Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help A Lad Out?

1991conor

Passed my test a couple of months ago and got myself a White Toyota Yaris. Happy as Lary. Named it Yogi the lot..

Now, I want a few things done..

If anyone has any advice or could lend a hand with a few of my ideas?

The thing looks like its on stilts, what suspension kits would anyone recommend. looking around the 40-60mm drop?

Would like to get the bumpers and wing mirrors colour coded, if there is anyone within the North-East that could recommend somewhere I would be extremely gratefull.

I LOVE the Yaris T-Sport alloys. From looking on the Team Toyot Europe site there is alot of stuff on there that wouldn't go a miss! Is any of that gear available in the U.K? If not, where would I look to to get a good buy on some alloys or even the kit?

I know I seem to be asking a bit much, just drop a word perhaps.. Im giving it a go lads!

Cheers!

If you are just planning on springs or coil overs with no other suspension mods then your 40 - 60mm drop will cause your suspension not to work properly. Now before you think I'm talking rubbish have a think on how they actually work and what happens if they don't work.

When you hit bumps and undulations on the road the springs compress absorbing the shock while the shock absorber stops the car bouncing into the air when the spring decompresses, it dampens the rebound hence why they are sometimes referred to as Dampers. If these two components aren't working with each other properly the car will have fairly serious handling issues.

One of the reasons why they won't work together is down to what is known as suspension travel, if you run out of suspension travel the car will bottom out on the bumpstops and could bounce into the air, this will obviously be a major problem. If you fit springs that are too low for the shock absorber or fit coilovers and have then adjust them too low you could run out of suspension travel in certain circumstances.

Have you ever sat behind a car that has been slammed on the deck?

Have you ever watched them bouncing round a corner?

The bouncing happens because as the car corners it's weight is transfered to one side causing the car to lean over, as it leans over the spring compresses, it then hits bumps/undulations on the road and runs out of suspension travel bottoming out resulting in the wheels momentarily leaving the road. This is obviously a bad thing.... and all because the car is too low and the suspension is doing it's job properly. It also leads to a very uncomfortable ride.

So how do you stop this from happening if you want your car 40-60mm lower?

Well, you need to do other modifications to help the suspension do it's job properly. What stops a car leaning over as it corners, or to put the question another way, what stops body roll? Anti-roll bars (AKA Swaybars)

The anti-roll bar does a multitude of things, it stiffens the suspension, helps keep the camber setting as close to optimal as possibly by reducing chassis roll increasing grip etc etc.. I won't go into everything as it will just be overkill in this thread. Baisically fitting upgraded (stiffer) anti-roll bars will stop your car leaning over when cornering, this in turn will give your suspension more travel to work should you hit a bump on the corner, having enough suspension travel will mean the spring will compress, the shock absorber will dampen and your wheel will remain in contact with the road.... all as it should be. Obviously there are other components that can help but unless your building a racing car you don't need to think about them too much.

My advice is this.. if you want to go lower than 30 -35mm then fit uprated anti-roll bars too as without them your suspension might not work properly, If you fit coil overs then don't slam the car right down on them.. leave them with enough room to work properly for driving and slam them down when your at a show etc.

Colour coding... I'm not in the North East so can't help you there.. sorry

The T-Sport alloys sometimes come up on eBay.. I think they are replicas, but a few have bought them in the past and were happy with them, or keep your eye on the "for sale" section or put in a "wanted" add.

There are quite a few places who sell lot's of modifications for the yaris... search the forum for what you want (coil overs - exhaust - induction kit etc etc) and you might find where other members have bought their stuff from.. Envy Performance were/are quite popular.

Hey mate,

If your looking for just springs the best to go for are tein s.techs which lower 35mm at the front and 38mm on the rear and actually make the car handle quite well! If your looking for better handling still you can use some koni shocks which are dampning adjustable.

Lower than 40mm i suggest tein basic coilovers which can be bought from envy or eBay!

Adam

Thanks alot mate,

Once it was posted I had a look about myself for some springs. With the TTE and Tein springs coming up the most popular and after thinking about it and seeing your information. It was a bit of a stupid comment wanting a 40-60mm drop without hassel!

Which ones would you personally recommend between the two?

I was thinking about it further and if a T-Sport bumpers would want to be fitted then i would have a issue with the fog lamps as my car doesnt have the front fogs, only rear! Would'nt know if there would be much work needed to be done to either link them up so they would come on when I go to turn the rear ones or..

Im not all that fused about the performance side of the car just get it to look a bit smart. Yeah, ive had a hunt around eBay but there hasent been many on.

Quite a few sets of wheels on but, I'd like to keep it Toyota.

Thanks for the infomation anyways mate!

Thanks alot mate,

Once it was posted I had a look about myself for some springs. With the TTE and Tein springs coming up the most popular and after thinking about it and seeing your information. It was a bit of a stupid comment wanting a 40-60mm drop without hassel!

Which ones would you personally recommend between the two?

I was thinking about it further and if a T-Sport bumpers would want to be fitted then i would have a issue with the fog lamps as my car doesnt have the front fogs, only rear! Would'nt know if there would be much work needed to be done to either link them up so they would come on when I go to turn the rear ones or..

Im not all that fused about the performance side of the car just get it to look a bit smart. Yeah, ive had a hunt around ebay but there hasent been many on.

Quite a few sets of wheels on but, I'd like to keep it Toyota.

Thanks for the infomation anyways mate!

TTE springs arent really worth it to be honest mate, arent much stiffer than standard and still wont be very low.

I suggest the tein s.techs, the car has a far better stance with them on.

As for the T sport bumpers i had them fitted to my SR, can be got quite cheap from toyota, as far as the fog lamp situation goes if you buy the grills and not actually put any lights in it looks quite good, "my signiture" then if you have an induction kit the holes can work as a cold air feed for the induction kit.

Adam

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links