Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Light On When Engine Idle

Mark Dixon

Hi all,

In the last week my engine oil light has been coming on whilst the engine is at idle. When I raise the revs or if the car is moving the light goes off. I topped the oil up but it didnt make much difference. I checked the oil level after topping it up and it was on the Max line.

What else does the Oil light indicate, does the filter need changing? I am planning on getting an engine service done soon as the MOT is due as well, hopefully that will cure it or will I need something else doing to it?

Also, I had two new tyres fitted to the font wheels of the car and the tracking done, now the steering feels a little loose.. ie sometimes the steering wheel is level when I go straight, others it goes about 10-15 degrees CCW for straight and when I'm on the motorway it seems to drift. Do I need to go back to the garage and ask them to check it again?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but cars are not my forte and I live in fear of being taken for a ride by garages (no pun intended), but I do love my Avensis.

Thanks

BTW its a 54 plate '05 1.8 petrol.

Hi all,

In the last week my engine oil light has been coming on whilst the engine is at idle. When I raise the revs or if the car is moving the light goes off. I topped the oil up but it didnt make much difference. I checked the oil level after topping it up and it was on the Max line.

What else does the Oil light indicate, does the filter need changing? I am planning on getting an engine service done soon as the MOT is due as well, hopefully that will cure it or will I need something else doing to it?

Also, I had two new tyres fitted to the font wheels of the car and the tracking done, now the steering feels a little loose.. ie sometimes the steering wheel is level when I go straight, others it goes about 10-15 degrees CCW for straight and when I'm on the motorway it seems to drift. Do I need to go back to the garage and ask them to check it again?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but cars are not my forte and I live in fear of being taken for a ride by garages (no pun intended), but I do love my Avensis.

Thanks

BTW its a 54 plate '05 1.8 petrol.

Dear Mark

Hello

please note the following possible issues with light coming ON:

- oil pump wear down;

- oil filter is blocked;

- Crankshaft main bearings gaps are out of limits due to wear of crankshaft.

Cheers/Igor

Hopefully it is just a filter issue, but if this was my car I'd have it in the garage today. You don't want to risk oil starvation in your engine, it could ruin it.

Hopefully it is just a filter issue, but if this was my car I'd have it in the garage today. You don't want to risk oil starvation in your engine, it could ruin it.

yes it looks like this suggestion

cheers

cheers

Ok. I'll change the oil filter... hope I make it home! :o

cheers

Ok. I'll change the oil filter... hope I make it home! :o

what about oil change?

it is necessary to change both.

cheers

Yeah, realised after I posted... If I had my wallet with me I could drop it at a garage whilst I am in work... but instead I've got to go home and then back to work again.

The oil filter has to be very dirty indeed to make the light go on. When did you last change it? I would suspect the oil pump

To Mark Dixon,

You don't give milage for car, maybe problem could be faulty oil pressure sensor switch !!

Regards, Beagh.

I concur with Beagh that it may just be a faulty oil pressure switch. Filter shouldn't make a difference even if it is blocked solid, oil should then go through the oil filter bypass valve.

If it isn't a faulty switch, probably an engine stripdown to find the problem (oil pump, main bearings etc.)

Sorry, should have mentioned mileage, there's about 120k on the clock. The car was a company car and has full serrvice history prior to me getting it.

When I first noticed the problem was when I would brake and then the light came on, but as soon as the forward-force went away the light went off. When I checked the oil it was just above the minimum line on the stick, now the oil is right on max. It only happens now below 2k revs and when the engine is warm (ie after a good 30 minute run).

I think I might book it in for a service this weekend, its a real good car and it would be a shame to have anything happen to it because I didnt spend the money on a service every year.

Sorry, should have mentioned mileage, there's about 120k on the clock. The car was a company car and has full serrvice history prior to me getting it.

When I first noticed the problem was when I would brake and then the light came on, but as soon as the forward-force went away the light went off. When I checked the oil it was just above the minimum line on the stick, now the oil is right on max. It only happens now below 2k revs and when the engine is warm (ie after a good 30 minute run).

I think I might book it in for a service this weekend, its a real good car and it would be a shame to have anything happen to it because I didnt spend the money on a service every year.

When the engine is warm, the oil is thinner and therefore pressure drops as thin oil can leak away through small gaps easier than thick oil.

Forgot to mention in my other post, if it isn't a faulty pressure switch, check the oil pressure relief valve. Possible sticky valve, dirt in valve holding it open slightly or even a broken spring. Hopefully it's one of these two as they are easily rectified.

You could always try some EP90 oil if all else fails....... (JOKE!)

When the engine is warm, the oil is thinner and therefore pressure drops as thin oil can leak away through small gaps easier than thick oil.

Forgot to mention in my other post, if it isn't a faulty pressure switch, check the oil pressure relief valve. Possible sticky valve, dirt in valve holding it open slightly or even a broken spring. Hopefully it's one of these two as they are easily rectified.

Dont Joke.. I was almost in google looking that up then... in the dictionary next to the definition for gullable is a picture of me...

Thats why I hate it when stuff goes wrong with my car. The mechanic could tell me the ferrets in the left oboe have run out of olympic medals and I'd [almost] believe them... but hey, thats why I'm a PC techie :)

Dont Joke.. I was almost in google looking that up then... in the dictionary next to the definition for gullable is a picture of me...

Thats why I hate it when stuff goes wrong with my car. The mechanic could tell me the ferrets in the left oboe have run out of olympic medals and I'd [almost] believe them... but hey, thats why I'm a PC techie :)

Mark,

Have a word with the garage before booking a service, get them to look into the oil pressure problem first then if it's easily sorted carry on with a service. No point having the car serviced if the bottom end is sh***ed, it would be a waste of money. Fingers crossed that its just a faulty switch or sticking oil pressure relief valve.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links