Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Needed - What To Pay?

AnilS

Hello, I'm looking to replace my wifes' Golf GTi, and she has a hankering for a RAV4 3dr.

One has appeared locally and its an XTR in Black. Its a 2006 with about 27K miles (FTSH) and one owner (ex Motability but not modified), who wants £9500 for it which I think is well overpriced. Truth is, he doesn't know how to price it and is willing on me making an offer, which he will consider before advertising it.

Questions are:

1. What should I be looking for? He will put a fresh MOT on it this March.

2. What would be a sensible offer?

3. Can I take out an extended warranty with Toyota?

Its not the only car on my wifes' radar, others being a BMW 1 series, another Golf and a Suzuki Swift Sport (all very different cars I know :( )

All ideas listened too ;)

Many thanks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AnilS

• Uncle Bob

• dave.m

• anchorman

Good luck with that one mate as 4X4 prices are a bit of a minefield at the moment. You have not said wether

its a petrol or diesel, so assuming petrol have a look at this, I've based it on an XT3 as the XT-R aint on this

site so use as an example and then make them a crazy offer. Good luck :thumbsup:

http://www.whatcar.com/valuation-summary.a...07&ML=27000

Hello, I'm looking to replace my wifes' Golf GTi, and she has a hankering for a RAV4 3dr.

One has appeared locally and its an XTR in Black. Its a 2006 with about 27K miles (FTSH) and one owner (ex Motability but not modified), who wants £9500 for it which I think is well overpriced. Truth is, he doesn't know how to price it and is willing on me making an offer, which he will consider before advertising it.

Questions are:

Its not the only car on my wifes' radar, others being a BMW 1 series, another Golf and a Suzuki Swift Sport (all very different cars I know :( )

Many thanks.

considering i just paid 11k for a 4.3 xt5 diesel with 30k on the clock that sounds ridiculously expensive ?????

Many thanks for the replies.

Its a 2.0l petrol.

You're right, prices are very variable and hence hard to pitch, thats why I've to you (LEARNED) lot :D

Would £8500 still be too much. I'm not that desparate (as I prefer her to have the Suzuki :lol: ) as she is to have it.

Maybe £8000 then :huh:

the only suzuki worth having is the jimny cos its aff road ability is good. Otherwise check out all the websites for prices.

the only suzuki worth having is the jimny cos its aff road ability is good. Otherwise check out all the websites for prices.

Unless its intentional, she'll be doing no off-roading. :P

Checked various websites but there is no consistency.

Go for the best and cheapest then? :rolleyes:

Questions are:

Many thanks.

Hello AnilS,

As others have said the used car market as no consistency at the moment, a late 3 door RAV4 is as much about desirability, as it is about price, not many to choice from these days, so to a degree its a sellers market.

Taking the desirability out of the equation I've had a look at the used car prices and also checked out Toyota GB's wesite....only 4 2005/06 3 doors to choice from, prices are......

2005 ..... 8k.....£8995.00

2005......20k.....£8900.00

2005.......28k....£8495.00

2006......22k......£10.495.00

The used car price guides, show the prices like this....

Whatcar (only list a Granite )

Dealer....£7300.00

Private.....£6600.00

Parkers Guide,

main dealer......£7400.00

Independent....£7000.00

Private.......£6400.00

Wise buyers guide,

Retail.....£6400.00

Private....£5900.00

So a bit of a mix of prices, you don't say if its petrol or diesel but if it was my money, i would want to buy it as close to £6500/£7000 and thats only if its in outstanding condition with very good tyres (£80/100 a corner ).

As to the warranty, you can buy an extended warranty from your local Toyota dealer, and note they are the only warranties on the planet that are worth the paper they are printed on ! anyway good luck and if need anymore help just shout :)

Many thanks Uncle Bob :D

I mentioned in post 4 it was a 2.0l petrol ;)

Oddly he has part ex'd into a fairly local Toyota dealer under his motablity scheme. Having called this dealer a short while ago, they want £9500 which includes a fresh MOT, service and 12 months warranty.

I can get alot more car than that TBH, for that price. That is far too high in my reckoning. :(

I will keep my eyes peeled for the next couple of weeks as with March 1st upon us, you never know what might turn up. :unsure:

Again, valued guidance appreciated.

