Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant Leak From Bottle Cap

Dr Sam

Hi guys,

Today when I wanted to topup my coolent I noticed that collent get leak from bottle cap. And I think last time when i topup i didnt closed it properly.(Didnt make sure two arrow signs needs to be matched.).

Later i did matched arrow signs when close tight the cap, but coolent still get leaked. I think rat cap is hosed. Later took my car to local garage they did the pressure check and said there is no leakage on anyother place. machanic also told me it might be head gas kit. but he is not sure about.

But I dont agree with him beacuse my car NEVER get OVER HEATED. and Temperature gage always stays in the middle.

Can someone please share thoughts on this. Am I corrent about bottle cap problem or it is something else????????

Hi guys,

Today when I wanted to topup my coolent I noticed that collent get leak from bottle cap. And I think last time when i topup i didnt closed it properly.(Didnt make sure two arrow signs needs to be matched.).

Later i did matched arrow signs when close tight the cap, but coolent still get leaked. I think rat cap is hosed. Later took my car to local garage they did the pressure check and said there is no leakage on anyother place. machanic also told me it might be head gas kit. but he is not sure about.

But I dont agree with him beacuse my car NEVER get OVER HEADED. and Temperature gage always stays in the middle.

Can someone please share thoughts on this. Am I corrent about bottle cap problem or it is something else????????

Are you overfilling the expansion tank? (or bottle as you call it)

Did you have the pressure cap seal checked as well? If the pressure cap seal is leaking it will push excess coolant into the expansion tank.

Hi guys,

But I dont agree with him beacuse my car NEVER get OVER HEADED. and Temperature gage always stays in the middle.

Did you have the pressure cap seal checked as well? If the pressure cap seal is leaking it will push excess coolant into the expansion tank.

Is this pressure cap seal needs to be check by the mechanic then I'm not sure it is being checked explicitly. Do you think that could be a problem ?????????????

I dont think this problem is relted with Head gaskit beause temperature gauge never go above half way mark. please shed some light on this as well

tanks for your reply.

regards

Hi guys,

Is this pressure cap seal needs to be check by the mechanic then I'm not sure it is being checked explicitly. Do you think that could be a problem ?????????????

I dont think this problem is relted with Head gaskit beause temperature gauge never go above half way mark. please shed some light on this as well

tanks for your reply.

regards

If the head gasket has just started to go then it may not be enough to cause an overheat situation but enough to build up excess pressure in the coolant system and push coolant up into the expansion tank (pressure cap seal is pushed off it's seat by the pressure)

The same would happen if the pressure cap seal (or the spring) is faulty and not holding pressure in the system.

If the head gasket is going, a test for hydrocarbons (using an exhaust gas analyser) in the radiator top should show it up.

P.S. Dont fill the expansion tank to the top. It should have a max mark on it.

Hi guys,

tanks for your reply.

regards

If the head gasket has just started to go then it may not be enough to cause an overheat situation but enough to build up excess pressure in the coolant system and push coolant up into the expansion tank (pressure cap seal is pushed off it's seat by the pressure)

The same would happen if the pressure cap seal (or the spring) is faulty and not holding pressure in the system.

If the head gasket is going, a test for hydrocarbons (using an exhaust gas analyser) in the radiator top should show it up.

Thanks for the reply

Yes I have just noticed after reading your comments that I was over filling the tank. :(

Just to let you know more about symptoms so you can advice better. Yesterday I have done the test again - done idle start for 20 mins without expension tank cap. there was no sign of bubbles or coolent over flow or increase of temperature. even when interior heater is turn on with idle 2000 rpms for 3 mins.

Also did check the engine oil- it was clear transparent.( as i have recent get the oil changed) there was no traces of coolent being mixed in to engine oil.

2ndly I have tighten the cap beyound their normal closed sign. and driven the car for more than 40 miles and still there was no sign of over heating as before. plus this time there was no spray out of coolent from cap area. But small traces of coolent over flow from overflow pipe.

This morning I read your comments and didnt topup as you suggested.

Please tell me how can I do pressure cap seal check. do i have to go to garage for that??? I will surely get that hydrocarbons test as well and update back.

God forbid if this turn out to be head gasket then will it covered under my warranty. beacuse i have AA 5 star breakdown warranty.

I m really worried now.

Hi guys,

tanks for your reply.

regards

Thanks for the reply

Yes I have just noticed after reading your comments that I was over filling the tank. :(

Just to let you know more about symptoms so you can advice better. Yesterday I have done the test again - done idle start for 20 mins without expension tank cap. there was no sign of bubbles or coolent over flow or increase of temperature. even when interior heater is turn on with idle 2000 rpms for 3 mins.

Also did check the engine oil- it was clear transparent.( as i have recent get the oil changed) there was no traces of coolent being mixed in to engine oil.

