Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Foaming Coolant!

Supraniac

Hi everyone. I've just noticed this morning as I was filling up my coolant with the engine running (from cold) that it is foaming at the filler neck. Its not overheating yet at any point but it is using a lot of water. Maybe 1 litre per 25-30 miles and i cannot see any leaks anywhere. Someone tells me that this could be the start of a head gasket failure. The coolant is also very rusty looking despite being changed about 2 months ago. The rad cap has also been changed at the same time for a toyota one. Any ideas anyone? Cheers.

yeh that does sound like head gasket on its way out im sorry to say have you got a block tester this would tell you straight away if the gasket is away

yeh that does sound like head gasket on its way out im sorry to say have you got a block tester this would tell you straight away if the gasket is away

Hmm. I was hoping it wasn't the head gasket. I should be getting a block tester this week hopefully. I'm told it's a big job to repair a HG so I don't think i'll bother to get a quote for my local dealer!

Any tips on repairing it myself guys?

Hi everyone. I've just noticed this morning as I was filling up my coolant with the engine running (from cold) that it is foaming at the filler neck. Its not overheating yet at any point but it is using a lot of water. Maybe 1 litre per 25-30 miles and i cannot see any leaks anywhere. Someone tells me that this could be the start of a head gasket failure. The coolant is also very rusty looking despite being changed about 2 months ago. The rad cap has also been changed at the same time for a toyota one. Any ideas anyone? Cheers.

could be head gasket has it got dinosaur snot in the oil filler cap?if it has it probably is.is there rusty coloured water stain on outside of block by gasket

if not could bes a coolant leak somewhere else ,check the hoses and the rad, get someone to put a pressure test on it ,the leak will then be evident

The water is very rusty looking but there is nothing 'milky' on the oil filler cap.

ok so you def got a coolant leak external of the engine ,next step is to get a pressure test on the coolant system

and find out where its leaking .then fix the part thats leaking.

good luck

Latest Update:

Finally managed to do a 'sniff' test with a block tester and...... oh dear. Yep, the liquid turned yellow. Looks like i've joined the Blown Head gasket Club! I'm now planning a major strip down of the motor. Oh well. Thanks for the help anyway guys.