Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Moving On Up... Moving On Out!

Demonic Angel

I never meant to stay at my parents for almost 3 years.... honest! :rolleyes:

I'm now in a more viable financial state than I was and am finally looking to move into my own place.

It's proving a bit harder than I thought as obviously I have to make sure I can afford the rent, council tax, bills etc so need a place thats affordable but also somewhere where my cats will be welcome and happy....

I currently get notification emails of places within my criteria (1+ bedroom flat or house in my area with off-road parking) but all the ones I have seen so far that are remotely interesting don't allow pets :(

Luckily my folks are happy for us to stay put til I do find somewhere but leaving Jess & Alfie behind is not an option for me.

I've never rented before and am currently looking at letting agent properties only.... but wondering if I shouldn't rule out private letting completely.... my question is, do these landlords have rules & regulations to adhere to the same as letting agents (ie the house should be well-maintained and fit to live in, all appliances checked regularly etc) and what difference will it make for me to live in a privately rented house over one maintained by a letting agent, apart from it being a bit cheaper perhaps.

I'm assuming either way I will need to pay a bond upfront, which is fine, but what are my legal rights with regards to bonds to ensure I actually get it back when the tenancy is up - I've heard conflicting information about landlords and bonds and people not getting their bonds back so what's the legal stance on this?

Any information about renting would be gratefully received as my only experience of it was paying £200 a month to rent a room at a friends house for 6 months back when I was 20 and the only other experience was buying - and I'm not going down that route at the moment!

Hi Em, there are loads of regs that have to be adhered to by a landlord renting out either directly or through an agency.

not got a massive amount of experience of renting myself, but last time I did - about 3.5 years ago, I made sure I checked everything was in order and the inventory was accurate of everything in the place - down to any marks on carpets or walls and then when you leave, you can check off everything and there can be no arguements.

HTH

Not much help I know but when I rented a private flat, as soon as I got a puppy the landlord gave me notice to quit, I know it wont effect any prior arrangement but it is worth knowing ;)

The one thing I did do after being given notice was to register for a council flat, this wasn't as bad as I thought though because it turned out to be cheaper and gave a lot more personal freedom than with the private landlord.

Good luck with what ever happens :thumbsup:

Les

I currently rent out a flat and a house. Nowadays, landlords need to be registered;and the property needs to conform to health and safety stuff.... gas safety checks annually etc etc. In actual fact, renting a property is probably safer as who else gets their gas and electrics checked annually???

I don't believe in bonds and so on - just take 1 months rent on entry so that rent is paid in advance. One guy did leave owing me £1500 and we had to repaint the place but that the nature of the game. Course you never hear about all the bum tenants!! Another signed up for 6 months and quit after 3 months - left overnight owing a months rental....and her cat clawed the wallpaper throughout the house!!! Thats why pets aren't taken too kindly!!

And my father has been living with us for 4+ years free of charge!!!!

my house is on the market for £175 from £250, 7 bedrooms, full double glazing, gas central heating, sea views

Do you accept paypal?

Em, I rented that house you visited when I was moving out a year ago... If you are renting a house/flat then I would go through an agency as there is nothing 'personal' with the property, at the end of the day you dont have to have a relationship with the owner.

It prob feels more like your house if you dont know the owner!

I rented a few houses now, first I think you might struggle with the cats but might stand a better chance if you do go private and know the owner as you may be able to negotiate things like this. Agencies will generally have blanket contracts.

And yes to get bond back they check the inventory - we had a bit of a to do when left one house, and was stuggling to get it back over something minor and we couldnt prove it was like that when we moved in because we signed the inventory, but we left property a week early due to it being christmas, went back to down to cambridge to return key on christmas eve (as visiting family) day before contract end and went to check house one more time to find the owners in it. I did politely inform the agency if they did not return my deposit in full promptly they would find themselves in court for accessing the property without the required 24hours notice, they were very accomodating then. So anyway moral of story, make sure your inventory is accurate!! and note down any damage that was already there!

Thanks for the info.... it's a bit daunting as a. never rented before and b. never done it on my own!

But hey, gotta love a challenge!