2ndly I have tighten the cap beyound their normal closed sign. and driven the car for more than 40 miles and still there was no sign of over heating as before. plus this time there was no spray out of coolent from cap area. But small traces of coolent over flow from overflow pipe.

This morning I read your comments and didnt topup as you suggested.

Please tell me how can I do pressure cap seal check. do i have to go to garage for that??? I will surely get that hydrocarbons test as well and update back.

God forbid if this turn out to be head gasket then will it covered under my warranty. beacuse i have AA 5 star breakdown warranty.

I m really worried now.

Please help

I went to Nationwide they carryout coolant compression test and head gasket seapage test. they said head gasket is begining to fail. They have noticed no apparent coolant leak. it is at very initial stage.

I went back to toyota dealer, they quote roughly 2000 pounds for head gasket. and they said they will be some more diagnestic they will do to make sure. and then carry out head gasket, which put me in doubt again????

Please suggest is there possiability of something else like water pump or something else.????

I have talk to AA as well. they said since its not my fault so it will be covers and i can claim initial 500 of the cost. which will be bit of help.

Please help

I went to Nationwide they carryout coolant compression test and head gasket seapage test. they said head gasket is begining to fail. They have noticed no apparent coolant leak. it is at very initial stage.

I went back to toyota dealer, they quote roughly 2000 pounds for head gasket. and they said they will be some more diagnestic they will do to make sure. and then carry out head gasket, which put me in doubt again????

Please suggest is there possiability of something else like water pump or something else.????

I have talk to AA as well. they said since its not my fault so it will be covers and i can claim initial 500 of the cost. which will be bit of help.

HOW MUCH? £2000 for a head gasket?

The reason they say more diagnostics is that they won't take someone elses word for it and need to check for themselves.

But £2000 for a head gasket job? I'd tell them to go and **** themselves.

The reason they say more diagnostics is that they won't take someone elses word for it and need to check for themselves.

Please suggest is it ok to go to Nationwide for this repair.

Please suggest is it ok to go to Nationwide for this repair.

Don't know anything about Nationwide but there is no reason why any independant garage worth it's salt cannot do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Finally i got my engine striped down at local garage, find out that head gasket was problematic around 2nd cylender. But it is blown from face to towards engine not towards head.

Garage was reluctant to give me warranty for this repair as they suggested me for engine replacement - mainly beacuse same repair was done before. Getting a new engine was very expensive option and which I cant efford. Since i bought this car just two months ago, So I decided to call the dealer where I bought and explained whole story. The goods thing is that they are willing to take the car at their palce and do the repair themself and also willing to pay labour to my garage who strip down the engine.

Now i m really confused and stressed what terms should I discussed with the dealer. as if they just put new head gasket in, I'm doubtful it might blow again after few months then I might end up even worst crisis, and might have to change the engine.

So really dont know what to talk with my dealer. Anyone who had experience the head gasket problem please advice:

1- What sort of warranty should I ask from my dealer. As It become more important due to the fact that head gasket was repaired before the purchase.

2- Under consumer rights can i ask for exchange. (Buy some other car from same dealer) ???

3- Or anything else which help me to save money which i spend on this car.

Looking forward to see your valuable advice

Thanks

Sam

go to youre nearest toyota delaer and trade the car in , give them back there problem ,, yet again another head gasket fail!!!

Hi guys,

Finally i got my engine striped down at local garage, find out that head gasket was problematic around 2nd cylender. But it is blown from face to towards engine not towards head.

Garage was reluctant to give me warranty for this repair as they suggested me for engine replacement - mainly beacuse same repair was done before. Getting a new engine was very expensive option and which I cant efford. Since i bought this car just two months ago, So I decided to call the dealer where I bought and explained whole story. The goods thing is that they are willing to take the car at their palce and do the repair themself and also willing to pay labour to my garage who strip down the engine.

Now i m really confused and stressed what terms should I discussed with the dealer. as if they just put new head gasket in, I'm doubtful it might blow again after few months then I might end up even worst crisis, and might have to change the engine.

So really dont know what to talk with my dealer. Anyone who had experience the head gasket problem please advice:

1- What sort of warranty should I ask from my dealer. As It become more important due to the fact that head gasket was repaired before the purchase.

2- Under consumer rights can i ask for exchange. (Buy some other car from same dealer) ???

3- Or anything else which help me to save money which i spend on this car.

Looking forward to see your valuable advice

Thanks

Sam

I presume the car was bought from Toyota dealer and not an independant.

1 - I would expect no less than 6 months warranty.

2 - Tell them if you are not happy with the car, ask them to take it back in exchange for another car.

3 - If they fitted a new head gasket before you bought the car, it wasn't done to the correct standard if it has failed already, you should therefore have nothing to pay.

