Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Petrol - Gearbox & Transfer Box Filling

Mr Grumpy

Hi guys, bit of a lurker here ,many thanks for letting me join.

My question to the members is :

I have a Rav4 2.0 petrol, just done a clutch on it, not a bad job, about 8 hours & a few swearwords thrown in, the only problem i had was the gearbox oil cooler pipes were seized into the gearbox unions & the oil cooler, must admit i have never seen this set up in a manual box before, mostly confined to auto boxes, but the two pipes which were flexi pipes i had to cut to help with the removal of the box ! The two pipes ordered from Toyota at a cost of £62.00 each :o & a union at £8.00, but i noticed from the diesel pictures that where the petrol gearbox oil cooler pipes are the diesel ones are looped back into the gearbox, any idea why this is a different set up :unsure:

ive searched the forum & came up with Anchorman's excellent post & pictures on re-filling the gearbox & transfer box up after a transmission oil change as i had to take the prop off in the process of taking the gearbox out naturally the gearbox oil came out of the tail shaft.

I have the filling capacities for the gearbox which if correct for a petrol is 5.0ltrs of EP 75/90 can someone confirm this is correct, but im missing the data on the transfer box filling capacity, i dont think ive lost any oil from it, but just want to put my mind at rest, is it the same as the diesel capacity & oil type as quoted by Anchorman

0.9 litres of Hypoid API GL5 SAE 90.

many thanks for any replies :)

Well, that seems far from being a "Grumpy" post to me. :)

But why lurk so long eh? :D (just kidding)

You don't say what generation of RAV, but I'll assume the second gen (4.2).

Petrol service data sheet is attached. Should have all the info you need. This is the latest one I have. I've got earlier ones (2002 and 2003), but I don't think there is much difference. Shout if you want the others.

I'm sure AM will do the same if I'm not around, 'cause I know he has these, but chances are he's shovelling coal into "The Tornado" or something similar at the moment. - In fact he isn't, because I've just notice before posting that he's been and pipped me to it while I was composing this. :rolleyes:

Oh and welcome by the way. Always good to see somebody doing a bit of DIY maintenance :thumbsup:

rav4_petrol1.jpg

rav4_petrol2.jpg

EDIT: And now I see he's attached the pdf as well. Oh well, never mind, I'm sorry for the duplication. :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Well, that seems far from being a "Grumpy" post to me. :)

if it was'nt for those pesky kids i would'nt be so grumpy ;)

many thanks for the reply guys :)

i noticed from the diesel pictures that where the petrol gearbox oil cooler pipes are the diesel ones are looped back into the gearbox, any idea why this is a different set up :unsure:

The diesel runs much cooler than the petrol which probably explains this.

i noticed from the diesel pictures that where the petrol gearbox oil cooler pipes are the diesel ones are looped back into the gearbox, any idea why this is a different set up :unsure:

The diesel runs much cooler than the petrol which probably explains this.

perhaps the oil burner is just not so powerful and hence doesn't put the transmission thru so much?? :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links