Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unidentified Noise, Been Checked A By Three People And No Positive Sug

Daniel78

125,000 mile yaris 1.3 SR. 2001

The problem only exhibits it's self first thing in the morning and feels like a rotation grating similar to cv joint failure-only at full lock and at parking speeds

So far it's been jacked up several times, including compressing the suspension with a secondary jack, locking off one wheel with brake pipe clamp and then running up transmission and using brakes to load the wheel. Both sides have been checked.

nothing can be found, no play in wheel bearings, drive shafts, cv joint have been checked and repacked with grease.

gearbox oil is clean and diff doesn't exhibit excessive slop- when moving inner cv joints

This is most frustrating, we did consider possibly it could be planet gear in diff, bizarre thing is for the feel and grating sounds you would expect it to be horrendous round a roundabout or at speed-it just disappears.

Walking next to it as it moves slowly round a car park it sounds as if it comes from the front and you can feel it through the steering, unfortunately the noise is not very loud and is masked by engine.

We were hopeful that maybe someone will have experienced similar, as throwing parts at it is an expensive way to find this issue's cause

Thanks, will take another look at the steering again, I know the rack seemed okay and no slop in trackrod ends.

Any ideas gratefully received

There's a pressure release on the hydraulic system for the power steering ( usually ) - something to do with not blowing the seals when it's on full lock and there's more strain on the system.

This is my understanding of it anyway - I'd wait for someone to confirm this before you rip things out. It's very rare that you'd ever get to full lock when driving at any road speeds - even when cornering, so that may explain why it's better behaved when you're out on the road.

Good luck !

125,000 mile yaris 1.3 SR. 2001

The problem only exhibits it's self first thing in the morning and feels like a rotation grating similar to cv joint failure-only at full lock and at parking speeds

So far it's been jacked up several times, including compressing the suspension with a secondary jack, locking off one wheel with brake pipe clamp and then running up transmission and using brakes to load the wheel. Both sides have been checked.

nothing can be found, no play in wheel bearings, drive shafts, cv joint have been checked and repacked with grease.

gearbox oil is clean and diff doesn't exhibit excessive slop- when moving inner cv joints

Some cars have what I call "Brake scrape" when first used in cold/wet conditions or if not been driven for a while.

The brake pads/discs are always slightly being scraped clean by the discs as the wheels rotate and if it has been wet or the vehicle has not been used for a while, they slightly corrode and fuse together. This then cracks back open when you use the car and, for a short while, they then make a scraping sound until clean again.

This may be what you are experiencing, especially as your car has covered so many miles. You may have even replaced the discs in this time, my work car had them changed at around 75,000 miles and the new, non-Toyota replacements are a bit noisier when you brake firmly at low speed!

The other question is does this model have a duel mass flywheel as we have had similar issues with a vw that the duel mass flywheel was shot-but the clutch was also U/S

I know what you mean by the brakes grinding and we have checked it's not rusty edge rubbing or brake related.

The other question is does this model have a duel mass flywheel as we have had similar issues with a vw that the duel mass flywheel was shot-but the clutch was also U/S

I know what you mean by the brakes grinding and we have checked it's not rusty edge rubbing or brake related.

No it doesnt have one.:)