If done properly, a new head gasket Should last for years provided that the engine isn't overheated for any reason (shortage of coolant, thermal fan failure etc.)

go to youre nearest toyota delaer and trade the car in , give them back there problem ,, yet again another head gasket fail!!!

I bouhgt this car from local dealer. I am 2nd owner.

I will try to trade off. but i m not sure if they give me exchange option or not.

what you think should I exercise my consumer rights and ask for exchange or part trade??????

I bouhgt this car from local dealer. I am 2nd owner.

I will try to trade off. but i m not sure if they give me exchange option or not.

what you think should I exercise my consumer rights and ask for exchange or part trade??????

If you are not going to be happy or confident in the repair, I would ask for the exchange.

toyota have given me a 1 year warranty on my new head gasket replacement, i asked about mileage as im a taxi driver and they said 100k so you might have a case if the repair on the head was done recently.

toyota have given me a 1 year warranty on my new head gasket replacement, i asked about mileage as im a taxi driver and they said 100k so you might have a case if the repair on the head was done recently.

Had a detail talk with the dealer. they are offering me recondition engine replacement. Dont know much about this engine replacement. Have few concerns

can someone pleace clear following of my doubts.

1- How this engine replacement will effect on my value of the car, will there any depreciation ???

2- Will there be any downside of engine replacement.

3- Is there any other info worth knowing about engine replcement please do help me by explaining it.

waiting for your valuable response.

Had a detail talk with the dealer. they are offering me recondition engine replacement. Dont know much about this engine replacement. Have few concerns

1- How this engine replacement will effect on my value of the car, will there any depreciation ???

3- Is there any other info worth knowing about engine replcement please do help me by explaining it.

From what you have said, it sounds like the cylinder block face has taken some damage. If so, the best way forward is probably the recon engine.

If 'the dealer' you mention is a Toyota franchised dealer, then there should be no problems with a recon engine.

If they are not a franchised Toyota dealer, it will depend on the quality of the recon engine. There are some very 'iffy' reconditioners around.

Reconned engine should carry a full 12 months warranty.

From what you have said, it sounds like the cylinder block face has taken some damage. If so, the best way forward is probably the recon engine.

If 'the dealer' you mention is a Toyota franchised dealer, then there should be no problems with a recon engine.

If they are not a franchised Toyota dealer, it will depend on the quality of the recon engine. There are some very 'iffy' reconditioners around.

No its not a toyota dealer. its independant dealer where i bought this car. :(

Yes they are offering me 12 months warranty. But I am little concerned about unknowing downsides of engine replacement wheather in terms of car value or anyother ????

Yes they are offering me 12 months warranty. But I am little concerned about unknowing downsides of engine replacement wheather in terms of car value or anyother ????

I can't see why it should affect the value but if you are not happy, push them for an exchange car. They can sell yours again when they get it sorted.

I can't see why it should affect the value but if you are not happy, push them for an exchange car. They can sell yours again when they get it sorted.

I have another question

Do I have to update DVLA about my engine change and 2ndly how do I update engine no on my service log book. should I ask dealer to update new engine no my service log book and stamp it or I do it myself????

he !Removed! I have same thin my d4d 2.0 but I just leave it same way how it is cos the said to me its ahead gasket or the black in the top of the cylinder there’s crack it my it cos all the coolant leak from the bollel i have fit new cap and water pump and same think leaking from the Bootle cap ?????????????/ I don’t know what I do cos its not worth it to spend money in it :(

he !Removed! I have same thin my d4d 2.0 but I just leave it same way how it is cos the said to me its ahead gasket or the black in the top of the cylinder there’s crack it my it cos all the coolant leak from the bollel i have fit new cap and water pump and same think leaking from the Bootle cap ?????????????/ I don’t know what I do cos its not worth it to spend money in it :(

what i would do is fill the coolant bottle up with water and trade it into your local toyota dealer

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Finally I got my car back from dealer they have replaced the engine with recondition one. I'm driving it since last two days - everything is seem to be normal except when engine get hot, means after driving it about 10 miles, it gives knocking sound in 1st and 2nd gear when I stop on signals and start back again.

This is my first experience in diesel engine usually this kind of sound comes only when you have higher gears on slow speed.

any ideas what is could be??? plz help.

Thanks

Sam

Hi guys,

Finally I got my car back from dealer they have replaced the engine with recondition one. I'm driving it since last two days - everything is seem to be normal except when engine get hot, means after driving it about 10 miles, it gives knocking sound in 1st and 2nd gear when I stop on signals and start back again.

This is my first experience in diesel engine usually this kind of sound comes only when you have higher gears on slow speed.

any ideas what is could be??? plz help.

Thanks

Sam

Sam

we have naturally lost the core of this problem due to age :)

The most probably this sound corresponds to poor injection.

Cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links