hatch is a UK only thing, you just don't have the demand for it elsewhere in Europe to the levels of the UK demand. Why would they spend soooo much cash on a third model? The number of sales they get on the hatch just doesn't cut it anymore.

Toyota are really gunning for more exec fleet sales with this release. Its so easy to see. Saloons are the choice of company car drivers. BMW/Audi/Passat for examples. Whats left? Hatchback users would "probably" go for the estate.

I use a saloon now, I find it very practical for all sorts of things. I am seriously tempted by the estate version of the new release. Just because I "may" not use the space day in, day out, doesn't mean it wont come in bloomin handy on occasions. It also looks a damn sight nicer than a hatchback. I might even go for a RAV4 or a Hilux, not because I need the space or have kids etc, but because they are great all rounders!!

At the end of the day its a business decision, and the right one I personally feel. Sorry to all those hatchback lovers

:D

As far as I can see, there is no argument... I drove the first hatchback many years ago. Remember the Renault 16 TS? A brillant car Hemi head, twin down-draught webers full independent suspension 0 to 60 in Ten. great seats,no wonder they used it in the Lotus Europa, that was back in 1970. The engineering was sound, shame about the bodywork. Now I ve got the Avensis diesel Hatch T3s it's a fine car but why go backwards a buy a booted car? A hatch is so versatile, I play golf. have grandchildren, Cots Buggys lawnmowers, shredders DIY what use is a boot? As for looks the hatch is the best looking of the three shapes with the Tourer in second place. I drive a lot abroad and admit there are more Tourers over there. Hatchbacks are used as Taxi's in Germany and they do know a good thing when they see one. I will not ever buy a booted car again. Where is that Mazda Brochure? Ha, I am only joking, my Avensis will last at least another five years. I have the same difficulty with the rear seat belts locking up using child seats, and sometimes they refuse to even buckle up at all. The belts not the children! A retrograde step not making the Hatchback. They will regret it.