Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smell Problem

wahidhussain

hi all

i changed the cabin filter but it still smells like eggs in the car what could it be? it was serviced 5 mouths ago

and ive changed the cabin filter 4 days ago. Could it be the cat? becauce when i open my window it smells outside

i hope you guys can help

thanks

wahid

It's quite possible. Sulphur can build up in the cat over relatively short periods of time and a sudden surge of acceleration can cause this to 'shake off' producing the smell. Some cars do this from new although I haven't noticed it on Toyota's so the cat could be starting to fail.

Get your catalayic converter checked

Also check to see there is no exaust leak.

Possibly Air Conn (Bad smells in the aircon is usually caused by bacteria) for this you can buy spray

hi all

i changed the cabin filter but it still smells like eggs in the car what could it be? it was serviced 5 mouths ago

and ive changed the cabin filter 4 days ago. Could it be the cat? becauce when i open my window it smells outside

i hope you guys can help

thanks

wahid

Its neither. Its your air con. Try turning it up full to HI on auto and blow it for a few minutes, then gradually drop the temperature. That should sort it. A good tip is to constantly run your aircon all year round even at higher temperarure. It keeps your windows clear in the worst of weather. normally at this time of year I run it at 22 degrees and I am a Taxi driver. Try that. Good luck

hi all

i hope you guys can help

thanks

wahid

Its neither. Its your air con. Try turning it up full to HI on auto and blow it for a few minutes, then gradually drop the temperature. That should sort it. A good tip is to constantly run your aircon all year round even at higher temperarure. It keeps your windows clear in the worst of weather. normally at this time of year I run it at 22 degrees and I am a Taxi driver. Try that. Good luck

Just out of interest, what does that do to your fuel consumption? I dont run my aircon often, because everyone tells me its heavy on your mpg.

It could be the A/C but that usually gives of a musty drain kind of smell when bacteria is growing inside, rotten eggs is definitely an accurate description of sulphur but its worth looking into.

As for fuel economy, I know my current car isn't an Avensis although I did have one before, but I did a test in the Camry purely out of interest by driving the car for a full-tank at under 2000 rpm (upto about 60mph) with the A/C off and got 31MPG, but I still get 27MPG leaving the A/C on permanently and making plenty of use of the acceleration.

It could be the A/C but that usually givmes of a usty drain kind of smell when bacteria is growing inside, rotten eggs is definitely an accurate description of sulphur but its worth looking into.

As for fuel economy, I know my current car isn't an Avensis although I did have one before, but I did a test in the Camry purely out of interest by driving the car for a full-tank at under 2000 rpm (upto about 60mph) with the A/C off and got 31MPG, but I still get 27MPG leaving the A/C on permanently and making plenty of use of the acceleration.

i would try cleaning the the fliters and the cat as well then go and get it check out if doesn't work

hi all

and thanks for your replys

i have one more question can it make any difference in fuel consumption becauce im getting 250m on a full tank

again guys thanks :thumbsup:

wahid

hi all

and thanks for your replys

i have one more question can it make any difference in fuel consumption becauce im getting 250m on a full tank

again guys thanks :thumbsup:

wahid

Seems to be using a lot of juice, I get 200 from half a tank (02 1.8Vvti). Cat will be working overtime if it's running too rich. No engine management light on? When did you last change the air filter?

Seems to be using a lot of juice, I get 200 from half a tank (02 1.8Vvti). Cat will be working overtime if it's running too rich. No engine management light on? When did you last change the air filter?

hi all

no lights on and serviced 5 mouths ago with air , oil , fuel filters changed and oil changed

thanks for the replys

wahid

If you only get 250 miles per full tank, then surely it is either running too rich or you are thrashing the pan off it. What is your average mpg?

You need to run your air con for at least ten minutes on a very regular basis to ensure the system and it's seals remain lubricated. Cheaper that a regas and reseal.

If you only get 250 miles per full tank, then surely it is either running too rich or you are thrashing the pan off it. What is your average mpg?

You need to run your air con for at least ten minutes on a very regular basis to ensure the system and it's seals remain lubricated. Cheaper that a regas and reseal.

hi guys

been out for the weekend thanks for the replys

what do mean running too rich? and am not thrashing the pan off it i dont know my average mpg all i know is i do 150m then put 25 pounds fuel in

thanks again :thumbsup:

wahid

Running to rich means its burning to much petrol to oxygen.

It would appear this is the problem which would also cause the sulphurous smell, you appear to be getting around 24.6 MPG based on 150 miles at £25 which is less than I get from my Camry.

hi guys

been out for the weekend thanks for the replys

what do mean running too rich? and am not thrashing the pan off it i dont know my average mpg all i know is i do 150m then put 25 pounds fuel in

thanks again :thumbsup:

wahid

Hey,

I have a 98 1.8 manual avensis and I get about 90-100 miles driving on dual carriage ways and about 70miles when it’s a mix of town driving for roughly every 10 quid put in. Driving everywhere when the economy light on (sticking to the speed limits, with reasonable acceleration).

However I have seen me get over 120 miles for a tenner driving slower than my gran (not going over 50 and holding up tractors when getting up to speed)

That is just me in the car, with an empty boot, This improvement came after I finally decided to replace my sticky thermostat a few months ago, when the cold weather came. As the car was always running with the choke on ‘or warm up mode’, which wastes fuel. More importantly I got heat after replacing which was handy when it was -17 outside.

Too rich means more fuel than air. I know how to adjust carbs, not a clue with EFI. Check the air fitler, even though you had it replaced a while back it only takes a wee drive somewhere really dusty to clog it up and ruin everything.

hi guys

am going too check that this weekend and update you guys

once again thanks for the replys :thumbsup:

wahid

Quote from baza 16

"Too rich means more fuel than air. I know how to adjust carbs, not a clue with EFI. Check the air fitler, even though you had it replaced a while back it only takes a wee drive somewhere really dusty to clog it up and ruin everything."

Just a bit of added info for you.

Adjusting Carbs only usually adjusts the idle mixture, running mixture is set by the fixed jets in the carb. The exception being with the likes of S.U. carbs or Strombergs which have a variable jet/fixed choke system. (showing my age now)

With Fuel injection (modern systems), engine management sets the fuel/air ratio by calculations based on the various sensors. If it gets it wrong, the O2 sensors in the exhaust report back to the E.M. that it is running too rich/lean and the E.M. adjusts accordingly.

hi

update

had same time on my hands and Checked the air fitler it was clean

i guss i have too go to a garage

thanks for the replys

wahid

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links