I'm surprised at the amount of rentals that also don't allow children! Good job I don't have a child & cats, I'd be scuppered! :lol:

I have contacted an agent with a few properties I am interested in, asking about the pets clause. Hopefully they will come back with a positive answer!

if you say that you will get a cleaning firm in at the end of the rental period to do a professional clean if they are willing to take a pet, then that may help and it will also show that you will be treating their property with respect.

In a way, renting a property is like going for a job interview, so turn up to look at the place nicely presented, clean car, etc can make a hell of a difference - especially if you are going to negotiate with the owners direct.

Hi Em. Good luck with the move :thumbsup: I personally have never rented, but both my daughter & partner Have + Son & fiancee'. I presume that the regs here & with you are pretty similar. I-2 ,months rent in advance. Landlord must be registered. Inventory. You must get a rent book or receipts. The Landlord has the right, after giving due notice, to call in during your term of lease, to inspect. They generally only give 1 year's lease , here, because if it goes longer than that, you are automatically entitled to a 4 year lease.

The one rule here, which seems to be set in concrete is NO PETS.

My daughter kept her cat in a flat which she was sharing with her partner & her brother. She hid her when an inspection was due. I think the Landlord turned a blind eye, but obviously, she couldn't put in a cat flap.

If you are renting through an Agency, I think you can get the Agency to do an inspection before you move in, & similarly on moving out. saves rows over deposits.

Your business is none of mine :D , but rent is money down the drain & there probably will never be a better time to buy than now, with property prices @ rock bottom (hopefully)

Hi Em. Good luck with the move :thumbsup: I personally have never rented, but both my daughter & partner Have + Son & fiancee'. I presume that the regs here & with you are pretty similar. I-2 ,months rent in advance. Landlord must be registered. Inventory. You must get a rent book or receipts. The Landlord has the right, after giving due notice, to call in during your term of lease, to inspect. They generally only give 1 year's lease , here, because if it goes longer than that, you are automatically entitled to a 4 year lease.

The one rule here, which seems to be set in concrete is NO PETS.

My daughter kept her cat in a flat which she was sharing with her partner & her brother. She hid her when an inspection was due. I think the Landlord turned a blind eye, but obviously, she couldn't put in a cat flap.

If you are renting through an Agency, I think you can get the Agency to do an inspection before you move in, & similarly on moving out. saves rows over deposits.

Your business is none of mine :D , but rent is money down the drain & there probably will never be a better time to buy than now, with property prices @ rock bottom (hopefully)

RENT IS MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN.......

theres an argument there - being a landlord aint much fun either!!

There is of course the small matter of being able to get a mortgage.... the banks are hardly making it easy, plus I doubt they will give me very much!

Plus the sort of place I could afford (ie small flat on a percentage share) is not really the sort of home I'd want to buy - I'd much rather save a bit so I can put a deposit on a nice little house rather than a tiny flat that I don't even fully own....

You could also say buying a car is money down the drain, yet we all do it anyway! ;)

RENT IS MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN.......

Agreed :thumbsup:

Have you not read this?

As much as I agree, the chances of getting a mortgage for the sort of place I'd want to buy are slim.... the fact it's money down the drain is by the by... I have no other option!

And as I said, so is a car but no-one on here is complaining about that! :lol:

I quite understand what you are saying, EM, & appreciate it.Ultimately it is your call.

Only trying to help from the advantage point of my great age :wheelchair: :lol2: & experience (?)

Would/could your parents help you by going as guarantors in the Banks/ Building Societies? My daughter borrowed the deposit from the Credit Union & the rest from the Ins. Co. (Aviva) for whom she works.

The whole point in buying, & buying now, even if only a nice 1 bed flat, is that you have your foot on the Property Ladder @ the best possible time. You have a good , permanent & relatively well paid job now & the Financial Institutions will look favourably on this.

I don't know how things are with you, but @ the moment a 2 bed Apartment is renting for Euro1,200 per month here in my town. I'm not doing the math, but that roughly = £1k & THAT is mortgage money.

I wish you the best of luck & happiness in your new home. whatever you decide.

2 couples who hadn't met for a while bumped into each other. During the conversation, it emerged that 1 of the couples had sold their home & bought a smaller one. The 2nd couple assumed that they had done this because the other's family had grown & left the nest & that, therefore they didn't need so large a place.

