Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Type Of 02 Reg 1.8 Petrol Avensis ?

toyato

I own a 02 reg Toyota Avensis (1.8 petrol) and I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me what engine type the car has. Is it a #ZZFE (not sure what the # means) or a 1AZ-FSE perhaps (or none of these ?). I suspect it is a 1-ZZ-FE, but please correct me if I am wrong !

Reason for asking is that on the paperwork of the services that have been carried out in the past by technicians at a Toyota garage, there’s written n/a in the sections where some spark plugs are mentioned that maybe should have been replaced depending on the engine type. n/a means probably not applicable rather than not available ? I have not had the best experience with the garage in question, so I want to make sure whether this type of car has an engine that does indeed not need the concerning spark plugs (or not if that makes sense). Unfortunately the owner’s manual is not to clear about this either as it is written for more than one type of Avensis (a common problem) and a quick look under the bonnet did tell me much about the engine type either. How often do the spark plugs of this type car need changing anyway ? It only uses one type I suppose ?

Any thoughts ? Let me know if you need more specific information regarding the car type if that would help identifying the engine.

I own a 02 reg Toyota Avensis (1.8 petrol) and I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me what engine type the car has. Is it a #ZZFE (not sure what the # means) or a 1AZ-FSE perhaps (or none of these ?). I suspect it is a 1-ZZ-FE, but please correct me if I am wrong !

Reason for asking is that on the paperwork of the services that have been carried out in the past by technicians at a Toyota garage, there’s written n/a in the sections where some spark plugs are mentioned that maybe should have been replaced depending on the engine type. n/a means probably not applicable rather than not available ? I have not had the best experience with the garage in question, so I want to make sure whether this type of car has an engine that does indeed not need the concerning spark plugs (or not if that makes sense). Unfortunately the owner’s manual is not to clear about this either as it is written for more than one type of Avensis (a common problem) and a quick look under the bonnet did tell me much about the engine type either. How often do the spark plugs of this type car need changing anyway ? It only uses one type I suppose ?

Any thoughts ? Let me know if you need more specific information regarding the car type if that would help identifying the engine.

hello

It must be 1-ZZ-FE like mine.

cheers/Igor

If you have the 1.8 VVTi then it is the 1ZZ-FE engine fitted however there are two choices of plugs for your car however the plugs are identical it just varies on the material used in the plugs contraction.

1. Iridium - replace every 40,000 miles

2. Platinum - replace every 60,000 miles

There seems to be no way to tell which plugs are fitted except contacting your local Toyota parts dept' or using the site below & guesstimating your cars details it would appear you have Denso K16R-U11 plugs fitted.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/

K = Thread & hex size - T 14mm / H 16mm ISO

16 = Heat range

R = Resistance

U = U-groove earth electrode

11 = electrode gap 1.1mm

As there is no P in the spark plug code it appears you do not have the Platinum plugs. but input your chassis number on the site above just double check.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Devon

To toyato,

Engine code is 1ZZ-FE. And your plug type should be either DENSO K16R-U11 or NGK BKR5EYA-11, both as good as each other.

Regards, Beagh.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your answers, I am a bit confused about it now though; I've put the chassis number in http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/

and the following info came back:

19100P PLUG, SPARK

90080-91193 1ZZFE, 3ZZFE..ZZT22*; K16R-U11, (L) 4 € 5.10

90919-01164 1ZZFE, 3ZZFE..ZZT22*; K16R-U11, (J) 4 € 5.10

19500 COIL ASSY, IGNITION

90080-19019 1ZZFE, 3ZZFE..ZZT22*; (L) 4 € 88.29

90919-02239 1ZZFE, 3ZZFE..ZZT22*; (J) 4 € 88.29

91511-K0625 *** STD. PART € 0.72

Now, the main question is, does the car I own use 2 different types of spark plugs ? Or even more ?

Be good to know, as I am planning to take my car for a service at a non-Toyota garage. I've showed them service sheets of previous services which have been carried out at a toyota garage and as I said in the first post, from that it is not clear if and what has been/will have to be replaced. Trying to avoid paying a lot of money for expensive types of spark plugs that are not required in the first place.

Thanks

To Toyato,

If you want genuine plugs then buy Denso. All spark-plug suppliers Bosch, Champion & NGK to name a few all sell spark-plugs for your car, but each manufacturer will have its own designated code for set of plugs. They will all do the exact same job as each other as well as each other. Same as engine oil for your car you will find dozens of brands with the same rating, but i always use Castrol as that is what i have always used.

Regards, Beagh.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links