Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Or 2.2 Or 2.0 Petrol?

CarlP

I am thinking about changing my 1.8 T3X this year. Frankly I haven't been impressed with a lot of aspects with this car but will (may?) remain loyal to Toyota if only because it fits in my garage.

I wan't leather again. I had it on my 2.0 CDX and I miss it. I find the black cloth horrid and shows every bit of fluff or smudge, hence if I am to have another Avensis it will be a T Spirit or T180.

The adverse comments about the T180 engine on here worry me and frankly any additional power is not really an issue given much of my driving will be a 5 mile commute! I only cover 6,000 miles a year (as I run two cars) so a diesel is not worthwhile?

You might find my choice of cars strange but if you've had leather then you cant go back cloth, especially grotty Toyota cloth! So which do you think would be the better option given likely purchase price (must be facelift 2006/7), running costs and driveability?

if you've had leather then you cant go back cloth, especially grotty Toyota cloth!

just shows that different people have different views - if I wanted leather (& the last car did have it) I would now be driving a Vauxhall Vectra Elite instead of an Avensis TR especially as the Vectra handled better & the Avensis was marginally dearer.

As you may have gathered I'm not a fan of leather upholstery. :P

Didn't think that they did a 2.0 litre petrol in the facelifted last generation Avensis or it must be very rare as I don't recall seeing 1 when I was buying.

The adverse comments about the T180 engine on here worry me and frankly any additional power is not really an issue given much of my driving will be a 5 mile commute! I only cover 6,000 miles a year (as I run two cars) so a diesel is not worthwhile?

Sorry mostly a 5 mile commute with 6k miles a yr? Unless theres a reason you need a big car ie carring big boxes to work, get something smaller eg yaris, auris, aygo. Covering 6000 miles a yr a diesel isnt worth it. A small petrol is better eg 1 litre. Gettin a big car just for leather is daft in my opinion as Leather istn all its cracked up to be. Personlly I like both the 1ltre yaris its a nice drive or the 1.4 diesel auris.

Heck for 5 miles get a push bike cost £1k for a shiniy all spangly one even get leather seat too if you want. A one off cost and no running cost other then the odd inner tube and bottle of oil for the chain.

Sorry I have a family so I need a family sized car for use at weekends etc. I don't want a Yaris, I want a man's car :rolleyes:

And I do have a racing bike and a damn sight more reliable and better looking than a Toyota it is too, but commuting by bike is not convenient at the moment.

Thanks for all your help, really useful.

Skoda VRS?

Id go for the 2.0 petrol if i was you, should be a lot more reliable than the diesel too. 2.0 with black leather mmm B)

The Skoda VRS is a lovely car too, great build quality.

To Carlp,

Noticed the Skoda, not a bad car no matter what people think. But if you really want to jump ship, maybe the Honda Accord with leather. If you have concerns regarding 2.2 diesel, why not try the 2 ltr petrol.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: Just a suggestion, so no need for anyone to shoot me down.

I have a T180 and I really like it. Comfortable, nippy and understated.

The last couple of weeks I've been driving SWMBO's Focus. Lovely car. Better-handling than the Avensis, but doesn't absorb the bumps quite as well.

I don't really want to jump ship yet and would be happy to have another Avensis. For the money I think the Avensis takes some beating in terms of an all round package and for mere mortals like me puts a quality car within reach. I used to have a 2.0 petrol CDX and it is a fine engine, probably the best in the Toyota range for many years and I think because of my lower than average mileage the numbers should stack up against a diesel. Contrary to what a previous poster said it is availabe in facelift form albeit less plentiful than the diesel.

Having said that I agree with Groovymucker about the T180. A real quandry.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links