"Oh no" said the 1st pair "We did it because they WOULDN'T leave home"

I quite understand what you are saying, EM, & appreciate it.Ultimately it is your call.

Only trying to help from the advantage point of my great age :wheelchair: :lol2: & experience (?)

Would/could your parents help you by going as guarantors in the Banks/ Building Societies? My daughter borrowed the deposit from the Credit Union & the rest from the Ins. Co. (Aviva) for whom she works.

The whole point in buying, & buying now, even if only a nice 1 bed flat, is that you have your foot on the Property Ladder @ the best possible time. You have a good , permanent & relatively well paid job now & the Financial Institutions will look favourably on this.

I don't know how things are with you, but @ the moment a 2 bed Apartment is renting for Euro1,200 per month here in my town. I'm not doing the math, but that roughly = £1k & THAT is mortgage money.

I wish you the best of luck & happiness in your new home. whatever you decide.

2 couples who hadn't met for a while bumped into each other. During the conversation, it emerged that 1 of the couples had sold their home & bought a smaller one. The 2nd couple assumed that they had done this because the other's family had grown & left the nest & that, therefore they didn't need so large a place.

"Oh no" said the 1st pair "We did it because they WOULDN'T leave home"

I appreciate your advice Victor and your years of wisdom (but I thought you were only 21! :wacko: )

There is another reason I cannot buy as I have a mortgage elsewhere and until that house sells (unlikely in this climate), I cannot buy anywhere else.

Renting will only be a short term thing for me, but it's an important step.

As for the future, I'm open to suggestions! :yes:

I have one piece of advice for you--when you get settled in, get renter's insurance. It's cheap, and will insure all your belongings in case of fire or other catastrophe. Don't presume that the landlord's insurance will cover your stuff, because in most cases it will not. I've seen this many times, some poor soul's apartment burns down and all they're left with is the clothes on their back.

but rent is money down the drain & there probably will never be a better time to buy than now, with property prices @ rock bottom (hopefully)

Rent money is not money down the drain if rent < than depreciation on a house, personally I don't think we will hit the bottom for at least 18 months.

Another option is one of those shared ownership deals where for example a 100k flat you get a mortgage for say 50k, then pay rent on the other 50k.

rent around here for a 2 bed apartment is only £450 then the agents take a fee and so does the factor. And then there's the insurance. Not a lot left.

Had some semi good news... well it is good but also slightly tinged

The agency I emailed said that most of their properties do accept pets on receipt of a "pet clause" which is great :D but it's £200 on top of my bond and its non-refundable.. :(

Looks like I'll need to save for a while longer!!

Had some semi good news... well it is good but also slightly tinged

The agency I emailed said that most of their properties do accept pets on receipt of a "pet clause" which is great :D but it's £200 on top of my bond and its non-refundable.. :(

Looks like I'll need to save for a while longer!!

I know ! Cats don't half tie you down & limit your options, if you care about them properly.I can't really go away overnight & leave my pair. My daughter works extremely long hours , work + study, so I don't like asking her to call in to feed them.

Natchi has been walking around all day, having extremely long & complicated Talks to me :unsure: I wish I knew what he is on about :(

I know.... I am contemplating waiting til October to move... purely because I am planning to go away in September and I'm concerned about leaving them - my Mum will look after them but it'd be unfair to uproot them and then go away....

Plus Jess has a few issues caused by separation and I'm not sure she could cope....

I am thinking of, if I do move in before I go away, to get my sister to house-sit while I'm away as they know her, but can I trust a 19 year old party animal to take care of them? lol

Talking of which - do I have to inform my landlord if I'm going on holiday?

I know.... I am contemplating waiting til October to move... purely because I am planning to go away in September and I'm concerned about leaving them - my Mum will look after them but it'd be unfair to uproot them and then go away....

Plus Jess has a few issues caused by separation and I'm not sure she could cope....

I am thinking of, if I do move in before I go away, to get my sister to house-sit while I'm away as they know her, but can I trust a 19 year old party animal to take care of them? lol

Talking of which - do I have to inform my landlord if I'm going on holiday?

From what I know from my Kids experience, I don't think you HAVE to, but it might do no harm to let him know it is empty. He might be inclined to keep an eye on his(your) property.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links