Many thanks Uncle Bob :D

I mentioned in post 4 it was a 2.0l petrol ;)

Oddly he has part ex'd into a fairly local Toyota dealer under his motablity scheme. Having called this dealer a short while ago, they want £9500 which includes a fresh MOT, service and 12 months warranty.

I can get alot more car than that TBH, for that price. That is far too high in my reckoning. :(

I will keep my eyes peeled for the next couple of weeks as with March 1st upon us, you never know what might turn up. :unsure:

Again, valued guidance appreciated.

Keep in contact with the dealer also let them have your number, they are just trying their luck at that price, if you really want the RAV4 go down for a road test , then start talking figures, go in at £8000 and stay as close to that figure as possible, the work they have done ie service, mot and warranty would retail around £700ish.

Last thought, its the end of the month when dealers look at their sales figures , that could be a good time to try for a deal :)

There are a few 3 door RAV's in the Worcestershire area using the Auto Trader site...well thats if 40-60 miles is local !

Thanks again Uncle Bob.

Yes, end of period/month is always a good time to go in for the kill, but they claim they won't retail it until the first week of March, which is a bit odd.

That said, they have all my details and I have point blank refused their opening bid.

Again, appreciated.

Hey, Anil. Long time, no speak. Sorry, can't help you with the prices, as I don't know anything about them. Just wanted to say Hi :clap:

You still got the tank?

Simon (aka Torpedo from RX8OC)

Hey, Anil. Long time, no speak. Sorry, can't help you with the prices, as I don't know anything about them. Just wanted to say Hi :clap:

You still got the tank?

Simon (aka Torpedo from RX8OC)

Hi Simon. Hows it hanging :P I wondered when you'd cotton to me posting ;)

Hope all is well. Bet your lad is quite a big boy now ;) .

Yup, still have the tank. Wifey wants to return to the Toyota brand after her VW.

If anyone knows of a RAV4 (as above) going for sensible money, please shout. I will be selling her car privately as dealers will give nothing as a PX. No change there then :rolleyes: This also means I'm not tied in. Happy to buy the RAV and sell hers afterwards too. :)

I have seen a nice Diesel XTR locally, with low miles and decently priced. How different is the diesel to the petrol to drive? I have never owned a diesel.

Are they noisy too or is there decent sound suppression? Might venture out for a test drive if reviews are positive. :)

a Black 3 Door RAV4 would look very nice indeed but they are no so rare that you need to pay over the odds for one.

Suzuki Swift - if you are looking at that class of vehicle, then IMHO the Swift sporty model (can't remember the designation) would make a great purchase.

Like you had said, very different vehicles so I think you need to buy well as she may end up wanting to change much earlier then planned if she is quite undecided about what she wants.

Good luck :thumbsup:

I have seen a nice Diesel XTR locally, with low miles and decently priced. How different is the diesel to the petrol to drive? I have never owned a diesel.

Are they noisy too or is there decent sound suppression? Might venture out for a test drive if reviews are positive. :)

Diesels can have problems with the duel mass flywheel......

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74099

a Black 3 Door RAV4 would look very nice indeed but they are no so rare that you need to pay over the odds for one.

Suzuki Swift - if you are looking at that class of vehicle, then IMHO the Swift sporty model (can't remember the designation) would make a great purchase.

Like you had said, very different vehicles so I think you need to buy well as she may end up wanting to change much earlier then planned if she is quite undecided about what she wants.

Good luck :thumbsup:

LOL :lol:

You've met my wife.

They seem rare indeed :crybaby:

She has just added an Mini Cooper to the list :blink:

Wimmin :thumbsup:

Think I'll see what happens at the end of the month for two reasons.

1. See what more turns up.

2. She might make up her bloomin' mind :yahoo:

Mini Coopers are nice as well - least she had a decent shortlist (long as the BMW stays off it!)

I saw 2 Black 3 Door RAVs today actually, but not for sale though ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well (refundable) deposit down on one at the local dealer and get to see it this Friday. ;)

My wifes' Golf GTi sold. unexpectidily quickly to an enthusiast living 250 miles away!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/902786.htm

so she is without a car presently. However, to broker the deal, the dealer is Valeting, Servicing, MOTing, Taxing (12 months), Fueling and putting 12 months warranty on it, which is costing him I would guess about £800. Any thoughts on what you guys think it would cost them? :unsure:

Also, the car won't be ready until the end of next week, so he will be loaning my wife a car as a stop gap. If only BMW and VW were this considerate :rolleyes: .

