Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Gearbox

kct1

Hi everyone. I haven't been on the forum for a long time, but thought I would air my disatisfaction with Toyota UK right here.

Now, I know I have had my Corolla 1.6 5 door for 5 years, and it is coming up 7 years old, but living on the Isle of Wight means mileage is only around 4k a year. I purchased my model with only 3700 miles on the clock and it has now just tipped the 30k mark and well looked after. From around 29,500 miles I began to get a weird over noise coming from the gear box and this persisted to a clicking noise in 4th and 5th gear. This has now been diagnosed as a gear box problem and possibly a bearing. I contacted my dealer who confirmed this via driving and listening to the vehicle but not via any strip down. I also had another garage confirm this the same way.

Toyota UK does not want to know about it as it is outside the warranty and the dealer just shrugs it off as bad luck. It is obvious that Toyota UK have little regard for customer care outside their legal warranty and so it seems I am left to pay for the repair myself. Do I feel sick? You know the answer to that one.

This has left me feeling let down by the myth of Toyota quality and trouble free motoring, which is what Toyota have built their reputation on in the UK at least. Perhaps it is time for a change and maybe away from Japanese cars. I will definitely be considering a VW the next time I'm ready to buy - and that could well be sooner than later I think.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Regards...Keith

My daughters got a VW Polo which is low mileage and has endless problems.

My father has a 2004 Fiat Punto 3 door, done only 24,000 miles in the 4 years. Its had 4 clutches - the clutch plate is the size of a very small saucer. The 5th gear went missing and changing from 2nd to 3rd or 4th was an adventure. We had to put another gearbox in. Fiat coughed up absolutely nothing.

My RAV4 bought in 1994 is still going strong albeit I got rid of the crap Toyota front brake calipers; and the 3SFE engine had seized.

I bought a landrover a year ago and since then have managed only 120 miles in it. Its been in the garage since last August.

My other daughter bought a Peugeot 307 new - and since then she's had endless and continuing problems with the brakes - pedal going hard as if the servo has packed up...and she's not the only one having this problem. She's going to trade it in rather than put up any longer.

I could give you a string of stories about all the Fords I have had.

My Renault minibus couldn't get seen by any Renault dealers nearby cos none of them could accommodate a high top van.

There we are - just yer luck so it seems ?

My daughters got a VW Polo which is low mileage and has endless problems.

My father has a 2004 Fiat Punto 3 door, done only 24,000 miles in the 4 years. Its had 4 clutches - the clutch plate is the size of a very small saucer. The 5th gear went missing and changing from 2nd to 3rd or 4th was an adventure. We had to put another gearbox in. Fiat coughed up absolutely nothing.

My RAV4 bought in 1994 is still going strong albeit I got rid of the crap Toyota front brake calipers; and the 3SFE engine had seized.

I bought a landrover a year ago and since then have managed only 120 miles in it. Its been in the garage since last August.

My other daughter bought a Peugeot 307 new - and since then she's had endless and continuing problems with the brakes - pedal going hard as if the servo has packed up...and she's not the only one having this problem. She's going to trade it in rather than put up any longer.

I could give you a string of stories about all the Fords I have had.

My Renault minibus couldn't get seen by any Renault dealers nearby cos none of them could accommodate a high top van.

There we are - just yer luck so it seems ?

Thread repeated in Corolla section.

Bothwell explains his previous car issues in PERFECT english!! Are you bi-polar? :P