Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1.8 Sr Fan Cutting In Question

cbzcbz

Hi all,

Having owned my Yaris for a few weeks now, I've noticed that the engine fan cuts in a fair bit compared to most cars I've driven and wondered if this is normal? (I know it sounds a daft question but my knowledge on car mechanics etc is zero :$)

I'm not getting any engine hot warning lights on dash but it seems even on short journeys of around 8 miles the fan seems to cut in (not always stuck in traffic either) & after a few seconds the fan goes off again. Just wondered if anyone else experiences this and if it was normal, or if Toyota need to look at it? :unsure:

Any help from you guys would be appreciated :)

Sounds like its doing its job in not letting the 1.8 lump overheat. If you go on a longer journey with no stopping or starting I’m sure it won’t come on.

I wouldn’t be worried at all :thumbsup:

Thats good to hear :D I just thought the fan seem to be cutting in more often than any other car I've owned, and thought if its like this in the cold of winter, whats it like in the summer lol!? :D

I have been on some journeys and it hasn't cut in to be fair. I suppose I'll just keep an eye on it and see if anyone else on here has similar fan behaviour, and if it gets worse I'll take it to Toyota, but it sounds like its just me panicing lol! (Can you tell I once owned a Fiat!!)

Thanks again for your help TVOR :)

No problem :thumbsup:

In fact I would be more concerned if it wasn’t coming on and the red warning/over heating warning was illuminating

Bear in mind it’s a big engine in a tight space and it will generate a lot of heat. You may also find that your warm air will come through a lot quicker than other cars you may have had

Enjoy it :thumbsup:

You know, you are bang on there mate! :) Its good to know theres a fountain of knowledge on here lol :D. The heater does heat up quicker than other cars I've had too and is warmer in the cab than most cars.

Thanks again, and I sure will enjoy it :)

Having upgraded from a 1.0 T3 to the 1.8 SR the engine does warm up quicker which I'm glad of with these cold mornings we've been having, the fan does the same on mine with start stop driving so yes its doing its job.

Off topic abit, is it normal for the engine to rev up when changing up through the gears

Thanks Rich.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your input, puts my mind at ease :)

Yes mine does the same when changing up the gears. Usually as I dip the clutch the revs rise by about 300 rpm. I've read a few threads on here which say it is normal and something to do with the way VVTi engines work and the way they handle emissions? Just seems weird at first :$

Cheers just wanted to double check, all it needs now is a good clean and wax :) already got a chip on the rear bumper from gritters :censor: getting a quote from toyota on Thursday to get it fixed bet I end up doing it myself :lol:

Thanks flyfs6. Looks like its doing its job, and nowt to worry about. My minds at ease now so I can enjoy the car. Just need to clean it now :) :rolleyes:

Hi, Ive noticed the same on my 1.3

It only does it when the AC is on, so its to do with that, try turning off and see if any difference. The fan comes on automatically when the AC kicks in too.

Ian

Hi Shuffly,

It seems the fan cuts in even if AC is off. Mine did it again tonight as I got back on the drive from work. Just cuts in for about 3 seconds and goes off. I think its just doing the job by what the good peeps are saying on here :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

Having owned my Yaris for a few weeks now, I've noticed that the engine fan cuts in a fair bit compared to most cars I've driven and wondered if this is normal? (I know it sounds a daft question but my knowledge on car mechanics etc is zero :$)

I'm not getting any engine hot warning lights on dash but it seems even on short journeys of around 8 miles the fan seems to cut in (not always stuck in traffic either) & after a few seconds the fan goes off again. Just wondered if anyone else experiences this and if it was normal, or if Toyota need to look at it? :unsure:

Any help from you guys would be appreciated :)

Hi,

We own the 1.8 SR also 07 plate and have the same fan going at times. The fan comes in to keep the engine cool if it does not it would overheat so it is doing its job ok. As another person has mentioned it does seem to come on when AC is being used. Hope this has been of some help.

Hi,

Thanks for your input mate. Yes, it seems normal to all on here so I'm not worried any longer :) Its just previous cars I've owned don't cut in as often (only in heavy traffic). Its just piece of mind knowing everyone elses does it lol :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links