The car is Astral Black (so non-metallic) RAV4 XTR 3dr, which will be 3 years old in March, with 27K miles on the clock.

Now I'm not sure and this where I need some help. Do these 3 doors come with a rear parcel shelf to hide the boot contents or can you buy something that'll do the job?

If all goes well, and we get it, I'll post up some pics.

Many thanks in advance, Anil.

Well (refundable) deposit down on one at the local dealer and get to see it this Friday. ;)

My wifes' Golf GTi sold. unexpectidily quickly to an enthusiast living 250 miles away!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/902786.htm

so she is without a car presently. However, to broker the deal, the dealer is Valeting, Servicing, MOTing, Taxing (12 months), Fueling and putting 12 months warranty on it, which is costing him I would guess about £800. Any thoughts on what you guys think it would cost them? :unsure:

Also, the car won't be ready until the end of next week, so he will be loaning my wife a car as a stop gap. If only BMW and VW were this considerate :rolleyes: .

The car is Astral Black (so non-metallic) RAV4 XTR 3dr, which will be 3 years old in March, with 27K miles on the clock.

Now I'm not sure and this where I need some help. Do these 3 doors come with a rear parcel shelf to hide the boot contents or can you buy something that'll do the job?

If all goes well, and we get it, I'll post up some pics.

Many thanks in advance, Anil.

Great news and well done :thumbsup: ,another 4.2 3 door to join the club , some photo's please once you take ownership....and get the wifes permission :)

As to the dealers outlay, I'm told there is no profit on the warranty and the sales would have to pay for workshop time, although discounted, service will be oil and filter ,then check this and check that !

The RAC Inspection which is mentioned on any used car is an inspection sheet ticked by a Toyota mechanic, not an RAC independent inspection :rolleyes:

Do give the RAV a look over before you drive off as they can miss things, when i done the deal on mine i noted to the salesman the spare was flat, it then had a full service and a RAC inspection and was deliverd with the spare still flat ! they ended up fitting a new tyre.

If you're DIY competent you can make one yourself. Have a look at this thread -

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...cel+shelf,+rav4

or have a look at Pips version -

http://www.unclepips.co.uk/rav/

Dave, very useful cheers. I've been thinking about the shelf since (and a pretty useful DIYer ;) ) but may make a collapable strong box :) . If and when, I'll let you guys know ;)

Uncle Bob, no worries about checking this out. I'll get to tsee the car this friday and give it a through going over.

Cheers again :D

"Houston, we have a problem" :o

Got a call from the dealer to have a look at the car yesterday (in for its first MOT) and it was in a shocking state. :( How it passed the MOT with its front tyres shot and a cracked number plate is beyond me. :huh:

Owned by a chronic smoker, its interior was a mobile ashtray. The exterior had had a life at petrol station car washes. Not a single body panel was umarked, most had a dent and the paint had never seen wax in its 3 years.

I threw my teddies out of the pram, asking them why they thought it was a good idea to show this off to me before prep! :huh:

I couldn't have been more angry :angry: . I know (also being on detailingworld :rolleyes: ) that you can get rid of the smell temporarily but it comes back :( .

There are only two saving graces. Firstly, its only done 22K miles and secondly, its one of the very last XTRs.

The dealer has offered to do the following, but still asking £9K;

1. Replace both front tyres

2. Replace the front number plate

3. Remove the dents and re-spray all the panels

4. Replace the drivers door seal. It was hanging off.

5. Deep clean the interior. (I sure this won't be enough as the nicotine layers will be in the vent pipework, etc ...............)

6. Loan us a courtesy car until its ready (obviously the run up to the new reg means they are prepping those cars first).

7. MOT (done) and service the car before pickup.

The issues is compounded by my oldest son and myself being allergic to nicotine! I could even sit in the car yesterday.

I have included some pics (they don't show the full horror like being there but the drivers' and rear door give you an idea) for your thoughts. I feel let down and am 99% sure I'll be seeking our deposit back.

DSCN1096.jpg

DSCN1097.jpg

DSCN1098.jpg

DSCN1100.jpg

DSCN1099.jpg

DSCN1103.jpg

DSCN1102.jpg

DSCN1104.jpg

:( That's a real pity, you could argue your case and get a discount but if you are allergic to nicotine you need to walk away.

I would have to say if you are allergic to nicotine , best walk away from this car as the smell will always be there :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links